Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Insight" into Strength coach

Ray Wright the new strength and conditioning coach promoted up from within speaks on HT.com

Does any of this mean anything to anybody? "Movement patterns"?

Dude is INTENSE! ....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/inde...44&play_clip=Y

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Insight" into Strenght coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Ray Wright the new strength and conditioning coach promoted up from within speaks on HT.com

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
He's not going to make money as a motivational speaker... that's for sure.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I stopped watching when I fell asleep.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked nervous...maybe he's a little camera shy.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I could care less about his public speaking abilities as long as he gets that weightroom rocking.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #6
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Insight" into Strength coach

I think Ray Wright is a different guy. people have a perception that HCs and Strength coaches scream and holer but there are guys in the league that don't do that. For example, former Colts HC Tony Dungy was not one of those "scream and holer " guys and his players still produced.

I like what he has to say that the workout is more important then how many reps or weights you can bench. I think he will focus on creating a program to suit every players individual needs. Only time will tell how is program is working out but regardless I wish this guy good luck...
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I stopped watching when I fell asleep.
Evidently, the same effect on his personal secretary while she was trying to transcribe his interview.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2009   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Evidently, the same effect on his personal secretary while she was trying to transcribe his interview.

Wow, not a bad secretary.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Wow, not a bad secretary.
I would hire her.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Movement patterns--I think what he means the patterns that they do to prepare them for what their skill is on the field. So, WR run patterns in a certain way, and quarterbacks practice the way they step back and throw. You work on the movements specific to your activity on the field. At least that's what it showed in the old S&C book that they had.
Old 03-02-2009   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I haven't watched this yet, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about working out with movements that mimic the real world movements the athletes make. You want to mimic the recruitment patterns that athletes make to train the muscles to recruit in certain ways.

This is why a lot of people don't like the bench press because it's training the muscles to move in a way that don't really mimic very many "real world" actions. An incline bench makes more sense because that's closer to the same angle that the arms make to the body while blocking or while getting off a block.

This is a really great idea. Unfortunately, it's also something that Riley said and then didn't actually follow through on.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #12
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 875 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I haven't watched this yet, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about working out with movements that mimic the real world movements the athletes make. You want to mimic the recruitment patterns that athletes make to train the muscles to recruit in certain ways.

This is why a lot of people don't like the bench press because it's training the muscles to move in a way that don't really mimic very many "real world" actions. An incline bench makes more sense because that's closer to the same angle that the arms make to the body while blocking or while getting off a block.

This is a really great idea. Unfortunately, it's also something that Riley said and then didn't actually follow through on.
Be careful, you just might call down the wrath of RJ.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would hire her.
I would... uhm.. hire her too
Old 03-03-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks gym smarts people.
Old 03-14-2009   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

tonight on HT.com there is an interview with biscuit brisel and hes talking about "the new system" they're using. he says they're getting out of their comfort zones so things appear to actually be different.

also, have a look at David Anderson next to Mario Williams!
Old 05-30-2009   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

here was rileys routine
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3025966/Ho...ioning-Program
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My most recent blog post talks about Texans All Access a little, but I have some brief mention of some gossip relating to the strength program:

Quote:
One reason I like going to All Access is that I get to see a ton of people I know, from fans to players and people who work for the team. (And now readers of the blog too--you know who you are).

I received very complimentary feedback from people with the Texans who read the blog regularly. They believe that I try to be fair, try to analyze things without gratuitous cheap shots, and am pretty reasonable. However.....

Quite a number people wanted to express to me the same thing (all said independently and without me bringing it up as a point of discussion):

Though they really think strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright does a nice job and they very much like him personally, they believe it was a mistake not to extend the contract of Dan Riley. They believe that Riley did a magnificent job trying to keep players healthy while making them stronger, and did a particularly good job in rehabilitating injured players. That a lot is misunderstood publicly about Riley's work and philosophies, and that by trying to talk about it on the blog, I may have oversimplified things to the point of inaccuracy.

So there ya go. I put that there as "for what it's worth gossip" because it is anonymous, and I have no ability to contact members of the Texans for official comment. (And I'm pretty certain that even if I had that ability, they would not want to talk about this anyway).
Old 05-30-2009   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
page 5 talked about supplements.. who was it that got busted inadvertently, not because of steriods but because a supplement contained a banned substance?

I know a bunch of friends I should email this to ... lot of them depend on supplements to lose weight instead of doing the old fashion, eat right and exersize
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #19
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

You can tell that he's not good in front of a camera, rocking back and forth and his lil hand gestures....LOL.

Plenty of great coaches werent good in front of a camera so don't take it to seriously.
Old 05-31-2009   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That is an older document that I understand has been updated. Have not seen the updated version.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read