Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2009   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans part ways with Weaver, Salaam and Demps

As the 12:01 a.m. Friday deadline for the start of free agency approaches, the Texans are continuing to make moves. They are releasing defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps today.

Weaver is the only player of the three who started last season. He said Monday he found out he would be waived this week. The Texans are looking for a replacement for Weaver at left defensive end in free agency or the draft.

Salaam played behind rookie left tackle Duane Brown last season. Demps began the season as a starter, but lost his job when the Texans moved Eugene Wilson and Nick Ferguson into the lineup.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6280713.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Cut Weaver, Salaam, Demps

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6280713.html
As the 12:01 a.m. Friday deadline for the start of free agency approaches, the Texans are continuing to make moves. They are releasing defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps today.

Weaver is the only player of the three who started last season. He said Monday he found out he would be waived this week. The Texans are looking for a replacement for Weaver at left defensive end in free agency or the draft.

Salaam played behind rookie left tackle Duane Brown last season. Demps began the season as a starter, but lost his job when the Texans moved Eugene Wilson and Nick Ferguson into the lineup.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Cut Weaver, Salaam, Demps

I beat you to it!!

Mods, merge thread.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure whether to be surprised by Ephraim or not. I like the guy and with yearly injuries and line experience a premium I thought he'd stay. But he also wasn't too happy last year as a backup.
Old 02-25-2009   #5
Polo

Out with the old, in with the new...

I like it.
Old 02-25-2009   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a lot more cuts than I thought we would make. I'm fine if we get more experienced players, I'd just hate to fill all of these vacancies with rookies or castoffs.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Salaam was the ultimate pro who stepped up his game, helped his replacement and earned his pay check. I salute him.
Old 02-25-2009   #8
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised that we cut Salaam but happy as heck that we cut Weaver!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Christmas!!!! Salaam has been cut! finally! Apparently, the organization finally sees my value and is now operating largely based on my reccomendations. Now, as long as Studdard doesn't make the 53 man roster, everyone will know who is really in charge... That would be me, for those who can't follow my twisted logic. What a day this is shaping up to be. God bless Rashod Butler and the Houston Texans!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #10
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

So I know we save about 800K on the cap this season for dropping Weaver, what do the savings look like for the other two?
Old 02-25-2009   #11
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be glad when the business end is over and we can get to arguing over the draft.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #12
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
This is a lot more cuts than I thought we would make. I'm fine if we get more experienced players, I'd just hate to fill all of these vacancies with rookies or castoffs.
We actually have some guys that should have a fair amount of experience...Butler, Studdard...guys like that should have a better chance of making the team and being an intergal part of things...
Old 02-25-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

still giggling like a 4 year old girl............................ yippee!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Smilies can't describe the pride i feel as i watch the names coming out on the cut list. To borrow a poker term, It looks like they are finally going all in trying to get to that next level! I'm ready for next season already.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #15
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
still giggling like a 4 year old girl............................ yippee!
what's new? j/k
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I hope that the cutting of Demps is a sign that the team confident that they can re-sign Wilson.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

Smilies can't describe the pride i feel as i watch the names coming out on the cut list. To borrow a poker term, It looks like they are finally going all in trying to get to that next level! I'm ready for next season already.
I can see this. It is nice when a team decides to stop trotting out the same guys that got them to .500 and to try and turn it up a notch with others. I think there is something to be said for being able to cut guys who you desperately needed on the roster before....kind of like last camp when you actually have tough cuts because there is talent there.
Old 02-25-2009   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
We actually have some guys that should have a fair amount of experience...Butler, Studdard...guys like that should have a better chance of making the team and being an intergal part of things...
I wouldn't say that they have any experience. Butler has maybe seen 5 live game snaps at most. Studdard might have a series or two under his belt. While both have been here awhile neither has much in the wat of regular season expierence.

The cutting of Salaam is probably more a sign that Gibbs is fairlty confident in the abilities of Butler and Studdard.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Now Chester is going to go on the radio and cry that his friend is no longer on the team and demand more money now and complain that talks of an extension have stalled.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
IThe cutting of Salaam is probably more a sign that Gibbs is fairlty confident in the abilities of Butler and Studdard.
As LTs?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read