Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2009   #1
was385
Rookie

Default Malcolm Jenkins

I was wondering what some of your opinions were on Jenkins from Ohio State. He was essentially guaranteed to go before 15 until his less than stellar 40-time at the combine. While he's still likely to go before us, it looks like there is at least a chance he falls. My question is would you be opposed or in favor of taking him as a safety if he's there at 15 (however small a chance that is)?
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Malcolm Jenkins

I would take him @ 15 as long as he is roughly the highest player available on my board.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he'll fall out of the top 10. Once he has his pro day on the track at Ohio St. he'll erase that slow time and post a good one and once he does he'll go right back up those draft charts. If he were to fall to us, I'd pick him and then go buy a lottery ticket the same day cause luck was on our side.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

He won't be there. The surface at the new stadium in Indy is roughly .06 slower than the old dome surface. His 4.53 would have been a 4.47 last year, and nobody would have knocked him for that. In an interview he said he was running 4.44 in training, and if he get's close to that at his pro day, then he'll be back in the top 5 conversation.

I don't like the idea of moving him to safety either. The guy is a corner, and has a corner's mentality about football. Drafting a guy high in the first, and then trying to make him something he isn't is doomed to failure. If drafted as a corner, he just doesn't fit the Texans system, and would end up falling short of his potential.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he tackles well enough to be our last line of defense. I'd love him as a CB though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
He won't be there. The surface at the new stadium in Indy is roughly .06 slower than the old dome surface. His 4.53 would have been a 4.47 last year, and nobody would have knocked him for that. In an interview he said he was running 4.44 in training, and if he get's close to that at his pro day, then he'll be back in the top 5 conversation.

I don't like the idea of moving him to safety either. The guy is a corner, and has a corner's mentality about football. Drafting a guy high in the first, and then trying to make him something he isn't is doomed to failure. If drafted as a corner, he just doesn't fit the Texans system, and would end up falling short of his potential.
This
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #7
was385
Rookie

All these responses are pretty much why I said IF he's there. I know the chances are he won't be (I went over that in the original post), but my question is IF he's there, would you take him
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2009   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
All these responses are pretty much why I said IF he's there. I know the chances are he won't be (I went over that in the original post), but my question is IF he's there, would you take him
I would.

Top CB in the draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #9
Polo

I'd take him unless someone offered me something juicy in a trade up.
Old 02-27-2009   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would.

Top CB in the draft.
In a heart beat. Be it Free Safty or Corner. Play maker.
Old 02-27-2009   #11
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Smith and "Kub's" pull the trigger..I'm all for it...they might not have a next year w/ the Texans, so they'll know IF they pick him where he'll START(CB/S)...
Old 02-27-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Guy is considered best CB available prior to combine based on his college performance. He runs a slow 40 and drops, uh something wrong here. I agree with others that he will run faster but he did good in college if the "slow" 40 turns out correct. Unless Raji or Orakpo there at #15, Jenkins is my guy to answer your question but only as a corner.

1. CB Jenkins 2. DE Robert Ayers 3. FS Rashad Johnson
Old 02-27-2009   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Guy is considered best CB available prior to combine based on his college performance. He runs a slow 40 and drops, uh something wrong here. I agree with others that he will run faster but he did good in college if the "slow" 40 turns out correct. Unless Raji or Orakpo there at #15, Jenkins is my guy to answer your question but only as a corner.

I'd be really happy if the 1st three rounds turned out that way!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd be really happy if the 1st three rounds turned out that way!
To be sure and we still have 2 4ths and a 5th!
Everyone I have a great weekend. Outta here! Steve
Old 02-28-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
This
So you guys are posting you're going to load up the back four with all stars and out cover Manning ? Good Luck with that one.
Old 02-28-2009   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to lean towards the draft for the lines in the first round argument.

I think there is no such thing as a great QB, just look at DeAngelo Hall, great CB, gets cut CB, get huge contract CB.... still the same guy. (Except far richer)

There is just too much influence from how they fit in the system and who they are playing with.
Old 02-28-2009   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I have real questions now if the bridges have been burned with Dunta? if this is the case the Texans almost have to address CB early. problem is, its a weak class, there are no Leodis McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. much better value later in 2nd/3rd like Darius Butler, Connecticut 5-10 183 ran 4.4 with 43" vertical. a pure cover corner similar to Dunta Robinson.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have real questions now if the bridges have been burned with Dunta? if this is the case the Texans almost have to address CB early. problem is, its a weak class, there are no Leodis McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. much better value later in 2nd/3rd like Darius Butler, Connecticut 5-10 183 ran 4.4 with 43" vertical. a pure cover corner similar to Dunta Robinson.
I like Butler as well.

What would suggest Dunta is a pure cover corner? Or better yet, please provide your definition of a pure cover corner and cite some examples.
Old 02-28-2009   #19
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

That would be awesome. Assuming Jenkins is gone, should we reach for someone like CB Alphonso?
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
That would be awesome. Assuming Jenkins is gone, should we reach for someone like CB Alphonso?
think you might have hit on something like a combination of first trading down from #15 (taking Alphonso) then using the added package to move back up earlier to select Ayers.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read