Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2009   #1
was385
Rookie

Default Texans a Suitor for Shawn Springs

According to the washington post:

"Jason La Canfora reports that Springs, released Friday in a cap-savings move, is in Philadelphia meeting with the Eagles. He also visited New England on his free-agent tour and Houston and New Orleans are options as well, a league source said."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...edskinsinsider
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans a Suitor for Shawn Springs

this guy is a little to injury prone for me

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Shawn Springs used to be a good player.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #4
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

it says we are an option for a visit...not even that he is planning on visiting
Old 03-03-2009   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
it says we are an option for a visit...not even that he is planning on visiting
Thank the Lord. I am really not interested in a 33 year old CB that has an injury history.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If he could replace Petey I'd be all for it

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Thank the Lord. I am really not interested in a 33 year old CB that has an injury history.
Almost as old as our GM... no thanks.
Old 03-03-2009   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
If he could replace Petey I'd be all for it
Rather draft one.
Old 03-03-2009   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

He could add depth to our secondary so I wouldn't be against the move at all.
Old 03-03-2009   #10
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

next....
Old 03-03-2009   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could push for a starting spot opposite Dunta. He won't play all 16 but he is still good when he plays. I was hoping we would look at him.
Old 03-03-2009   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, how sweet. I didn't know we were running an Old Cornerbacks Home.

When is Cris Dishman due to visit?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

Ugh.....I dunno....I'd sign him if we can get him in cheap.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly,

I wouldn't do a long deal. But I'd do a year or two. I wouldn't pay out the wazoo for him, but the experience alone is worth something if you ask me. I've always felt that Daunta's development (and he hasn't had a year as good as his rookie year since) was hindered by the fact that we got rid of virtually all of your veteran corners. Yeah we've brought in a few old guys who were never anything more than marginal, but Springs used to be a very very good corner. He still has some coverage ability when healthy and I think with the talk (from the board) of us drafting a corner to go with our 2 young and studs (Molden and Bennet) and Daunta, who is still fairly young, we could benefit from this. I have no idea what kind of contract he wants and I wouldn't do something that strapped us up against the cap but if you ask me the one area of the team that is going to be both the youngest and least experienced, its the DBs. Now how does the current leader, Daunta, feel about that? I don't know.

Just food for thought. Not really jumping on the sign him bandwagon... but the first thing that came to mind was "I wish we had someone here to mentor these kids".

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oh, how sweet. I didn't know we were running an Old Cornerbacks Home.

When is Cris Dishman due to visit?
I saw where dishman is taking a coaching slot doing what Bruce Mathews is doing. He's not an option unless we're giving away picks.

Old 03-04-2009   #16
MadBurgerMaker
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 MadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden cover

When I googled his name, his wiki article popped up as one of the top results. It says this in the google window:

Quote:
Shawn Springs (born March 11, 1975 in Williamsburg, Virginia) is an American football cornerback who is currently on the Houston Texans. ...
But this:

Quote:
Shawn Springs (born March 11, 1975 in Williamsburg, Virginia) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent.
In the article itself.
MadBurgerMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

A 1 year deal for the vet minimum and I would be ok with signing Springs. Anything more then that and it would be a poor signing.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Honestly,

I wouldn't do a long deal. But I'd do a year or two. I wouldn't pay out the wazoo for him, but the experience alone is worth something if you ask me. I've always felt that Daunta's development (and he hasn't had a year as good as his rookie year since) was hindered by the fact that we got rid of virtually all of your veteran corners. Yeah we've brought in a few old guys who were never anything more than marginal, but Springs used to be a very very good corner. He still has some coverage ability when healthy and I think with the talk (from the board) of us drafting a corner to go with our 2 young and studs (Molden and Bennet) and Daunta, who is still fairly young, we could benefit from this. I have no idea what kind of contract he wants and I wouldn't do something that strapped us up against the cap but if you ask me the one area of the team that is going to be both the youngest and least experienced, its the DBs. Now how does the current leader, Daunta, feel about that? I don't know.

Just food for thought. Not really jumping on the sign him bandwagon... but the first thing that came to mind was "I wish we had someone here to mentor these kids".

Mike
Looking at the experience angle only, we have Jacques Reeves, Dunta & Nick Ferguson as projected starters who can teach. With the possible addition of a FS in draft, I am not as concerned about our DBs. This off season should do what we all hoped by bringing the team up another notch. I would not be interested in Springs.
Old 03-04-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Looking at the experience angle only, we have Jacques Reeves, Dunta & Nick Ferguson as projected starters who can teach. With the possible addition of a FS in draft, I am not as concerned about our DBs. This off season should do what we all hoped by bringing the team up another notch. I would not be interested in Springs.
Wilson would start, with a drafte to learn at a slower pace. Look for a free and strong saftey this year, to groom. We have experience, they just need to play together. Look for DT help if Raji falls, otherwise, OLB.
Old 03-04-2009   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

Mike
The lead kid is gone in Hoke. Hopefully Gibbs and a more hands on Rhodes will have an impact. The other benefit we have this year in my opinion, short term that is, is that we have a player in a make or break contract year in Dunta. I expect Dunta to have a killer year and lead by example on how a professional is suppossed to take care of business.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read