Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2009   #1
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Interview With Demeco

Demeco was on 790 this morning and had some interesting things to say. He said he tried to negotiate a new deal with the team but the team stalled on him. He also said he would like to get a new deal before the season starts. He really sounds like hes not happy with the way things are being handled. He wants to be considered a priority, and he doesn't feel hes being treated that way. He said that hes sad to see Sage go because they had faith that he could step in and do the job. I just hope the team can get him locked up and change his feelings towards the way things are being handled. Oh, and another thing he was playing Madden against Morlon Greenwood, he was using the COWGIRLS, and Greenwood was using the Texans. Seeing Demeco in a Girls uni would make me sick..........

Heres the link to the interview:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182..._Craig_Roberts

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting Interview With Demeco

I think they all want to be a priority but right now. Especially with the team having all kinds of money right now. However, guys like Demeco are not. They currently have to play under their contract. I think after FA and after the draft we will then make the resigning happen.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall that is somewhat depressing. We, as a franchise have never been down this road before. I really hope that we can find a way to pay everyone.

Here is something I just posted on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Look, getting good football players that you can afford to keep on your team for 8+ years is the key. value is about quality players for a reasonable price so that you don't have one guy who's making 4 times as much as someone with similar productivity. (see Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood)

Being able to continue to pay Schaub, Winston, Pitts, Brown, Slaton, Johnson, Daniels, Walter, Leach, Williams, Ryans, Cochran, Okoye (maybe), and Robinson for years to come is what value is.

These are the core guys of this team. They are the playmakers that we need to keep together to continue to be successful. If we can get several playmakers at a reasonable price it is a better deal that getting one superstar for an astronomical price.

That's how teams like Indy and Pittsburgh were able to have continued success for over a decade.
I'm very concerned that we can pay everyone.

I'm almost hoping that all the moves we're making are so that we can pay everyone but It looks like we're stockpiling draft picks. We've got guys here that we need to lock up long term as well.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Why are players wanted to get extended now? Don't they realize next year is uncapped? As in "Name your price!"
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Why are players wanted to get extended now? Don't they realize next year is uncapped? As in "Name your price!"
The "uncapped year" isn't a guaranteed thing yet despite all the speculation that it is.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably most guys in the NFL wouldn't mind playing for Dallas.

Their players
a) get paid well above the going rate
and
b) aren't held accountable by the coaching staff
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Sigh. Let's please not botch DeMeco's contract.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all I think a deal will get done before the uncapped year happens.

I got to thinking about the steelers who have lost players to FA all the time and they continue to compete. I think I'm living in a dream land where we get to keep all our guys. I need to realize that we're going to loose key guys. Demeco is upset, Dunta's upset, Open Daniels is due his payday, we could loose some guys. It's going to be hard to handle. I just hope it's the right guys that we decide to keep!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys like Demeco want an extension now because he wwont become a FA in the uncapped year. He'll be restricted, and so we can lowball him without letting him leave
Old 02-24-2009   #10
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

DeMeco needs to shut his mouth. Going public with the details of his negotiation is not helpful to him or the team, especially in the wake of the Dunta cluster.

SYFPH DeMeco!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I have not been as big of a fan of DeMeco as each season passes.

His rookie year was his best. Stats can be skewed, unless they are off-the-charts phenomenal. I don't dig out stats, so help me if I am wrong: Has DeMeco had a better season, each season, than the year before?

I know that in watching him in his rookie year, he seems to be wherever the ball was. He was in on the tackle no matter what. And he often was the first guy to the ball carrier. Everyone, even the commentators, were saying how crazy good he was playing his rookie year.

But since that year, I don't see him playing the same. He has an arm injury, which has to be a shoulder separation because he wears that anti-dislocation device (left arm, I think) like Clinton Portis wears. And I just don't see the same "zip" in DeMeco that I saw in his rookie year.

Granted, he might have been under-the-radar in his rookie year. And now offenses are gameplanning against him, and ball carriers are aware of where he's at (or gonna' be at).

Still, hearing him gripe about his contract...on the heels of Dunta making little comments...is irritating to me as a fan. As a fan, I had been feeling he was not giving 100% on each play like he did his rookie year. And now I read this from the man himself. What conclusions do I make? And even though my opinion doesn't matter to DeMeco, the same opinion might be held by the Texans coaching staff and management. Dude is a GIFTED player, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the coaches think that, too. But there's a draft every year. We hit on DeMeco in the draft. We can draft a LB in round 1 or 2 and replace his butt in no time at all.

Here's to hoping the Texans coaching staff and management do what's best for the future and NOT what's best for the short-term. I think that's why teams like the Steelers have done so well: They are always ahead of the game on the big decisions. They make the tough cuts at the right times, and just find a way to always look to the future.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The "uncapped year" isn't a guaranteed thing yet despite all the speculation that it is.
The less talked about aspect of the salary cap is that there is a salary floor in place also. That goes away with also, so there are some teams that will go cheap in 2010 if there is not an agreement in place.

And as someone else posted a believe that Ryans is in the group of players which won't become FAs 2010 if there is not an agreement, so he wants a deal now.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Ryans is out of bounds to be asking for a new deal. A lot of teams have a 1 year rule, where players can only discuss restructuring or resining when they have 1 year left on their current contract.

Ryans deal is up in 2009, so this is the time for him to get the attention
Old 02-24-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Did he sound like he was complaining or stating facts and dealing with them?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody wants to be priority number one.
Old 02-24-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
When is it my turn?

LOL.

So true. So true.
Old 02-24-2009   #17
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Exactly. That was point when he really lost me in that interview. If he can't take his blinders off long enough to step into the team's shoes and see why they're not making him the top priority right now, he cannot realistically expect any movement in the negotiations process.
Old 02-24-2009   #18
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Did he sound like he was complaining or stating facts and dealing with them?
He sounded like a whiny *****.
Old 02-24-2009   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kris Brown is up for contract renewal in 2009 also.

I have a feeling some of our players are not as happy with Mr. SMITH as some of you guys are. He might be an asshat from hell to the players. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
He sounded like a whiny *****.
LOL. I like it when people can call it like they see it.

There's no good that comes from a player doing this right after another teammate (especially on defense) has been tagged.

To me, the guy is piling on.

The players can think whatever they want about Rick Smith. It looks like we might finally have a GM who knows what he's doing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read