Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2009   #1
marv800
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 marv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Good lord! Now we REALLY NEED a free safety!

Holy moses!

Now that Orlovsky is our backup QB (meaning he'll be our starter for 1/2 the season), we will have to line up a freaking free safety in our OWN BACKFIELD when we are offense.

Lord, oh Lord, please let us draft a durable, talented free safety.

On a related note, does a free safety get creditied with a tackle when its on his own teammate?
marv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good lord! Now we REALLY NEED a free safety!

Como wha?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

'Nough with the safety jokes.

Tell me what's worse: Orlovsky giving up 2 points or Sage giving up 7!?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #4
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Rosenfels > Orlovsky. the 4th round pick is what will determine if the trade was a success or failure.
Old 03-01-2009   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
Rosenfels > Orlovsky. the 4th round pick is what will determine if the trade was a success or failure.
Care to elaborate?
Old 03-01-2009   #6
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There was a farmer had a dog and ......ummm I forget his name....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #7
marv800
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 marv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden covermarv800 could be on the next Madden cover

Hell, i'd rather hav Carr as our backup QB than either Rosencopter or Orlovsky. A big plus, is that we could have Carr return punts as well.
marv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2009   #8
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In all due respect, I say that if Olorvski has to come in and can't run the show. that in itself will deternine the success of the trade..4th round pick is bonus
Old 03-01-2009   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Yup.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv800 View Post
Hell, i'd rather hav Carr as our backup QB than either Rosencopter or Orlovsky. A big plus, is that we could have Carr return punts as well.
Please tell me you forgot the "sarcasm" smily in that post.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #11
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
In all due respect, I say that if Olorvski has to come in and can't run the show. that in itself will deternine the success of the trade..4th round pick is bonus
if this guy's going to be on our team we should probably learn to spell his name. i'm not demanding that it be immediate (we still have some weird spellings of players who are key players like Schab Shaub and Slayton) but come on we should at least try...
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #12
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Care to elaborate?
i believe the Texans offense is better served with Sage as backup QB than Orlovsky. But if the Texans can fill a need by adding a player of similar caliber to OD or Fred Bennett in the 4th round, it would offset the loss at backup QB.

Sage was good in the Texans offense. He was too erratic and made mistakes, but some of those mistakes are easily correctable. I guarantee you Sage learned from the "rosencopter" fiasco, and i doubt you will see him attempt anything similar for the rest of his career.

Kitna would have been better than Orlovsky, but i think Orlovsky is a better option than Ramsey.
Old 03-01-2009   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i believe the Texans offense is better served with Sage as backup QB than Orlovsky. But if the Texans can fill a need by adding a player of similar caliber to OD or Fred Bennett in the 4th round, it would offset the loss at backup QB.

Sage was good in the Texans offense. He was too erratic and made mistakes, but some of those mistakes are easily correctable. I guarantee you Sage learned from the "rosencopter" fiasco, and i doubt you will see him attempt anything similar for the rest of his career.

Kitna would have been better than Orlovsky, but i think Orlovsky is a better option than Ramsey.
That is the problem, sage has been in this offense for three years and he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. sure he scored points for the Texans, but the bad part is he helped the other team as well. Not to mention, that while Sage was a professional about not starting he was not happy about it. I do not think he was going to continue to be as silent as he was.

Sage is what he is and at this stage in his career he is not going to change or correct the weaknesses.
Old 03-01-2009   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Tell me what's worse: Orlovsky giving up 2 points or Sage giving up 7!?
A think Sage dropping 21 in 4 minutes trumps all.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #15
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
if this guy's going to be on our team we should probably learn to spell his name. i'm not demanding that it be immediate (we still have some weird spellings of players who are key players like Schab Shaub and Slayton) but come on we should at least try...
let muy buzz wear off and I'll try
Old 03-01-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sage is 31. I'm pretty sure we were looking at the player that he is. By the way, the Baltimore game as well as the Minnesota game are both examples of his play after the Rosencopter incident. I'm appreciative of Sage and thought he was a pretty good backup. That being said, Orlovsky has better crudentials and physical abilities than Sage when he arrived here. Also, I'd rather have a backup QB that takes care of the ball and makes fewer plays if we're going to have a decent defense. If our defense improves enough to win us some games it would've been intolerably frustrating to have Sage come in and chuck it around.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #17
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Sage is 31. I'm pretty sure we were looking at the player that he is. By the way, the Baltimore game as well as the Minnesota game are both examples of his play after the Rosencopter incident. I'm appreciative of Sage and thought he was a pretty good backup. That being said, Orlovsky has better crudentials and physical abilities than Sage when he arrived here. Also, I'd rather have a backup QB that takes care of the ball and makes fewer plays if we're going to have a decent defense. If our defense improves enough to win us some games it would've been intolerably frustrating to have Sage come in and chuck it around.
Last season was by far Sage's worst as a Texan. he played well 2 out of 3 seasons as a Texan and proved that he can run the offense. of course the most recent performance is fresh in everyone's mind, but that is not the definitive comment on his abilities. its fair criticism about sage being too cavalier with the ball but i think he is still better than orlovsky. last year Sage had 67% comp, compare that with Orlovsky 55% comp rate. you want to knock Sage for having a bad game against the baltimore go ahead but Schaub would be lucky to even make it through all 4 quarters against that defense.
Old 03-01-2009   #18
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last season was by far Sage's worst as a Texan. he played well 2 out of 3 seasons as a Texan and proved that he can run the offense. of course the most recent performance is fresh in everyone's mind, but that is not the definitive comment on his abilities. its fair criticism about sage being too cavalier with the ball but i think he is still better than orlovsky. last year Sage had 67% comp, compare that with Orlovsky 55% comp rate. you want to knock Sage for having a bad game against the baltimore go ahead but Schaub would be lucky to even make it through all 4 quarters against that defense.
Sage had arguably the best wideout in the game, Kevin Walters, Owen Daniels, and a dangerous ground threat in Slaton. Orlovsky had...oh, that's right, CJ. With so many weapons around, of course Sage's completion % will be higher, but IMO Orlovsky has much higher upside than Sage. Sage is a vet who is who he is, and he's not going to change much. Orlovsky is young and can be tutored by Kubiak.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Listen. The only thing that's important was that there was no way that Sage was taking the starting job from Matt. No way. He is simply not a better QB than Matt is. Dealing Sage now was both a favor to Sage and the only way we were going to get anything back for him.

He wants to be a starter. Prior to coming here and prior to the past two seasons, no one considered him starting material. He would only have been signed to be a backup.

There was no way we could have extended his contract because he didn't want to be a backup. Since he was going to be leaving next year, our only options were to deal him now or franchise him next year and try to deal him and there was no way in hell he was going to get franchised.

We didn't pick Orlovsky to replace Sage, we picked Orlovsky to fill the vacancy created by Sage's departure.

Now, when you look at the two QB's, don't compare where they are now. Compare Orlovsky to Sage when he arrived here. Orlovsky had a 55% completion rate with one of the worst teams in history and Sage had a 49.5% completion rate with a team that was not very good (but not the worst ever.) Orlovsky is coming in with more talent and more upside than Sage. He could turn out better than Sage turned out.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #20
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Sage had arguably the best wideout in the game, Kevin Walters, Owen Daniels, and a dangerous ground threat in Slaton. Orlovsky had...oh, that's right, CJ. With so many weapons around, of course Sage's completion % will be higher, but IMO Orlovsky has much higher upside than Sage. Sage is a vet who is who he is, and he's not going to change much. Orlovsky is young and can be tutored by Kubiak.
Johnson, Williams, Furrey, McDonald is not a bad WR corps at all. He had weapons he just didnt know how to use them properly, as evidenced by Calvin Johnson only having 2 catches against the Texans weak secondary. Orlovsky is young and his career can still go a lot of different ways. he could develop to be better than Rosenfels, but at this point in his career is he better? i dont think so. It will be interesting to see how Sage does in Minnesota, all he needs to do is turn the ball over less and he will be fine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read