Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2009   #1
steroids
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 steroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respectedsteroids is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steroids offseason plan

Hi guys,

Wanted to bounce this off everyone. I believe we are much closer to getting better than everyone thinks. So without spending too much time having you read a forward, here is my ideal offseason.

First, I believe that a DE opposite Mario, a playmaking LB, and a complimentary back to Steve Slaton are the biggest concerns.

What I would like to see done is trade Sage for a 4th round draft pick. Trade Anthony Weaver to the Broncos for a second day pick (they need help at the 3-4 DE position - call it another 4th). This means we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th. I would trade our 15th pick, for around the 8th pick. I would like to use our 1st, 2 4th's, and a 7ths for this. I would then use our 2nd, 3rd, remaining 4th, 5th, and 6th to trade up to the 9th position.

With the 8th pick, I would select Rey Mauluga. With the 9th pick I would select Brian Orakpo. I would then trade our future 4th and 7th to the Giants for Ward. I would then trade Travis Johnson to the Dolphins for Ricky Williams and a future draft pick if possible.

In FA, I would go after the FS from the Rams, and the best C we can get our hands on.

Our 2009 RB rotation: Derrick Ward, Steve Slaton, Ricky Williams
Front 7 - Mario, Okam, Amobi, Orakpo
Diles/Adibi Mauluga Ryans

Thoughts?
steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steroids offseason plan

Thoughts?

I think any plan based on trades that haven't and likely won't happen is one that is too pie in the sky to buy into.

I think we will get DE and RB help, although I think they may like what they have at LB with Diles, Ryans and Adibi. They will get depth there though.
Old 02-23-2009   #3
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
Hi guys,

Wanted to bounce this off everyone. I believe we are much closer to getting better than everyone thinks. So without spending too much time having you read a forward, here is my ideal offseason.

First, I believe that a DE opposite Mario, a playmaking LB, and a complimentary back to Steve Slaton are the biggest concerns.

What I would like to see done is trade Sage for a 4th round draft pick. Trade Anthony Weaver to the Broncos for a second day pick (they need help at the 3-4 DE position - call it another 4th). This means we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th. I would trade our 15th pick, for around the 8th pick. I would like to use our 1st, 2 4th's, and a 7ths for this. I would then use our 2nd, 3rd, remaining 4th, 5th, and 6th to trade up to the 9th position.

With the 8th pick, I would select Rey Mauluga. With the 9th pick I would select Brian Orakpo. I would then trade our future 4th and 7th to the Giants for Ward. I would then trade Travis Johnson to the Dolphins for Ricky Williams and a future draft pick if possible.

In FA, I would go after the FS from the Rams, and the best C we can get our hands on.

Thoughts?
I guess that would make training camp a lot less stressfull, already being down to 53 and all......
Old 02-23-2009   #4
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Charley, this board is for fans, kindly get out of here.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think trading our entire draft for 2 picks this year is a bad idea. It also guarantees a huge alotment to rookie salaries.

We do very well drafting in rounds 3 and 4. I'd rather trade our first rounder for picks in rounds 2-7
Old 02-23-2009   #6
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

1st DE Orakpo/Maybin/Brown/Ayers(whichever one is available).
2nd LB Clay Matthews USC
3rd S Emmanuel Cook South Carolina
4th CB Captain Munnerlyn South Carolina
4th*(The pick from the Vikings if it goes through)RB Cedric Peerman Virginia or RB Andre Brown NCST.(Whichever one is available.)
5th DT Roy Miller Texas
6th LB Jasper Brinkley South Carolina(I have no idea where he is projected to go)
7th QB Todd Boeckman Ohio st.

**Bring in S Sean Jones via Free Agency

Last edited by Big Poundcake; 02-23-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #7
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
Hi guys,

Thoughts?
Those trades are probably not balanced. IMO it would take a lot more to move up, in either case. Does anyone have the link to that draft pick point table? See if they add up.

Yeah, definitely not a good idea to trade your entire draft for two picks, because one or both of them could end up being busts. I'd rather take more shots at finding a gem with multiple picks than trade up and get someone who could turn out to be a bust.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2009   #8
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 36481 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade the lot for some of those rock-solid sub-prime mortgage derivatives.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #9
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

At first I thought the title of the thread was about giving the Texans steroids :S. lol
The Rams franchised Atogwe, fyi.
Old 02-24-2009   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough View Post
At first I thought the title of the thread was about giving the Texans steroids :S. lol
The Rams franchised Atogwe, fyi.
Actually , I thought this thread was about baseball before cathers and Pitchers report.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read