Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2009   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gartrell Johnson and Glenn Coffee

I lied what I saw out of these two in the combine and I saw alot of Coffee over the past college season. I think either of these two would be a great back up to Slaton but think that Gartrell is more of a thumper. Here are their stats. What do you think.

G.Johnson:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=166677

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...ee_glen00.html
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gartrell Johnson and Glenn Coffee

I like Johnson a lot for this team. Seems like a later round pick we could get to back up Slaton. I think they'd be a great combination. The fact he played for Colorado State makes it all the much more liklier.

I'd like to see us address the defense early and often and the look at this kid. Seems like a 4th rounder or so... maybe 5?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i liked both those guys & wouldn't be disappointed if we wound up with either of them to back up steve, but if we could get our hands on shon greene i prefer him to either of those 2. He looked pretty good in the cone drills & had decent speed, size & hands. He's also got the weight to be that perfect goal line back for us.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

on record already not a big fan of Coffee or Gartrell.

Shonn Green is another thing, but doubt he slips into the 3rd or Texans would take him in the 2nd.

Rashad Jennings or Andre Brown in 3rd would address a solid commitment to help share workload w/Slaton.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Shonn Greene will in no way slip to the third round. He'll most likely be an early second rounder.

I like Gatrell Johnson. He seemed to play well in the East West Shrine game and could be a good compliment to Slaton.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i can see gartrell (Ron Dayne 2.0 anyone?) but why not coffee? he was a top performer in many categories, he's a down hill 1 cut runner. He seems perfect for us.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a huge Gartrell fan with the East-West Shrine game and what I've seen and heard so far. I think he can be had in the right spot and would compliment Slaton well. I don't think he is a Dayne clone at all.
Old 02-23-2009   #8
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what I saw in Gartrell yesterday. He's not all that fast in the 40, but if he can hit the hole quick enough and drive with those tree trunk legs of his, he would be a great complement to Slaton. He shouldn't have any problem picking up the offense, coming from CSU.
Old 02-23-2009   #9
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 90 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected

man that johnson kid is a tank man.........

forget the 40 time and all that.........he is bult like a brinks truck....I would love him spelling slaton next year man...for real.......good luck bringing that guy down in a short yardage 3rd down or goalline situation......
Old 02-23-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought I was in a differet thread for a second. How's about this for a draft? LOL

1) DE Michael Johnson
2) FS Rashad Johnson
3) CB Domanique Johnson
4) RB Gartrell Johnson
5) FB Quinn Johnson
6) TE David Johnson
7) WR Taurus Johnson
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #11
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 90 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I thought I was in a differet thread for a second. How's about this for a draft? LOL

1) DE Michael Johnson
2) FS Rashad Johnson
3) CB Domanique Johnson
4) RB Gartrell Johnson
5) FB Quinn Johnson
6) TE David Johnson
7) WR Taurus Johnson

lol great draft!!!!!!

only change i make is 5th round pick since we losin sage......brian johnson with the utes.....or johnson outta tulsa
Old 02-23-2009   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

1) DE Michael Johnson
2) FS Rashad Johnson
3) CB Domanique Johnson
4) RB Gartrell Johnson
5) FB Quinn Johnson
6) TE David Johnson
7) WR Taurus Johnson
Would love that draft but I want no part of Michael Johnson's lazy ass
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just thinking that given Kubes doesn't like going RB in the 1st, and the fact that anyone coming in isn't going to be the main focus of the offense, and then given our needs elswhere (DE, Safety, CB) we probably wont go RB until after round 3. This kind of rules out guys like Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings. In a perfect world I want Knoshawn Moreno but it aint going to happen.

I've seen Coffee and this kid can grind man. Honestly I don't see that Alabama offense moving very well without him. He got the tough yards for them.

When it comes to Gartrell, I don't even want to look at his 40 because I don't care. Dude is huge and would work well with us. Besides, alot of RBs timed slow in the 40 this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Gartrell is impressive but I've seen little of him. My problem with what has been identified as team weak areas and what will be available at #15. Raji is the only one of the primary needs (increase production in red zone, a player to stop the run and DE opposite Mario) that is possible imo at that pick. We need another OLB but not at that pick. Yeah Cushing or whomever would be great, but again not at #15 with the three other priorities listed. We could use an upgrade at corner too, but not there. If Raji not at #15, I think any other player is a waste. I think a trade down would get the best value and depending on where we end up, get what you can. Two of the three needs, DE can be gotten in 2nd round( Ayers, Shaunessey, Kreuger) and 3rd or 4th can bring the back. If Raji gone, imo only Ron Brace DT can be taken to stop run. He will be a good pick low in first and not there when we draft in 2nd. A CB or solid OLB very late in 1st would be all right, if we get DE and Rb. May have to wait til next year on a NT.

What I think will happen is a trade down with my faves listed

1st trade down Ron Brace NT run stopper
2nd Robert Ayers DE across from Mario
3rd (ours) Rashad Johnson true FS with speed
3rd trade down Andre Livitre OG
4th ours Trevor Canfield OG/OT
4th (Sage) Gartell Johnson power back for red zone
Old 02-24-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Gartrell is impressive but I've seen little of him. My problem with what has been identified as team weak areas and what will be available at #15. Raji is the only one of the primary needs (increase production in red zone, a player to stop the run and DE opposite Mario) that is possible imo at that pick. We need another OLB but not at that pick. Yeah Cushing or whomever would be great, but again not at #15 with the three other priorities listed. We could use an upgrade at corner too, but not there. If Raji not at #15, I think any other player is a waste. I think a trade down would get the best value and depending on where we end up, get what you can. Two of the three needs, DE can be gotten in 2nd round( Ayers, Shaunessey, Kreuger) and 3rd or 4th can bring the back. If Raji gone, imo only Ron Brace DT can be taken to stop run. He will be a good pick low in first and not there when we draft in 2nd. A CB or solid OLB very late in 1st would be all right, if we get DE and Rb. May have to wait til next year on a NT.

What I think will happen is a trade down with my faves listed

1st JMO but I dont think Brace is wirth a 1st or a second for that matter.

2nd Doubtfull Ayers will last this long but possible. Would love it!

3rd I would be happy with RJ here but am hping for better value.

3rd Dont be surprised if Levitre gets taken late first or early second.

4th Dont see us taking OL in the top of this draft. Just to many holes and too much talent at need positions in this draft.

4th G Johnson is someone Im hoping for later in the draft. 4th round might be to high for him. Im hoping his slow 40 will keep him around till the 6th round
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...What I think will happen is a trade down with my faves listed

IMO, Brace is nothing special and he is nothing that Okam isn't. I think he goes in the 3rd and I don't think we should do it.

I love Ayers. I could definitely live with that.

I could live with Johnson here.

Levitre looks like a mid-2nd rounder at this point.

I don't know about getting another interior lineman here but Canfield is still a good player that will drop to about the 4th because of character concerns.

I don't like Johnson in the 4th. At that point, there will be better backs available. I wouldn't be against taking him in the 6th though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
IMO, Brace is nothing special and he is nothing that Okam isn't. I think he goes in the 3rd and I don't think we should do it.

I love Ayers. I could definitely live with that.

I could live with Johnson here.

Levitre looks like a mid-2nd rounder at this point.

I don't know about getting another interior lineman here but Canfield is still a good player that will drop to about the 4th because of character concerns.

I don't like Johnson in the 4th. At that point, there will be better backs available. I wouldn't be against taking him in the 6th though.
Hey thats what I said!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Hey thats what I said!
You know what?

I commented on the other post before I read yours and I could probably just delete mine after reading it...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Would love that draft but I want no part of Michael Johnson's lazy ass
Yeah you lost me at hello Old Miss. Might as well take twenty million in front of the offices on kirby and set the pile a'fire.
Old 02-24-2009   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Raji is the only one of the primary needs (increase production in red zone, a player to stop the run and DE opposite Mario) that is possible imo at that pick.

If they want Ayers..one year wonder and all, better pull the trigger in the first. And I still Rather have Quinn Johnson as the banger.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read