Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default P-Burnt gets 8.5 Million contract with the Lions

The Detroit Lions continued to upgrade their tattered secondary by reaching a two-year agreement with Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Phillip Buchanon.

The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Buchanon agreed to a two-year, $8.5 million contract, according to a source. The Bucs were trying to re-sign him. Earlier Wednesday, the Bucs agreed to a three-year, $8 million deal with Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jackson.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953165
I dunno, how does this guy stay in the league ? Just another example of how valuable CBs are, apparently any CBs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: P-Burnt gets 8.5 Million contract with the Lions

When you're young, all you need are good measurements. Once you're getting up there, all you need is one or two good seasons under your belt. People will forget the one time you played two handed touch football with the Steelers.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #3
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The Detroit Lions continued to upgrade their tattered secondary by reaching a two-year agreement with Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Phillip Buchanon.

The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Buchanon agreed to a two-year, $8.5 million contract, according to a source. The Bucs were trying to re-sign him. Earlier Wednesday, the Bucs agreed to a three-year, $8 million deal with Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jackson.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953165
I dunno, how does this guy stay in the league ? Just another example of how valuable CBs are, apparently any CBs.

Its like left handed pitchers! I heard Florio this am say thats not out of line for a CB, even a crappy one. Between the market falling again and hearing P-Burnt is getting that kind of money I really feel as if the world is off its axis.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

How can we make the worst team ever even worse?
They sure better use him in the right, specific way, or they will have done just that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I told a friend who is a Lions fan to enjoy P Burnt playing his O'lay defense.
Old 03-05-2009   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

He played fine once he left Houston so that's got to say something for what we were doing with him here. Is he a great CB? Of course not. Does he merit (in hindsight) his draft position? Nope. Is he worth that money in the NFL if he plays like he did for Tampa Bay? Absolutely.

We brought Buchanon in to develop but forgot that our coaching staff was utterly incapable of developing anyone and in fact routinely "down-coached" free agents who appeared to get worse right before our eyes. During the C&C years players came to Houston to get overpaid as their careers died. Buchanon was fortunate to escape that.
Old 03-05-2009   #7
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda makes 4.5 mil over three years for David Anderson seem a little less cuckoo, doesn't it?
Old 03-05-2009   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
He played fine once he left Houston so that's got to say something for what we were doing with him here. Is he a great CB? Of course not. Does he merit (in hindsight) his draft position? Nope. Is he worth that money in the NFL if he plays like he did for Tampa Bay? Absolutely.

We brought Buchanon in to develop but forgot that our coaching staff was utterly incapable of developing anyone and in fact routinely "down-coached" free agents who appeared to get worse right before our eyes. During the C&C years players came to Houston to get overpaid as their careers died. Buchanon was fortunate to escape that.

Well said. That coaching staff couldn't develop players; potential never changed to effective play. I wonder how some careers would have been different if they hadn't gone through the Texans at the exact time when the player needed better coaching.
Old 03-05-2009   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Well said. That coaching staff couldn't develop players; potential never changed to effective play. I wonder how some careers would have been different if they hadn't gone through the Texans at the exact time when the player needed better coaching.
It also could be the system. P Burnt fit the Tampa 2 better than man or bump and run (since he was afraid of contact).
Old 03-05-2009   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It also could be the system. P Burnt fit the Tampa 2 better than man or bump and run (since he was afraid of contact).

There were a a lot more coaching failures than just P-Buc. I think that inept coaching was the root cause of the loser attitude that the team might have finally exorcised late last year.

I know this isn't popular around here, but if the coaching staff was a 2 on a scale of 10, I'd give Casserly a 5 relative to them. They ruined any talent he did happen to bring in.
Old 03-05-2009   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Despite all his knocks, the guy was a solid corner for Tampa Bay, I'm surprised they couldn't bring him back.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There were a a lot more coaching failures than just P-Buc. I think that inept coaching was the root cause of the loser attitude that the team might have finally exorcised late last year.

I know this isn't popular around here, but if the coaching staff was a 2 on a scale of 10, I'd give Casserly a 5 relative to them. They ruined any talent he did happen to bring in.
Whether people want to admit it or not, Casserly was responsible for our most successful draft in franchise history. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy or excuse the results of alot of his decisions, just giving the guy credit for a heck of a draft.

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-05-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I realize that the Cover-2 they ran in TB didn't reguire the kind of physical player that the Texans were looking for in the more Man oriented coverage they wanted from their corners here in Houston.
But he's a defensive football player who is expected to make tackles from time to time, and I'm still surprised that teams are willing to shell out millions of dollars for him since he obviously has an utter aversion for contact, unless he can some how cover receivers like Dieon Saners did, and I don't think he can. He is a reasonable capable punt returner, but beyond that I don't get it ?
Old 03-05-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Whether people want to admit it or not, Casserly was responsible for our most successful draft in franchise history. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy or excuse the results of alot of his decisions, just giving the guy credit for a heck of a draft.
Which draft are you referring to? If it is the Mario draft, the answer would be ummm, no on giving Casserly credit until the 4th round where he convinced Kubiak to take OD. That story tells you exactly who was in control of that draft.

Quote:
I realize that the Cover-2 they ran in TB didn't reguire the kind of physical player that the Texans were looking for in the more Man oriented coverage they wanted from their corners here in Houston.
But he's a defensive football player who is expected to make tackles from time to time, and I'm still surprised that teams are willing to shell out millions of dollars for him since he obviously has an utter aversion for contact, unless he can some how cover receivers like Dieon Saners did, and I don't think he can. He is a reasonable capable punt returner, but beyond that I don't get it ?
He has played much more physically in Tampa.
Old 03-05-2009   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:

It's quite possible that Texans fans who he has betrayed and personally offended rate him more harshly than less personally invested talent evaluators.
Old 03-05-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's quite possible that Texans fans who he has betrayed and personally offended rate him more harshly than less personally invested talent evaluators.
But it's probably impossible for any Texan fan to be as critical of him as his own teammate Dunta Robinson was on the sidelines moments after P-Burnts pathetic non-play, non-tackle of Steeler Willie Parker as the back approached his area of the EZ. I never saw a scholastic player wimp-out on contact like that, let alone in college. And this was an "NFL-football player" (allegedly).
Old 03-05-2009   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Whether people want to admit it or not, Casserly was responsible for our most successful draft in franchise history.
It's true, Casserly was atleast in part very instrumental in far and away the best Draft the Texans have ever had.
Old 03-05-2009   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think "responsible" is the right word. "Involved in", I could agree to. But he wasn't solely responsible for that draft and I don't think he had a big hand in it.

This coaching staff definitely does a better job of developing the players it gets but I think we're also drafting our players better. Casserly didn't have that great a history drafting in Washington, either.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think "responsible" is the right word. "Involved in", I could agree to. But he wasn't solely responsible for that draft and I don't think he had a big hand in it.

This coaching staff definitely does a better job of developing the players it gets but I think we're also drafting our players better. Casserly didn't have that great a history drafting in Washington, either.
Yeah, you're right that's the wrong word, but there aren't many G.M.s in this league that have absolute power anyways.....it's usually a combined effort. Casserly was involved and I don't think this board wants to give him any credit. Who's to say him letting Capers' be involved didn't lead to alot of his crappy choices.

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-05-2009   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Casserly wasn't responsible for all the busts either. He was only involved in them!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read