Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I want Running Backs

Do you remember the Texans running game pre Slaton. Do we want to see this again? All I hear from Kubiak is we need the running game. One play and we are there or worse. I would have loved to had Fred Taylor as a veteran . The Pats signed him for 2 years 5 million. What the hell did we sign Green for again, I think I am going to be sick.

I think the Texans are not prioritizing enough on running back. One play and we are history. Slaton I think will not last long taking prolonged pounding. I know he was spectacular last year, but I think we were lucky.
We need another quality prospect and a proven veteran on the cheap. I am not saying break the bank on the veteran one by any means.

C'mon and make me feel good about what the Texans are going to do in reference to running back situation. Why weren't we trying to get Taylor.

Watch the Pats. They make good personel decisions. They don't overpay for current players due up for new contracts. (Dunta in our case) I for one do not want to sign DRob long term until he proves himself this season. If he gets great offer, take draft choices and run. They don't mind trading fan favorites (Vrabel) and they know how trade players while their stock is high (Cassels).

Just my opinion. Thanks
Old 03-01-2009   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I want Running Backs

Here is a link to the NFL.com free agency web page sorted for RB's.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#player...osition:pos-rb

I counted 33 free agent running backs. Obviously some will re-sign with their original teams, some will re-sign with other teams, and some will not re-sign at all. But hopefully the Texans can get a good quality, probably aging, veteran backup running back from this list.
Old 03-01-2009   #3
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

gafftop, im not too sure what you're stressing over. i'm 100% sure this is going to be addressed in the draft... and about 95% sure we'll get another vet RB in free agency.

-Ben Franklin
Old 03-01-2009   #4
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna stick w/ my belief and say the Texans may draft Two RBs in this draft...they know what they are looking for...I could see a late rounder and an UFA coming out of this years draft for us..They still might bring in a veteran...

Last edited by rarazz00; 03-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2009   #5
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless you the Texans had a FA running back they just had to have its better to wait a few days into free agency. Its like A. Shefter and M. Lombardi said on NFLN All Access, by Sunday prices of the FA come down some and by Monday and thereafter teams can actually find value in the free agency market. Free Agency has become a franchise killer in the NFL if bad decisions are made in a rush to pick up bicg names to appease the fan base.

Support our troops
Old 03-01-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Do you remember the Texans running game pre Slaton. Do we want to see this again? All I hear from Kubiak is we need the running game. One play and we are there or worse. I would have loved to had Fred Taylor as a veteran . The Pats signed him for 2 years 5 million. What the hell did we sign Green for again, I think I am going to be sick.

I think the Texans are not prioritizing enough on running back. One play and we are history. Slaton I think will not last long taking prolonged pounding. I know he was spectacular last year, but I think we were lucky.
We need another quality prospect and a proven veteran on the cheap. I am not saying break the bank on the veteran one by any means.

C'mon and make me feel good about what the Texans are going to do in reference to running back situation. Why weren't we trying to get Taylor.

Watch the Pats. They make good personel decisions. They don't overpay for current players due up for new contracts. (Dunta in our case) I for one do not want to sign DRob long term until he proves himself this season. If he gets great offer, take draft choices and run. They don't mind trading fan favorites (Vrabel) and they know how trade players while their stock is high (Cassels).

Just my opinion. Thanks

We signed Chris Brown for about 1/2 that. So far, Fred Taylor has done as much for the Pats as CBrown has done for us. Yes, the AGreen signing didn't work out. That RB market was different in '07 than this season... not to mention the fact that Green was 29 and FTaylor is 33.
Old 03-01-2009   #7
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of starting a new thread on this ..What are we to do about Chris Taylor?

OOPs he's already gone...disreguard

Last edited by rarazz00; 03-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2009   #8
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
Instead of starting a new thread on this ..What are we to do about Chris Taylor?
According to the Houston Texans official online roster:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

Chris Taylor is not on the team.

He is not on the free agent list at NFL.com either.
Old 03-01-2009   #9
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

yea thanks..I started a little early on the sauce(insert Pee Wee Herman Song Here)
Old 03-01-2009   #10
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

In fact, based on the Texan's official online roster, the Texans currently have only two running backs on the team:

21___Moats, Ryan____RB___5-8___210___Louisiana Tech
20___Slaton, Steve___RB___5-9___201___West Virginia

I think the Texans will have at least six running backs going into camp.
Old 03-01-2009   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see the Texans

Sign Micheal Pittman
Draft A.Brown or G. Johnson
Sign as UDFA Kevin Grady & Bernard Scott
Old 03-01-2009   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.........making out like a bandit.
Old 03-01-2009   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.
This is a deal I could see us being interested in. I wonder what sort of price tag it would carry for salary and what.......a pick? I suppose we could trade them JJ and like a 5th or 6th. They need a WR and a pick that low wouldn't be to much of a ding with the extra 4 th we have.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 03-01-2009   #14
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

We have to keep in mind that any FA RB we sign will be taking a back seat to Slaton..The $jack$ plus carries ratio has to match
Old 03-01-2009   #15
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to see what other positions the Texans fill in free agency before we panic guys. Look Edgerrin James is 30 years old and hasn't been released yet he could possibly hit the open market and would be a great fit with Steve Slaton for 2 years. The draft has a lot of value in the 3rd round range and with two 4th round picks i'm sure that we can find a good back to pair with slaton either way.
Old 03-01-2009   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
This is a deal I could see us being interested in. I wonder what sort of price tag it would carry for salary and what.......a pick? I suppose we could trade them JJ and like a 5th or 6th. They need a WR and a pick that low wouldn't be to much of a ding with the extra 4 th we have.
Bush is under contract through the next two seasons for $460,000 and $550,000 respectively. In otherwords, dirt cheap!
Old 03-01-2009   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

M. Bush is rumored to be traded to Tampa Bay.
Old 03-01-2009   #18
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

We will get half back help by the end of the draft, don't worry about that. We'll probably sign up someone cheap, 2/3 year vet who hasn't done much, then spend a 2-4th round pick on on RB in the draft (with Antonio being signed up, we may go as high as a 2nd rounder now, although unlikely, as we've got a need taken care of).

Then the other one or two spots will be taken up by undrafted free agents, and possibly see someone like Chris Brown for the training camp battle for depth positioning.

Overall, don't worry, we'll sort out the RB situation, without breaking the bank, and without going to the the big money guys like Ward. We'll go down the normal Texans/Smithiak route (excluding Ahman of course) of getting young and generally unproven RB's with a lot of upside, for cheap, and see how they work out.
Old 03-01-2009   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
M. Bush is rumored to be traded to Tampa Bay.
This is simply a rumor without sources that were thrown out by a TB internet rag. There is no support to even early stage inquiry.
Old 03-01-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Bush is said to be somewhat less than happy with his treatment by the Raiders. The Raiders have wanted him to split his time with the FB position. He's made it known that this is not acceptable. He has taken
2nd fiddle to McFadden......a role he has not taken to very well. There has been significant riff between him and new coaching staff. He may just "force" a trade.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read