Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-02-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default How long do you give Jim Shwartz.....

If you were the Lions FO, going into this, you know what you've got, how long do you give Jim Shwartz to turn this into a winning team?

What goals do you set for him this year?
Old 03-02-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How long do you give Jim Shwartz.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you were the Lions FO, going into this, you know what you've got, how long do you give Jim Shwartz to turn this into a winning team?

What goals do you set for him this year?
I think between 4-6 six wins isn't to much to ask.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Four years

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #4
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Four years
He'll never get four years in this football climate. Perhaps thats what the Lions should do, but in reality, if there aren't at least 4/5 wins this season, I can't see him staying around for another one.
mattieuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #5
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Sparano took the Miami Dolphins after a 1-15 record and turned them into a Wild Card playoff team. Mike Smith took the Falcons after the Vick drama and a team whose previous HC left his team and led them to a 11-5 record and a Wild Card playoff.

With this in mind, most fans might expect the same from Schwartz but I'll give Schwartz 2-3 years because the Lions are worse then the teams above.

The Lions have very few *star* players, no go-to QB, an awful defense, and an o-line that flicks off its fans (Dominic Rioala) and gives up 52 QB sacks.

The Lions fans are good and will give Schwartz IMO some time to get the players for whatever system he may install, but I think 2-3 years sounds good.

Last edited by Texan4Ever; 03-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Lions fans are so used to losing that I think he will get the thumbs up as long as they see noticeable improvement every year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
With this in mind, most fans might expect the same from Schwartz but I'll give Schwartz 2-3 years because the Lions are worse then the teams above.
So......... you think GK has over stayed his welcome, or do you think we're in a different situation?

Or are you saying they'll have a winning season in year 4?
Old 03-03-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Dolphins and Falcons are important examples here. They were in disrepair and everyone looking at them thought it would be years before they'd contend again.

Its only with the benefit ofhindsight do we think "they had better players on those teams"

I think as long as he shows progress, he'll be fine. But if he takes 2 steps backwards, hes gone
Old 03-03-2009   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think the Dolphins and Falcons are important examples here. They were in disrepair and everyone looking at them thought it would be years before they'd contend again.

Its only with the benefit ofhindsight do we think "they had better players on those teams"

I think as long as he shows progress, he'll be fine. But if he takes 2 steps backwards, hes gone
Looking at these two situations and saying that is what I want and expect would be stupid because they are not the norm. Look at the Saints and where they were and where they went to where they are now. Quick rise, quick fall not sustaining the success.

I rather rise a bit slower and sustain it.
Old 03-03-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Millen is no longer the GM there so I'd expect a gradual improvement the next couple years.

IMO, they should take Curry with the first and maybe an Olineman with the 20th. I'd wait until next draft for a QB. Rebuild from the inside out.
Old 03-03-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Matt Millen is no longer the GM there so I'd expect a gradual improvement the next couple years.

IMO, they should take Curry with the first and maybe an Olineman with the 20th. I'd wait until next draft for a QB. Rebuild from the inside out.
I think its interesting how Miami and the Falcons went two different routes and wound up with great seasons.

Miami went FA QB, LT#1, then DE and QB in round 2. Although Henne never got a start.

Atlanta went QB #1, then OT late round 1 and made the playoffs with defense and a great ground game.

I dont think the lions are confined to taking a QB #1, or confined to taking a OT #1. They just need to make sure they get a good mix of players and build for the future.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #12
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Chief red hat will be like Del Rio. Seems like the team might do something then it just ends up middle of the pack struggling at best to make the playoffs. ESPN will make staffing excesses and the guy will last for an eternity with a middle level team that amounts to nothing in the end

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they should draft a wide reciever
Old 03-03-2009   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Lions are not in the strongest division, so anything is possible. I'd say 4-6 wins will be most likely next season.
Old 03-03-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

That always seems to work doesn't it.

The important thing is to add three or four peicies this year and 2010. No rule where you have to take whom where. Or when. If he hits...they challenge for the NFC Norse in 2012. Curry and Beaty would be a pretty fair start. Go the other way and Take Smith Monroe and come back for a deffensive piece at twenty. Move up with the Texans if there is someone he covets. Move the twenty for extra picks. Come back with just about anyone with the 33...or trade back. In one draft they could completely over hall their LB corpse, and/or their o-line and have two of the best young units in the NFL. Not saying they won't take their lumps. They will.

They could Take Freeman with the 33 if they are not happy with their QB Crew....or wait on the 2010 class and play the Tebow card. Or the Colt card...the last time I looked they aren't going to run out of franchise QBs next draft. I'm with you. Build your base first. no one is talkng up LeFlour....home State guy to light a fire under Drew Staton. They could probably get that guy in the fifth round.

In fact by my count there are three or four franchise QBs you can probably have for the vet minimum this off season. They already bought themselves one.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

People are throwing around the Fins and Falcons from last year but I'd like to see how each team does this year. I think the Falcons got really lucky that Ryan was more NFL ready than anyone suspected but he got a HUGE boost from his ground game. Miami had some good pieces in place but the thing that sealed the deal was Pennington pulling the trigger. Guy doesn't have a cannon arm but he's a smart QB who can distribute the ball intelligently.

Given the monumental disaster last season was I think Shwartz couldn't do worse. Long as he doesn't repeat I am pretty sure he'll be given leash enough for 2-3 years to make noticeable improvement. This team is even worse then the 2-14 squad we have to suffer through. I think the fans and FO understand what a mess things are in and long as they see smart moves from the FO and coach they won't riot.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #17
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Everyone keeps throwing the Falcons and Dolphins around as examples that teams who finish horribly are almost expected to vastly improve the next year, which is just wrong, you expect those teams to improve, but only because you don't want them to stay in the bottom of the barrel.

The Falcons had some things just go right for them this year.
#1. Their WR's just exploded and had a terrific season, caught numerous deep passes.
#2. Micheal Turner was one of the top RBs this season.
#3. The defense overall played better, especially John Abraham.

The Dolphins got
#1. Big Tuna
#2. A great game manager in Chad Pennington
#3. A healthy Ronnie Brown back
#4. A surprise Wildcat that helped them win at least 2 games by itself.

I don't expect the Lions to be contenders next year, I think they'll get about 3-4 wins. I'm also expecting the Dolphins to take a dip this season (sorry Kast) around 6-7 wins, but improve greatly next season.
I do however, believe that the Falcons will at least stand pat this season.

/mindless chatter
Old 03-03-2009   #18
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So......... you think GK has over stayed his welcome, or do you think we're in a different situation?

Or are you saying they'll have a winning season in year 4?

GK...Gary Kubiak. I give him some more time because at least we have gotten to 8-8 and plus we were knew to the league (for a while). Lions have been around for a while and they do have some talent which they can coach up and use to better the team. I see Schwartz 3-4 years considering the previous regime has made soooo many bad decsions.

Last edited by Texan4Ever; 03-03-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Looking at these two situations and saying that is what I want and expect would be stupid because they are not the norm. Look at the Saints and where they were and where they went to where they are now. Quick rise, quick fall not sustaining the success.

I rather rise a bit slower and sustain it.
My thoughts exactly Spec.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Miami and Atlanta fall a bit like the Saints. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read