Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-25-2009   #1
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pickin' RB's

So hear I sit thinking what are the Texans gonna do about the RB situation...I looked on our roster and we have Slaton, Moats and Chris Brown on IR...thats all I've seen. There are some talented FA-RB's out there, but we ain't opening up the coffers for no RB, which would be stupid for a RB that will only be hired just to spell Slaton, not run many carries. I'm not sure about Moats, but so far he's in...Now with this all being said would anyone have a problem with drafting TWO RB's in this draft and who and what rounds would you target..I told "Beer Lover" in an earlier blog that I thought the Texans would target Arian Foster-Tenn. Now I'm not so sure....anyway My new targets:

Andre Brown N.C.State-4th

Kory Sheets-Purdue-option 4th

Ian Johnson-Boise State-option 4th

Marion Lucky-Nebraska-7th

Gatrell Johnson-Colorodo St. option 7th

well bloggers, what ya think?
Old 02-25-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pickin' RB's

Gatrell Johnson is a guy I would like the Texans to grab but he won't bw available in the 7th round I can assure you.

DOn't want any part of Ian Johnson. He is to small, doesn't have blazing speed, and really wasn't even that spectacular in the inferior conference that Boise State was in.

Like you said we need a guy to compliment Slaton and Gatrelll seems to be able to do that with his skill set.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #3
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Gatrell Johnson is a guy I would like the Texans to grab but he won't bw available in the 7th round I can assure you.

DOn't want any part of Ian Johnson. He is to small, doesn't have blazing speed, and really wasn't even that spectacular in the inferior conference that Boise State was in.

Like you said we need a guy to compliment Slaton and Gatrelll seems to be able to do that with his skill set.
I agree with you on Gatrell Johnson, though he didn't have a great combine. If you reference blazing speed he didn't register it in "Indi" on Sat. He was pretty scary looking though..monster legs. I bet he'd make for one hell of a FB.

Now reguarding Ian Johnson..I personally haven't seen any footage, but I'll give you these stats:

Ian Johnson, Boise State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
Benchx225: 26. Vertical: . Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
2/23/09: Ian Johnson shocked Indianapolis when he ran an unofficial 4.3 40. The official time has him at 4.46, which is still pretty decent compared to the plethora of Sunday's slow backs. 2/21/09: Ian Johnson's 212 pounds? What happened? Did he eat someone by accident?
Old 02-25-2009   #4
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 8 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
I agree with you on Gatrell Johnson, though he didn't have a great combine. If you reference blazing speed he didn't register it in "Indi" on Sat. He was pretty scary looking though..monster legs. I bet he'd make for one hell of a FB.

Now reguarding Ian Johnson..I personally haven't seen any footage, but I'll give you these stats:

Ian Johnson, Boise State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
Benchx225: 26. Vertical: . Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
2/23/09: Ian Johnson shocked Indianapolis when he ran an unofficial 4.3 40. The official time has him at 4.46, which is still pretty decent compared to the plethora of Sunday's slow backs. 2/21/09: Ian Johnson's 212 pounds? What happened? Did he eat someone by accident?

Also Donald Brown of UCONN blew up the combine.... just somethin to think about
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care that we normally don't take high round running backs. Give me Shonn Greene in the 2nd and I will drool with anticipation.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Steve Slaton Height 5-9 Weight 203 lbs.

Gartrell Johnson, RB

Height:
5'10"
Weight:

Ian Johnson, RB
Height:
5'11"
Weight:

I am confused, if you think Ian Johnson is to small why would you want Gartrell?

Not to mention Ian Johnson performed well at all the drills except Broad Jump and Vertical Jump.
Old 02-25-2009   #7
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I don't care that we normally don't take high round running backs. Give me Shonn Greene in the 2nd and I will drool with anticipation.
yes, taking a RB in the earlier rounds would be something to consider...though I feel the higher draft pic should go towards our dismal defense..
Old 02-25-2009   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yes, taking a RB in the earlier rounds would be something to consider...though I feel the higher draft pic should go towards our dismal defense..
for this year, if an offensive player is taken in rounds one or two, it better be a lineman. We can get decent RBs to help out Slayton in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #9
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
for this year, if an offensive player is taken in rounds one or two, it better be a lineman. We can get decent RBs to help out Slayton in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
I'm w/ ya on that...I personally would like to see us pickin' TWO RB's say 4th round and 6th or 7th...
Old 02-25-2009   #10
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Im more for Johnson just b/c he comes from the that ZBS/ one cut system. Just like Slaton did at WV.
Old 02-25-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Steve Slaton Height 5-9 Weight 203 lbs.

Gartrell Johnson, RB

Height:
5'10"
Weight:

Ian Johnson, RB
Height:
5'11"
Weight:

I am confused, if you think Ian Johnson is to small why would you want Gartrell?

Not to mention Ian Johnson performed well at all the drills except Broad Jump and Vertical Jump.
Ian Johnson won't do anything in the NFL. Quote me on that if you want later on if I'm wrong, but he isn't that strong of a runner. And he would be similar to Slaton and we don't need a guy who is just like Slaton. We need a bruiser who can move the chains and get short yardage in the red zone. Gatrell is a pounder that could be available when we need to get a bruiser.

Shonn Greene would be my guy, but I don't want to pick a RB in the 2nd round.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So hear I sit thinking what are the Texans gonna do about the RB situation...I looked on our roster and we have Slaton, Moats and Chris Brown on IR...thats all I've seen. There are some talented FA-RB's out there, but we ain't opening up the coffers for no RB, which would be stupid for a RB that will only be hired just to spell Slaton, not run many carries. I'm not sure about Moats, but so far he's in...Now with this all being said would anyone have a problem with drafting TWO RB's in this draft and who and what rounds would you target..I told "Beer Lover" in an earlier blog that I thought the Texans would target Arian Foster-Tenn. Now I'm not so sure....anyway My new targets:

Andre Brown N.C.State-4th

Kory Sheets-Purdue-option 4th

Ian Johnson-Boise State-option 4th

Marion Lucky-Nebraska-7th

Gatrell Johnson-Colorodo St. option 7th

well bloggers, what ya think?

I'd love to have Andre Brown but I think he performed great in the Senior Bowl and had a great combine so he'll probably move up to the early 3rd round. I wouldn't mind having Gartrell Johnson but he reminds me of Ron Dayne, bruiser runner but not very quick to hit the hole. He doesn't strike me as being quick enough for this one cut and go system.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Cedric Pearman? WHere do you think he'll get picked up?
Old 02-25-2009   #14
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Well, according to Walter Football:

Cedric Peerman, Virginia
Height: 5-10. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Combine 40 Time: 4.45.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 40. Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 5.
2/23/09: Opened eyes with a very sharp 2009 NFL Combine, running a 4.45 and garnering a 40-inch vertical. Unfortunately, he measured with the smallest hands at the 2009 NFL Combine (8 inches).

1/3/09: Cedric Peerman finished with 774 rushing yards and seven touchdowns as a senior, but also caught 44 balls.

10/18/08: After gaining just 96 yards the first four weeks of the season, Cedric Peerman tallied 110- and 173-yard outputs against Maryland and East Carolina in consecutive Saturdays.

5/21/08: Cedric Peerman suffered a season-ending ankle injury on Oct. 6. Before then, he was having a solid year, rushing for 585 yards and five touchdowns on a 5.2 clip. tball...
Old 02-25-2009   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
WalterFootball has him going in the 5th but I just can't help but think with these stats he'll go higher. The only drawback is his hand size (8 inches), but if his past history shows he doesn't fumble, I don't think it will be an issue.

Cedric Peerman, Virginia
Height: 5-10. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Combine 40 Time: 4.45.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 40. Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 5.
2/23/09: Opened eyes with a very sharp 2009 NFL Combine, running a 4.45 and garnering a 40-inch vertical. Unfortunately, he measured with the smallest hands at the 2009 NFL Combine (8 inches).

1/3/09: Cedric Peerman finished with 774 rushing yards and seven touchdowns as a senior, but also caught 44 balls.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and how many fumbles ? Anyone remember Echimandu ? I'm not against him in the fourth....just saying. We got a thread working on the other board about J.J. these guys do not like fumblers. I kept hearing that about Peerman when they talked about him.

As far as Ian Johson is concerned....seven to ten touches....that's what we're looking for. I thought he was pretty beat up his sophmore and junior years....obviously with the numbers he posted, he appears to be healthy.

Donald Brown should go off the board in the second.
Old 02-26-2009   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ian Johnson won't do anything in the NFL. Quote me on that if you want later on if I'm wrong, but he isn't that strong of a runner.
I cant see him making it in the NFL either.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #18
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

No love for Rashad Jennings in here? He is EXACTLY the perfect complement to Steve Slaton in my opinion. 6'1" 231lbs. and he's a tough runner who likes to pound the ball in and fight for those additional yards. He would be a great goal-line back, and he can also provide as a 1-2 punch when Slaton needs to rest. Another thing is that I think he would really fit well with the "one cut and go" running style the Texans are going for.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...e-tab-overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP5XBCu_ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggiM7fnn4E (Wowzers!)
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
and how many fumbles ? Anyone remember Echimandu ? I'm not against him in the fourth....just saying. We got a thread working on the other board about J.J. these guys do not like fumblers. I kept hearing that about Peerman when they talked about him.

As far as Ian Johson is concerned....seven to ten touches....that's what we're looking for. I thought he was pretty beat up his sophmore and junior years....obviously with the numbers he posted, he appears to be healthy.

Donald Brown should go off the board in the second.
No fumbles throughout his 4 year career at Virginia, although he did lose one at the senior bowl
Old 02-26-2009   #20
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
No love for Rashad Jennings in here? He is EXACTLY the perfect complement to Steve Slaton in my opinion. 6'1" 231lbs. and he's a tough runner who likes to pound the ball in and fight for those additional yards. He would be a great goal-line back, and he can also provide as a 1-2 punch when Slaton needs to rest. Another thing is that I think he would really fit well with the "one cut and go" running style the Texans are going for.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...e-tab-overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP5XBCu_ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggiM7fnn4E (Wowzers!)
Yes I can see Rashad Jennings as a great backup for "Stevie", though I'm looking at the latter rounds for his backup..Jennings will probably go way early and come to think of it. I'm sure Andre Brown will too..(see original Post)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read