Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2009   #1
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default killing multiple birds with one stone

Pat White QB West Virginia
40 time 4.43

alright hear me out on this one.
hes not really considered to be a starting caliber QB at the next level but he can still contribute to this team in multiple ways.

first: he's a QB. maybe not a pro QB but he played it in college. this would allow Kubiak to comfortably keep 2 QBs on the roster rather than the 3 that most teams carry and not have to rely on a high school QB (OD) if both Matt and Sage go down and, if he developed well enough, he might be able to replace Sage as the permanent number 2.

second: hes fast. could help in the return game out of the gate and if, god forbid, they try to go to the wildcat again this would keep the ball away from having to be put in Jacoby's hands out of the shotgun. also he showed elusiveness in college that could transfer over into the pros and this could make him a dangerous receiving threat.

third: did you see him and Slaton in college? i would love to see that again but moved to Houston.

a third or fourth for all of this? not much of a pricetag in my opinion.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: killing multiple birds with one stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
40 time 4.43

hes not really considered to be a starting caliber QB at the next level but he can still contribute to this team in multiple ways.

first: he's a QB. maybe not a pro QB but he played it in college. this would allow Kubiak to comfortably keep 2 QBs on the roster rather than the 3 that most teams carry and not have to rely on a high school QB (OD) if both Matt and Sage go down and, if he developed well enough, he might be able to replace Sage as the permanent number 2.

second: hes fast. could help in the return game out of the gate and if, god forbid, they try to go to the wildcat again this would keep the ball away from having to be put in Jacoby's hands out of the shotgun. also he showed elusiveness in college that could transfer over into the pros and this could make him a dangerous receiving threat.

third: did you see him and Slaton in college? i would love to see that again but moved to Houston.

I would LOVE to pick up Pat White. Howeverr, he help his stock alot as he threw the ball ather well, and the QB class sucks.
Old 02-23-2009   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

love Pat White, but the Texans just have too many early needs at this point. a team he fits perfectly would be the Carolina Panthers. can you imagine with that backfield (DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart) & Steve Smith deep how hard to stop they would be?. their version of the wildcat would be just sick. if I were Panthers GM I would select him with my 2nd rd. pick
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
40 time 4.43
According to NFL.com his official 40 time is a 4.55

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to pick up Pat White. He could be the eventual successor to Sage possibly. Hopefully by then, Schaub would have shown that he can stay on his feet for the whole season too.

I wouldn't use him as our returnman. If he's going to be your backup QB, you don't do that.

I've been really hoping we draft Jevan Snead from Ole Miss (formerly from Texas through Florida ) next year. I've been thinking he'd be an early second day pick but I think he could just shoot up the boards with another good season. He's got everything you look for in a guy to groom.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #6
Polo

Well...
Old 02-25-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Well...
yeah...if they like Pat White or Stephen Mcgee for that matter, why play chicken with them....got an extra fourth...spend it. Bang the hole.
Old 02-25-2009   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Slaton and White re-united doing what they did in college? Yes please! I keep hearing that the Texans are interested and we are considering a wildcat package. Not sure what his worth is right now; I'd like to get him for a 4th, but we might have to use a 3rd.
Old 02-25-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm down for White, as long as him being the backup QB doesn't keep him away from doing what his strength is: just being a really, really, really athletic guy who can throw. I would want to see him lining up at reciever, wildcat, maybe punt returns too.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #10
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

We already have a small version of the wildcat...Owen Daniels was a QB in college or High School(can't remember) just think, we could call it the kittycat
Old 02-25-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Six foot? Hmmm. Need too much to give up anything above a 6th for a QB.
Old 02-25-2009   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Six foot? Hmmm. Need too much to give up anything above a 6th for a QB.
Pretty much my thought there. 6 foot is usually too small for an NFL QB> His speed will help him catch on though. Reminds me of a faster Troy Smith, I think the biggest reason Smith got selected in the 3rd was that he won the Heisman. If we do want Pat White I got a feeling he'll still be there in third and possibly the forth. Can't say I like the idea of another project player taken in the third though.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is our obvious starter. Rosenfels probably getting traded for a 4th. Craig Nall, I think is a free agent. And then Alex Brink. I'd love to know what Kubiak thinks of Brink and his progress.

Ideally, I'd like to sign a free agent to back up Schaub- say a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Keep Alex Brink on the practice squad.

I can see Pat White getting drafted anywhere from the late 2nd to the 4th round. If we can find a trade down partner in the 1st like last year, move down, pick up a 3rd round pick and select a DE like Robert Ayers or LB like Clay Matthews? Then with that extra 3rd rounder select Pat White.

I don't think I'd feel too comfortable if White was our immediate backup QB. He wouldn't make it on the practice squad, so we'd be forced to carry 3 QBs on the active roster. We've cut so many player I think we can make it work.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #14
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Pretty much my thought there. 6 foot is usually too small for an NFL QB> His speed will help him catch on though. Reminds me of a faster Troy Smith, I think the biggest reason Smith got selected in the 3rd was that he won the Heisman. If we do want Pat White I got a feeling he'll still be there in third and possibly the forth. Can't say I like the idea of another project player taken in the third though.
not to question your knowledge of the draft (which means i'm about to question your draft knowledge) but wasn't Smith taken with the last pick in the 5th by baltimore?
Old 02-25-2009   #15
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
40 time 4.43

a 4th round pat white pick up would be nice...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #16
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
a 4th round pat white pick up would be nice...
don't get me wrong i would love to see White in the 4th but in reality using a number 3 seems more likely to happen. draft him, train him in Kubes school of hard knox, then trade him to an nfc team for two 2nds in three years and pray that Schaub doesn't go into the dog fighting business.
Old 02-26-2009   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not to question your knowledge of the draft (which means i'm about to question your draft knowledge) but wasn't Smith taken with the last pick in the 5th by baltimore?
Ouch yep you are right....next time should double check before inserting foot into mouth.

The weak QB class might bump him into the third but I'm not sure it would be to play QB. IF that's the case still don't like the idea of taking a project player like that in the third. Fourth I'd be more willing. Fifth yep.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read