Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-02-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lance Z's mock 2.0

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...3/post_78.html

Just saw this.
barrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Z's mock 2.0

No offense to LZ because this isn't the first place I've seen this said, but how can a guy be a lock for the second overall pick but not good enough to be taken first overall?

The last guy I can remember who was supposed to be the unanimous #1 player didn't even go #1.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
No offense to LZ because this isn't the first place I've seen this said, but how can a guy be a lock for the second overall pick but not good enough to be taken first overall?
ask Mario Williams!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
ask Mario Williams!
Exactly.
Old 03-02-2009   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The last guy I can remember who was supposed to be the unanimous #1 player didn't even go #1.
I cant speak for LZ but I think what what he means is that St. Louis is in all likelyhood going OT and after the combine Smith is a lock to be the first one taken. If so he is right IMO.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not understanding it either. I think pundits spend the entire season commenting on how great players did that were drafted later, and how inexact a science the draft is, then they lose their mind when it comes to making mocks. If a guy is good enough for the #2 overall pick, he's good enough for the #1 overall pick, if that's the argument.
Old 03-02-2009   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think sometimes a franchise gets into a situation where they are in desperate need of a "face". A clean start. In the NFL a QB represents that more often than not. Houston did it. Atlanta did it last year when many thought they had more pressing needs or guys better rated. It happens all the time.

I think Lance see's Detroit in that kind of situation. Therefore, the #1 guy falls to #2.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

By the way, I'm suprised we've made it this many years with out a long haired white guy at LB. It's all the rage don't you know? This may be the end of our streak. I hope Cushing is better than A.J. Hawk. His name certainly isn't.
Old 03-02-2009   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I cant speak for LZ but I think what what he means is that St. Louis is in all likelyhood going OT and after the combine Smith is a lock to be the first one taken. If so he is right IMO.
I agree with that part.

But it seems like he is saying that it is okay for the Rams to take Smith #2 but he is not worth the #1 for the Lions?...
Old 03-02-2009   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think sometimes a franchise gets into a situation where they are in desperate need of a "face". A clean start. In the NFL a QB represents that more often than not. Houston did it. Atlanta did it last year when many thought they had more pressing needs or guys better rated. It happens all the time.

I think Lance see's Detroit in that kind of situation. Therefore, the #1 guy falls to #2.
Yeah, I can think of plenty of reasons why it would shake out like LZ has it, but when LZ says, "Could the Lions use a LT like Jason Smith? Yes. Is he another Orlando Pace who was drafted with the first overall pick? No", then it makes me think he's going down a different line of reasoning altogether.
Old 03-02-2009   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

It'd be real interesting if Jenkins fell to us @15. Maybe D-Rob might be easier to negotiate with if there's someone on the other side that can help share the heat with. (and don't get me started on how badly we've needed a real FS for years)
Old 03-03-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

of course its a very good mock, he has both a trained eye & inside contacts. such as the Oakland pick of Darrius Heyword-Bey a very impressive receiver, has all the tools none of the question marks of Crabtree who he has going w/next pick to Jacksonville which I just can't buy with Andre Smith on the board. Texans Cushing yeah probably if he's still there? if not do they take Maybin or trade down he doesn't have my guy English even in the first rd.

Vontae Davis has some bust potential? even if there is a hint why would Detroit take that risk if they want to go CB take Butler who he's gift wraping for the Giants. Miami he has taking Brian Robiskie, you guys thought I was crazy for slotting him two picks later to the Colts? I really like the Unger pick to Baltimore.

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

If the draft pans out that way to #15 with Sanchez available, then I could see the Texans trading down with Tampa Bay, and possibly picking the best OLB available there, or trying to trade down again.
Old 03-03-2009   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he ever said Smith is not good enough for the #1 pick, he just said he is no Orlando Pace. Maybe insinuating that hes not worth the #1 pick, but that would be silly to say since hes giving him #2 money with St Louis. I guess it depends on how to read it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #15
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

In terms of trading back, look who is behind us...SanDiego. The Jets are probably lookin' at QB and Tampa Bay too.. If LZ's mock were to hold true then Tampa Bay is gonna call SanDiego(who isn't looking for a QB, for a trade...they'll also ask us, just to cover their ass. I think SanDiego will get the first oppotunity for a trade before we will and that would be Tampa Bay doing the calling. Also the Jets and Tampa Bay may jump alot sooner before SanFransico picks just to be sure. I'm just saying we are not guarateed a dance partner with LZ's mock, though we have a chance.
Old 03-03-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Any Mock that doesn't have one of the centers going in the first....I dismiss out of hand at this point in the process. And....as good a value as Clay Mathews is to the Colts....they have to have a WR for Manning's Machine. Robiskie fits. Practicing for hours....watching film for hours...takes some discipline. Hakeem Nixs works. Robiskie is locked and loaded to be their #2 first game in September.
Old 03-03-2009   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
In terms of trading back, look who is behind us...SanDiego. The Jets are probably lookin' at QB and Tampa Bay too.. If LZ's mock were to hold true then Tampa Bay is gonna call San Diego(who isn't looking for a QB, for a trade...they'll also ask us, just to cover their ass. I think San Diego will get the first opportunity for a trade before we will and that would be Tampa Bay doing the calling. Also the Jets and Tampa Bay may jump alot sooner before SanFransico picks just to be sure. I'm just saying we are not guaranteed a dance partner with LZ's mock, though we have a chance.
Pretty good....anytime I hear a RB has a toe....that's panic time. Bolts have to have a Rb in case Ladanian's "toe" is chronic. Lot of RBs in the pile. Only a couple with the Field vision that LT has. and that line is a bit slew footed to block for a banger.

All the tweeners on the board they can afford to wait on the LB until the second.

That's a lot of value to jump from the teens into the top ten. Better be sold on the guy.

On the other hand....Orakpo falling to 13....that's a pin prick to move up. Think LZ panicked when Orakpo fell down his mock ? especaily if Denver is looking for the 3-4 De and by his own Mock Jarron Gilbert is a first rounder for back up if they lose Tyson Jackson by the move down. Denver would have no down side and little risk to move back with the Texans.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-03-2009 at 11:46 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
In terms of trading back, look who is behind us...SanDiego. The Jets are probably lookin' at QB and Tampa Bay too.. If LZ's mock were to hold true then Tampa Bay is gonna call SanDiego(who isn't looking for a QB, for a trade...they'll also ask us, just to cover their ass. I think SanDiego will get the first oppotunity for a trade before we will and that would be Tampa Bay doing the calling. Also the Jets and Tampa Bay may jump alot sooner before SanFransico picks just to be sure. I'm just saying we are not guarateed a dance partner with LZ's mock, though we have a chance.
Ok, in your scenario were the Jets and Tampa Bay both want Sanchez, he falls down the draft board, and Tampa Bay trades with San Diego before the Texans make their pick, what is to stop the Jets from trading with the Texans and getting Sanchez? Nothing.
Old 03-04-2009   #19
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Ok, in your scenario were the Jets and Tampa Bay both want Sanchez, he falls down the draft board, and Tampa Bay trades with San Diego before the Texans make their pick, what is to stop the Jets from trading with the Texans and getting Sanchez? Nothing.
yes your right...the Jets know that Houston and SanDiego will not take a QB. so Sanchez would fall to them with out any trades for him. I don't think TampaBay will let this happen. Both clubs (Jets/Tampa Bay)know that they both want Sanchez, now enter the bidding...both clubs will already anticipate this and call Houston and SanDiego to let them know where they stand if Sanchez passes thru the clutches of San Fransico. I see that I mis spoke in my earlier quote..good catch "BattleRedToro"....
Old 03-04-2009   #20
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

can someone post the mock?

I am blog blocked here at work...

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read