Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2009   #1
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 68297 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vontae Davis has Stubby arms?

I was going over the combine measurements, and noticed that VD is 5113 with 30(2060) inch arms. Alphonso Smith is 5090 with 31.5(2074) inch arms.

For a DB arm length is just as important as height, because it is part of your reach. Because of Davis' arm length he only has the reach of a 5097 corner. A guy his height should have 32 + inch arms to match the rest of his body.

Does anyone else think he may slip because of this?

Everyone knocks Smith for his size, but in reality he has almost the same reach as Davis. Unless you're running a press scheme that requires bigger more physical corners, you're not losing much, if anything, with Smith. On the other hand you gain his playmaking ability, ball skills, run support, and instincts, all of which are uninspiring with Davis.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vontae Davis has Stubby arms?

Ive never been a big numbers guy. So I dont knock Vontae or Smith.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #3
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I was going over the combine measurements, and noticed that VD is 5113 with 30(2060) inch arms. Alphonso Smith is 5090 with 31.5(2074) inch arms.

For a DB arm length is just as important as height, because it is part of your reach. Because of Davis' arm length he only has the reach of a 5097 corner. A guy his height should have 32 + inch arms to match the rest of his body.

Does anyone else think he may slip because of this?

Everyone knocks Smith for his size, but in reality he has almost the same reach as Davis. Unless you're running a press scheme that requires bigger more physical corners, you're not losing much, if anything, with Smith. On the other hand you gain his playmaking ability, ball skills, run support, and instincts, all of which are uninspiring with Davis.
Yo GC...what is their vertical measured at?
Old 02-27-2009   #4
Polo

If a guys has no arms but is good enough to break up or defend against 99% of the passes thrown his way, I want him on my team.

Translation: If he's good enough to play ball, he's good enough to play ball. His arm length, 40 time, bench reps ect. should all be trumped by his ability to play ball.

Don't think it matters much
Old 02-27-2009   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 68297 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
Yo GC...what is their vertical measured at?
All the numbers haven't been made public yet. Neither of them was in the top performers group though. 38"+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
If a guys has no arms but is good enough to break up or defend against 99% of the passes thrown his way, I want him on my team.

Translation: If he's good enough to play ball, he's good enough to play ball. His arm length, 40 time, bench reps ect. should all be trumped by his ability to play ball.

Don't think it matters much
The problem is that Davis doesn't have that history of being a great football player. He's highly thought of because of his supposed 6' height, and other physical attributes. They're pretty much the only reason he's regarded as a first round pick.

When he turns up a half inch shorter than expected, with arms 2 inches shorter than you would expect from a guy his size, he's suddenly not that prototypical athlete.

My question is: With him losing the prototype label does Davis slip? Is a 5'10 equivalent corner with decent speed, limited experience, and lack of elite production still a top 15 pick?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great question. My thoughts on Vontae Davis have been that he's one of those "potential or upside" picks. He's thought to be an elite athlete and have tons of upside. He doesn't have the history and game tape of being a great corner (that I know of) but a guy someone could try and mold into something special. I would think if he measured in shorter than expected and his arms are shorter than expected and possibly his vertical... then it WOULD hurt his draft stock.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #7
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
All the numbers haven't been made public yet. Neither of them was in the top performers group though. 38"+

The problem is that Davis doesn't have that history of being a great football player. He's highly thought of because of his supposed 6' height, and other physical attributes. They're pretty much the only reason he's regarded as a first round pick.

When he turns up a half inch shorter than expected, with arms 2 inches shorter than you would expect from a guy his size, he's suddenly not that prototypical athlete.

My question is: With him losing the prototype label does Davis slip? Is a 5'10 equivalent corner with decent speed, limited experience, and lack of elite production still a top 15 pick?
I'm not really a draft guy, and I don't remember seeing him play so I don't really have an opinion on him personally, but I would think that if someone was getting boosted up the board because of their projected measurables then it only makes sense that they'd slip once they didn't measure as projected?
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2009   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Vontae Davis looks like a SS. I'm not impressed with him as a cover corner, maybe a nickle but if you spend a 1st rd. pick on the young man you probably need to move him to strong safety. not sure about his read skills, still have not had a chance to review the combine yet.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer DJ Moore.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #10
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 7 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Vontae had a good combine, I just don't think he's the right player for us we have to make sure that in this years draft that we get a safe pick.
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read