Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009   #501
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39290 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Sorry I wasn't around a couple hours ago.

Unger for the Bills in round 2 is good. I like it. My Crabtree pick is kind of questionable now, but of course TO will only be around for 1 maybe 2 years in Buffalo.
No, it's not questionable... Crabtree is a good pick at #11 regardless.
Old 03-11-2009   #502
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Delmas was a bad pick for the Texans. Delmas is a very good player and good value in the 2nd but he's a FS and we just resigned Eugene Wilson to a 3 yr. contract at FS. We need a SS, Patrick Chung would have been a better pick, and no he's not Oriental, he's black and considered the best SS in the draft.
Old 03-11-2009   #503
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39290 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Screw it, switch it back then. I was only playing a joke and now everyone is getting all pissy about it.
We were already setting up a press conference welcoming Harvin to Houston...
Old 03-11-2009   #504
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
We were already setting up a press conference welcoming Harvin to Houston...
RJ would really be pissed with me now!

Sorry about the joke to some of you. I didn't set it up to well, so it was kind of like I punk'd everyone. I truly was joking though. Never meant to piss anyone off.
Old 03-11-2009   #505
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Delmas was a bad pick for the Texans. Delmas is a very good player and good value in the 2nd but he's a FS and we just resigned Eugene Wilson to a 3 yr. contract at FS. We need a SS, Patrick Chung would have been a better pick, and no he's not Oriental, he's black and considered the best SS in the draft.
The Texans dont have a true SS or FS though. Delmas was certainly the bdpa at the spot. Chung, though, was on my radar but my mind was still deadset on Harvin--- I mean Delmas. I just don't have much confidence in Barber and think there is no way he goes into this season as the starter. We also need to get younger and get more depth at S.
Old 03-11-2009   #506
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Next 5...

47.) New England Patriots Select: rmartin65

48.) Denver Broncos Select: Kaiser Toro

49.) Chicago Bears Select: jgl35

50.) Cleveland Browns (f/TB) Select: HOU-TEX

51.) Dallas Cowboys Select: Honoring Earl 34
Old 03-11-2009   #507
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans dont have a true SS or FS though. Delmas was certainly the bdpa at the spot. Chung, though, was on my radar but my mind was still deadset on Harvin--- I mean Delmas. I just don't have much confidence in Barber and think there is no way he goes into this season as the starter. We also need to get younger and get more depth at S.
That's just it. Chung would replace Barber; Delmas replaces Wilson.

But, I'm fine with the pick.

I'm just sayin.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2009   #508
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's just it. Chung would replace Barber; Delmas replaces Wilson.

But, I'm fine with the pick.

I'm just sayin.
What makes you think they want to replace Barber? We just drafted him and I think they like what he can become and want to give him a shot.

Wilson on the other hand is a stop gap signing. 3 years? That means they want someone this year, and maybe next year as a backup, but the position will end up with Delmas getting the start in 2010, or if Wilson goes down with an injury in 2009.
Old 03-11-2009   #509
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
What makes you think they want to replace Barber? We just drafted him and I think they like what he can become and want to give him a shot.

Wilson on the other hand is a stop gap signing. 3 years? That means they want someone this year, and maybe next year as a backup, but the position will end up with Delmas getting the start in 2010, or if Wilson goes down with an injury in 2009.
He is referring to position they play and who would most likely start.
Old 03-11-2009   #510
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I felt Wilson and Ferguson did an okay job at FS/SS. Barber, IMO, can step up and take that safety spot in a few years, however, adding another sefety wouldn't hurt either. I like Chung because of his aggression and the blows he delivers but his coverage skills are lacking.
Old 03-11-2009   #511
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we just get two versatile guys that can handle the duties of both safety spots and just play left/right safeties instead of free/strong.

Let's draft William Moore in the 2nd round this year and Eric Berry/Taylor Mays in the 1st round next year and then we will be set.

Put Moore on the left side and Berry/Mays on the right side and then they just declare based on offensive formation.
Old 03-11-2009   #512
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Personally, I felt Wilson and Ferguson did an okay job at FS/SS. Barber, IMO, can step up and take that safety spot in a few years, however, adding another sefety wouldn't hurt either. I like Chung because of his aggression and the blows he delivers but his coverage skills are lacking.
Exactly. Delmas was more attractive to me because he can cover. At least, from what I have seen he can.
Old 03-11-2009   #513
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

So I get back from class, and start reading what I missed. Imagine my excitement when Harvin was chosen, leaving my Patriots my top rated safety! Then my hopes were dashed seconds later as I read further. Bah...

With the 47th pick in the 2009 TexansTalk draft, the New England Patriots select CB Jairus Byrd, from Oregon.

My initial look was safety, but there were no FS's left that I thought would be worth the pick. S is covered with Meriweather. CB seemed like the next best secondary help, and I think I got the last of the top tier guys.
Old 03-11-2009   #514
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. Delmas was more attractive to me because he can cover. At least, from what I have seen he can.
Are we going to be running a lot of man coverage with our safeties next year? I ask because i haven't read much about any defensive changes we will be making under the new coordinator.

Chung's man ability is suspect but he can zone just as well as any other safety in this class.

I agree that Delmas is superior in man coverage though. I don't even think that's debatable.
Old 03-11-2009   #515
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
So I get back from class, and start reading what I missed. Imagine my excitement when Harvin was chosen, leaving my Patriots my top rated safety! Then my hopes were dashed seconds later as I read further. Bah...

With the 47th pick in the 2009 TexansTalk draft, the New England Patriots select CB Jairus Byrd, from Oregon.

My initial look was safety, but there were no FS's left that I thought would be worth the pick. S is covered with Meriweather. CB seemed like the next best secondary help, and I think I got the last of the top tier guys.
Dadgum, you must like this guy a lot. Obviously you've done some research on him. Fill us in, I don't know much about him.
Old 03-11-2009   #516
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I say we just get two versatile guys that can handle the duties of both safety spots and just play left/right safeties instead of free/strong.

Let's draft William Moore in the 2nd round this year and Eric Berry/Taylor Mays in the 1st round next year and then we will be set.

Put Moore on the left side and Berry/Mays on the right side and then they just declare based on offensive formation.
"Noice!"

Right on man, I think we have been doing the 2 versatile safeties thing but we've always had guys lean more towards being SS rather than FS. Since we have Wilson and a shot at Delmas apparently I say we try it from the more FS than SS side and see what that gets us, if anything different. Maybe some more picks? I dunno but I also like your idea here so whatever. Moore another SS type more than FS right? He certainly fits our bill.
Old 03-11-2009   #517
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 161683 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm picking for Dallas and I'm looking for the police reports on players ... any hints .
Old 03-11-2009   #518
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Dadgum, you must like this guy a lot. Obviously you've done some research on him. Fill us in, I don't know much about him.
I can't speak for rmartin65, but for my part, this isn't a reach.

I have Byrd rated as a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect. And he is the top rated CB on my board right now.

He can play zone, but his man ability is a little suspect.

As far as ability goes, I think he is right on par with Victor Harris (Virginia Tech), but he is less physical and has better hands. He will get some picks.
Old 03-11-2009   #519
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:

I have Byrd rated as a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect. And he is the top rated CB on my board right now.

As far as ability goes, I think he is right on par with Victor Harris (Virginia Tech), but he is less physical and has better hands. He will get some picks.
Thanks, this is pretty much how I feel. I like the idea of Byrd back there with the pass rush the Patriots should get. 17 picks in 3 years.
Old 03-11-2009   #520
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's cool. I definitely wasn't ragging on the pick. I hadn't heard much of anything about him to rag on.

Props to y'all on doing the research.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read