Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2009   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Three steps in the right direction

from
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6288949.html

The best thing about the Texans’ offseason is it does not appear they have made any major mistakes.

OK, that’s not cause for celebration, but this is March. The first game is six months away. There are many moves left. But this was a good weekend.

After clearing some dead weight, the Texans made two additions in free agency — backup quarterback Dan Orlovsky (Sunday) and defensive end Antonio Smith (Saturday) — and they made the 21st trade in franchise history in moving QB Sage Rosenfels to Minnesota for a fourth-round pick (Friday).

For what the Texans would like to do defensively, Smith might have been the best available defensive end this side of Julius Peppers, at a lower salary and without the costly trade value. His signing opens the draft door for the Texans and should keep them from overvaluing the ends who are available when they are on the board.

“That was an excellent get for them,” an AFC scout said. “Their defense takes on a different look immediately.”

The other two moves go together. The Texans swapped one quarterback who earned notoriety for a curious on-the-field move this past season for another (and a fourth-round pick).

Dueling blunders
Orlovsky’s back-of-the-end-zone blunder was more embarrassing than Rosenfels’ error in judgment against the Colts. In his first NFL start for Detroit, a week before he had a solid game at Reliant Stadium, Orlovsky gave up a safety by inadvertently running out of the back of the end zone against Minnesota.

It could have happened to anybody. Well, anybody who is accustomed to the 25-yard deep Canadian Football League end zones. Orlovsky took seven steps along the white border before the referee’s whistle saved him from further humiliation.

“Ten seconds after, I realized how idiotic it was and how dumb it was, but I wasn’t going to change it,” Orlovsky said Sunday. “It’s one of those things that you wish your name was never attached to, but it was.”

Also attached to his name are losses in his seven starts during the Lions’ march to 0-16, the worst season in NFL history. But Orlovsky had a couple decent games.

Orlovsky brings four years of NFL experience to the Texans, having completed 150 passes with eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. You wonder just how bad a quarterback must be not to have earned the job with the Lions, but that’s not important. The Texans aren’t bringing Orlovsky here to earn a starting job.

When Rosenfels came to the Texans, he too had four seasons in the NFL, with 109 completions, six touchdowns and six interceptions.

Rosenfels had tried and failed with the Redskins and Dolphins. One wondered just how bad a quarterback must have been not to have earned a job with those quarterback-starved teams. We were surprised Rosenfels was a halfway decent QB.

Tough break
He thought he was better than David Carr, and he was right, but Rosenfels got hurt just when he was about to get his chance to start. When the Texans got Matt Schaub the next offseason, Rosenfels’ fate as a backup was sealed.

Gary Kubiak deserves credit for how solid a backup Rosenfels became. Give Kubiak time with Orlovsky, and the same is possible.

Smith is better than Anthony Weaver, Rick Smith has an extra draft pick in play, and Kubiak will make Orlovsky better than he is. That’s why this was a good weekend for the Texans.

post what you think thank you =]
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three steps in the right direction

I agree. I think we've had a very promising offseason so far.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

So far we've done OK this off season IMO. We've upgraded the DE on the other side of Mario, but by how much remains to be seen. As long as we don't put any unrealistic goals on Smith, we'll be OK. Him just being a bigger threat than Weaver demands the other guys offense account for him, which is an improvement and will help Mario. I'm good with that.

As to Orlovsky, well, I guess we'll see about that. For now, I'm in a wait and see but trusting mode with this guy. I trust they'll coach him up and he'll be a suitable replacement for Sage as long as we don't need to use him to early in the seaon. Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what they do with the pick we got for Sage.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #4
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I like all of the moves that have been made at this point and I think front office is doing a great job!!!!
Old 03-02-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
So far we've done OK this off season IMO. We've upgraded the DE on the other side of Mario, but by how much remains to be seen. As long as we don't put any unrealistic goals on Smith, we'll be OK. Him just being a bigger threat than Weaver demands the other guys offense account for him, which is an improvement and will help Mario. I'm good with that.

As to Orlovsky, well, I guess we'll see about that. For now, I'm in a wait and see but trusting mode with this guy. I trust they'll coach him up and he'll be a suitable replacement for Sage as long as we don't need to use him to early in the seaon. Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what they do with the pick we got for Sage.
I'm right there with ya. Of all the QBs out there, I latched on to Orlovsky. He didn't have much to work with in Detroit and a year with Kubes should be helpful. I think AJ offering him advice can only help. Garcia is the only QB that could keep us going imo if S. went down, but I just did not want him on team @ 39 with a possible QB controversy.

Benson I did not want last season; but after avg like 7 ypc with Bengals and keeping straight, I would be ok if not too expensive. I still want at least one more back in draft and maybe 2. A Jennings in 2nd or Peerman from Virginia in 5th and maybe Gartrell Johnson in 6th would save Slaton wear & tear and still get us to RZ with G. Johnson there to punch it in. Now if we could just land Raji as DT to stop the run....
Old 03-02-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

So Mario, Amobi and Smith have it locked if nothing else due to salary.

Cochran, Bulman, DelJuan Robinson, McClover, Zgonina, Okam, TJ

Somebody is getting cut. Methinks Z and Okam unless Okam brings it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
So Mario, Amobi and Smith have it locked if nothing else due to salary.

Cochran, Bulman, DelJuan Robinson, McClover, Zgonina, Okam, TJ

Somebody is getting cut. Methinks Z and Okam unless Okam brings it.
Zgonina's already a FA.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2009   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm never sold on these types of things. It may seem by the book and great but I remember the signings of Green and others and most saying they were perfect because it was a vet to play while they groomed a backup or that this person would open things up inside to allow Mario to rush, etc, etc. I'm not being negative...all three things are solid and look good in my book. I just temper enthusiasm for signings by any team because you never know how they will fit or how much the good or bad from past seasons will show in their game. But I luike the moves from the outside and what it opens up for the draft.
Old 03-02-2009   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the moves. We secured two positions that are supposedly thin in the draft this year. Both a run stopping DE that can still rush the passer and slide down on 3rd down, and a backup QB.

This free's us up to really go for players of higher value. Guys that can either fill specific needs in later rounds that would go for much le$$ as well as trading down for even more. At this point I'll be almost disappointed if we aren't able to trade down and ad a few more pics. I think we're right on track.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #10
Ckw

This article hits the nail on the head. The Sage trade was a decent trade. It rewarded Sage for being a good teammate and not throwing a fit about not getting the starting nod, and it gives us something for him when at the end of this season he would leave anyway and we would have nothing to show for it.

Antonio Smith was arguably the best available FA DE, and the way his contract is setup (at least how I understand it) he will be paid all of his guaranteed $12.5 mil within the first two seasons which gets us off the hook for his contract if he doesn't perform. IMO, he will do just fine across from Mario and will be the DE we need.

Orlovsky brings some experience, and I really believe he can be coached up. Too many posters forget just how inept Sage seemed we he couldn't even get the starting job for the Miami Dolphins. He was not a good QB before Kubiak started coaching him, and I strongly believe Kubiak will do the same for Orlovsky. Call me crazy, but I truly believe Kubiak is the best QB coach in the NFL. In Kubiak I trust.
Old 03-02-2009   #11
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm right there with ya. Of all the QBs out there, I latched on to Orlovsky. He didn't have much to work with in Detroit and a year with Kubes should be helpful. I think AJ offering him advice can only help. Garcia is the only QB that could keep us going imo if S. went down, but I just did not want him on team @ 39 with a possible QB controversy.

Benson I did not want last season; but after avg like 7 ypc with Bengals and keeping straight, I would be ok if not too expensive. I still want at least one more back in draft and maybe 2. A Jennings in 2nd or Peerman from Virginia in 5th and maybe Gartrell Johnson in 6th would save Slaton wear & tear and still get us to RZ with G. Johnson there to punch it in. Now if we could just land Raji as DT to stop the run....
You need to cut that yard-per-carry average for Benson with the Bungles in half. He only managed 3.5 yards.

But I agree we need at least one more RB. Usually, I don't think high-in-the-draft RBs are a good value for a developing team because their lifespans are so short, but I think we are now poised to make a run. I haven't kept up much with this years' RB draft class, but if the team determines that a guy like Wells or Moreno knocks our socks off and is the BPA at pick 15, then we should go for it . . .
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #12
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Man "Pubeiak" doesnt want to end up like Capers he better turn water into wine this year with the draft and free agency.
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #13
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan33 View Post
Man "Pubeiak" doesnt want to end up like Capers he better turn water into wine this year with the draft and free agency.
So that's all you have to offer to the thread. Wow...
Old 03-02-2009   #14
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yea i want change! I dont know what you have been watching for the last 4 years but it hasnt been pretty I'm sick of mediocrity.
Old 03-02-2009   #15
Ckw

Quote:
Yea i want change! I dont know what you have been watching for the last 4 years but it hasnt been pretty I'm sick of mediocrity.
Do you realize the turnaround we have had since that 2-14 season? I don't think you understand how terrible this team was and how many positions on this team needed to fill. Before Kubiak got here, we had a grand total of 3 quality NFL starters: AJ, Pitts, and Dunta. Every other position had to be filled and that is awful. Last season, I strongly believe we would have done a lot better if we had Dunta the entire year. He totally changed our defense when he came back.

Now look, I am with you if this team does not win at least 9 or 10 games and make the playoffs but until then, I think you need to research just how awful this team was and how much better we have become.
Old 03-02-2009   #16
TexansFan33
DW33

I watched most of the games this year and to me we had a good product on the field most of the time. We will see in this years draft if they are serious about winning because I understand we got very lucky with Mario which wasn't a Kubiak decision. Every year I tune into the draft hoping that the Texans will get that game changer and each year i'm let down. In order to build a team you go out and get your special guys that only come once every five drafts and you go get them. Then you start filling in the pieces later I think the Texans are doing that in reverse. Sure we got AJ and Mario but thats was from having 2 terrible years. I honestly think we should trade up in order to get a very high quality player. Kubiak has done OK with two 8-8 years but I think another 8-8 season and he is going to be signing his walking papers. If you think about it we have been trying to put together a defense for a while and it hasn't exactly worked out for us. Kubiak isnt a defensive minded guy, Tomlin just won a superbowl and his defense was the reason he put together a championship defense because he knew how to build one.

Last edited by TexansFan33; 03-02-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2009   #17
Ckw

Quote:
We will see in this years draft if they are serious about winning because I understand we got very lucky with Mario which wasn't a Kubiak decision.
Ok I agree that another 8-8 year will mean the end of the Kubiak era, as it should but what?!? Who's decision do you think it was to draft Mario? If you say Casserly, you are nuts. The guy was already a goner and was only kept around as a formality. That signing was all Kubiak and Bob McNair.
Old 03-02-2009   #18
TexansFan33
DW33

No, it was Casserly trying to have the last laugh and he failed miserably.
They have credited him multiple times on NFL network for drafting Mario.
Old 03-02-2009   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I watched most of the games this year and to me we had a good product on the field most of the time. We will see in this years draft if they are serious about winning because I understand we got very lucky with Mario which wasn't a Kubiak decision. Every year I tune into the draft hoping that the Texans will get that game changer and each year i'm let down. In order to build a team you go out and get your special guys that only come once every five drafts and you go get them. Then you start filling in the pieces later I think the Texans are doing that in reverse. Sure we got AJ and Mario but thats was from having 2 terrible years. I honestly think we should trade up in order to get a very high quality player. Kubiak has done OK with two 8-8 years but I think another 8-8 season and he is going to be signing his walking papers. If you think about it we have been trying to put together a defense for a while and it hasn't exactly worked out for us. Kubiak isnt a defensive minded guy, Tomlin just won a superbowl and his defense was the reason he put together a championship defense because he knew how to build one.
So that's what the Steelers did? How bout the Patriots? Maybe the Colts? Because we all know those teams have a history of trading up in the draft.

Also if each draft holds a once every five year talent, wouldn't that really be a once every year talent. Not to mention that the other 31 teams in the NFL would also be going after said once every 5 year, but really once every year player.

Tomlin should not receive any prasie for the Steelers D. That D is the creation of Dick LeBeau, all Tomlin did was know enough to leave it alone.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah that Steve Slaton guy ....not a game changer at all? How many runs over 20 yards did he break?

Xavier Adibi....psht I think he only had like 12 tackles his first NFL start against the Colts.

That Owen Daniels kid? Didn't he just make the pro bowl?

Mike Tomlin had a pretty damn good team in place when he took the reigns over and one of the most stable NFL teams. I'm not down playing Tomlin's accomplishments but I'm also saying he didn't have to start out with a 2-14 team that was terrible top to bottom with the exception of a few players.

All that said you're right this team does need to take that step forward to be a winning team, and make a playoff push. I think this off-season so far has been a good step in that direction. We got a fairly proven player across from Mario Williams. Made a few additions by subtraction. Traded a QB that I'm just not sure the staff could trust anymore, and gave him a shot to start elsewhere. Brought in a QB who at least has game time experience, yes he admittedly made a pretty stupid mistake, but I think the kid has got all the tools to work with.

You build teams from the ground up and while this organization hasn't hit on every FA or Draft pick I think it's been more successful then failures, and I'm seeing signs they are learning from them.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read