Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-21-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Haynesworth could get 6 year, 100 million dollar deal

And it could have ripple effects to every other NFL team... Great.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=09%20combine
Quote:
Giant Haynesworth deal will have ripple effect

February 21, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Haynesworth

INDIANAPOLIS -- The numbers flying around the scouting combine are baffling, but we shouldn't be surprised.

After Oakland signed cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a deal averaging $15 million a year, the scouting combine buzz has been that a free-agent package for Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth could come in the form of a six-year contract technically worth $100 million.

Chicago's Tommie Harris currently ranks as the NFL's highest-priced defensive tackle at roughly $10 million a year. It's a big jump to go from the $7.25 million franchise tag to the top paid player at the position, never mind the top paid player on defense in the league.

And consider this element of the potential leap Haynesworth could make: the franchise number for tackles, which is the average of the 10 highest paid players at the position, ranks last among the five defensive positions.

Franchise numbers on defense:
Franchise player values on defense
Cornerback $9.95 million
Defensive end $8.991 million
Linebacker $8.304 million
Safety $6.342 million
Defensive tackle $6.058 million

At the scouting combine, I asked a variety of front-office guys some of these questions: Could a defensive tackle be worthy of being the highest-paid defender? Would a deal that makes him so screw up salary structures? What sort of impact would it have in terms of precedent?

No one really regarded it as a doomsday scenario, which surprised me a bit. I guess everyone has come to terms with the giant contract to the biggest free agent, and learned to simply brace for the next one.

Thirty-one teams may wind up thinking the franchise that backs up a Brinks truck to the Haynesworth residence has gone overboard. But the rest of the league won't be able to wall themselves off from its impact, as they will all feel a ripple effect in time -- and probably not a very long time.

OK, then. Here's a sampling of what some NFL power brokers think about all that. Most talked about a hypothetical defensive tackle rather than Haynesworth specifically.

Thomas Dimitroff, GM, Atlanta: I think free agency in general throws a lot of things off. When you look at it from a business perspective and you look at our cap, ultimately that's not how we want to personally build. We want to stress the draft. To throw double-digit millions in guaranteed money and a high average-per-year money into a player who is not a part of your system and coming from another situation, that really has me back on my heels a little bit to be honest with you. We would have to do a lot of work when evaluating that. Again, I think there are some fine football players in the draft that you can continue to develop. Ray Hamilton, in my mind, is a top defensive line coach. I think he gets the most out of those guys. Let's let him coach football. Let him coach the young players. That's my position.

Kevin Colbert, director of football operations, Pittsburgh: I don't think you can ever limit the salary structure to a position. If you feel a player is that good, then you better pay him. People talk about, 'Well, traditionally you don't draft safeties real high,' I think that's been proven wrong as well. If they are great players, it doesn't matter what position they play, they can help your team in some form or fashion. And if they're that great, they're probably going to change the salary structures as well.

Jim Schwartz, coach, Detroit: I think when you talk about high-priced players anywhere, you talk about people who can impact the game. Maybe not just from a fan standpoint, but from a coaching and a scheme standpoint. Left tackles get paid a lot of money, not because it looks real pretty on TV or in the media, but because of what he does for an offensive coordinator and his protects and things like that. You've got to have ability to impact the game -- corners who can shut down somebody, pass-rushers who can win one-on-ones, those guys impact the game. Running [backs] who can run against eight-man fronts, they impact the game. Quarterbacks impact the game. Hypothetically, if there's a defensive tackle who dominates the game, there's no reason he wouldn't be the highest paid player.

Ted Thompson, GM, Green Bay: In terms of just a generic position thing, quite frankly, the defensive line position -- I know the defensive end position is a little bit more glorified, more sacks and things -- but defensive tackles, since the onset of free agency, have always made quite a bit of money. They might not have been right at the top in terms of the groupings, but no, that wouldn't be a remarkable surprise.

Scot McCloughan, GM, 49ers: You know what? It wouldn't surprise me at all. That's the one thing about free agency, and that's the one thing about organizations that have done a good job, they have some cap room, and all of a sudden it gets to the point where they think that one guy can make them be a Super Bowl contender. I think it's proved out especially at the corner position. All it takes it one team to say, 'Listen, we're doing it.' Then it sets the market for the future. It's a scary business ....

It's going to affect the long term, all of the sudden it set a precedent. Here it is: 'My guy is as good as him.' Or, 'My guy is half as good as him, so I get half the money.' Seriously. You can see it with [Oakland punter Shane] Lechler. What we got there, that sets a precedent -- $4 million a year for a punter ...

Holy smokes, here we go. You better draft a good one. We've got one locked in [Andy Lee]. But agents are calling. I don't blame them, would you? I've got [a punter] that was in the Pro Bowl two years ago, was an alternate for the Pro Bowl this year and he makes a quarter [of that]. What's wrong with him? Well, he signed the deal.

You can't stop the market from being set, teams are going to set it. But once it's set, you've got to stay in it. If you want to dance with the good-looking girl, this is what you're going to have to pay. It's scary. That's why the draft's so important, you've got to be able to draft those young guys and know they're going to play and maybe not have the All-Pro, but have a good football player next to a good football player and be able to win a lot of games with them.
Old 02-21-2009   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Haynesworth could get 6 year, 100 million dollar deal

Who is planning on giving him that deal?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say Al Davis, but he screwed his cap up so much that there's no way.
Old 02-21-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Who is planning on giving him that deal?
I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see the Titans give him that deal.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #5
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

So either the Titans pay him a lot to stay or don't and let him leave, win/win for us. Unless of course he signs with the Colts. I don't see the Colts paying that much either. You never know.....

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
So either the Titans pay him a lot to stay or don't and let him leave, win/win for us. Unless of course he signs with the Colts. I don't see the Colts paying that much either. You never know.....
ugh, don't even say that. Can you imagine facing a line with mathis, freeney, and haynesworth together?
Old 02-21-2009   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
ugh, don't even say that. Can you imagine facing a line with mathis, freeney, and haynesworth together?
I know

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2009   #8
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I can see Sage warming up on the sidelines already.

Jeez.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #9
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1627 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Source: Titans increase offer to Haynesworth in 'productive' meeting
By: Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:29 am

INDIANAPOLIS - The Tennessee Titans and Chad Speck, the agent for defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, had a "productive" meeting Saturday at the NFL Combine that resulted in the Titans increasing their offer to Haynesworth, according to a league source. Neither Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt nor Speck could be reached for comment. Haynesworth will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday, unless and he and the Titans can agree on a contract extension before then. Haynesworth is believed to be seeking a deal that could make him the highest paid defensive player in the league, with guaranteed money that could reach $35 million. According to reports, the initial offer was for four years and a reported $36 million. According to a source, approximately $20-25 million of that would have been in guarantees. How much the Titans have increased their offer is not yet known, but speculation is that if Haynesworth reaches the open market some team will likely come close to meeting his demands. Titans coach Jeff Fisher also said Friday that they have not given up on signing Haynesworth, and that even if he gets to the open market, they would still try to retain him, even as other teams bid for his services. Earlier this week, the Atlanta Falcons, one of the teams Haynesworth had previously said he would be interested in playing for, all but bowed out of the sweepstakes as their general manager Thomas Dimitroff told The City Paper that his club would not be a big player in free agency, despite Haynesworth's talent and credentials. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are one team believed to be interesting in Haynesworth if he gets to unrestricted free agency.
So that's where it stands at this point.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

6 years...100 million? With whom...Krispy Kreme? KFC? Popeyes? Pizza Hut?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read