Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-21-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vick: 49ers and Vikings Interested

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3922780

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Two teams with unsettled quarterback situations -- the San Francisco 49ers and the Minnesota Vikings -- might be interested in acquiring suspended Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick.

Vick is in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July. The Falcons have said they will try to trade him, though they could cut him and make him a free agent.

San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said Vick deserves the chance to play in the league, and believes he will be successful if he returns. He wouldn't say if the 49ers would pursue him.

"He's still under contract, you can't really talk to him or have any contact with him," Singletary said. "Right now, we're just going to look at the quarterbacks we have and go from there."

There might be questions about Vick's sharpness and conditioning because he hasn't played since 2006, but he's a proven winner who led the Falcons to an NFC championship game and has been to three Pro Bowls. The dynamic athlete has the NFL single-season record for yards rushing by a quarterback with 1,039 in 2006, and is third all-time. He also has passed for 11,505 yards in six seasons, with 71 touchdowns and 52 interceptions.

Singletary said the team would likely enter training camp with Shaun Hill as the No. 1 quarterback. Hill passed for 2,046 yards and had an 87.5 passer rating last season, but that wasn't enough to impress 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who said the team clearly needs to upgrade the position.

"I'm not going to get into names," he said. "The important thing now is which ones fit that [system]. It has to be a chemistry where he fits in with everybody. There's value out there, and it's a position we need to address, whether it's the draft or free agency."

Minnesota coach Brad Childress said the Vikings are looking for someone to challenge Tarvaris Jackson, and are willing to make moves to ensure that it happens.

"We need to put somebody in place that will push him and compete with him," Childress said. "I think competition is the nature of the game."

Childress wouldn't confirm or deny interest in Vick.

"I really don't get into hypotheticals because I think there's too much water that's got to happen. I'd cross that bridge when I come to it."

Veteran Gus Frerotte, who started for much of last season before getting injured, isn't sure if he'll return. The Vikings say they would welcome Frerotte back, though he has made it clear he wants to start.

Jackson began last season as Minnesota's starter, but was benched for Frerotte after the Vikings began the season 0-2. Frerotte went 8-3 as a starter, but he suffered a hand injury, and the Vikings turned to Jackson again. Jackson led the Vikings to the playoffs and finished the season with a 95.4 passer rating, the best of his three-year career. He has 20 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions in his career.

"I think that Tarvaris has to continue to improve, and I believe he will," Childress said. "I think he gave some glimpses, coming back in cold off the bench and doing some of the things he did. Obviously, he's got to eliminate some of those turnovers."

The New York Jets also will have a new quarterback after Brett Favre's retirement, but they appear to be happier than the 49ers and Vikings with what they have. New coach Rex Ryan said the team feels comfortable with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Eric Ainge competing for the job.

"I think if you ask the organization, it's probably split on who they think can do it." Ryan said. "It's definitely an open competition."

Ryan said he'd lean toward choosing among his three quarterbacks. He said he's not interested in selling the future for a quick fix.

"Right now, I'd rather have our draft picks," Ryan said. "I'd rather not talk about any potential free agent out there, with the tampering rules and everything else the way they are."
Old 02-21-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vick: 49ers and Vikings Interested

I read this earlier on ESPN, too. I found it to have a slightly misleeding article. Sure doesn't sound like either team has expressed any direct interest. I really dont think any team will give up anything major for Vick, when they know the Falcons will just cut him eventually
Old 02-21-2009   #3
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is that Vick will be suspended this year by the league. Goodell is still steamed that he lied to his face after the story first broke. The criminal justice system has had its say, now it is the NFL's turn . . .

But you talk about the perfect player to run the Wildcat--Vick is it.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

amazing that some teams would contemplate giving him a chance.

whoever signs him earns a berth right next to the titans and Cowboys in my NFL Hall of Shame.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #5
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Singletary yesterday on NFL Network said he does NOT want Vick on his team, and has more pressing needs to worry about. He said he was confident in Shaun Hill.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I give it a 50/50 chance he ever plays again.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only think Vick will be doing is spending time with his little brother. Both are done with the NFL.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2009   #8
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Comish let Pac Man back into the league. He will let Vick back into the league.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy served his time. Move on and get over it folks.

If he can still play he should be afforded the right to earn a spot in the best league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #10
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Singletary yesterday on NFL Network said he does NOT want Vick on his team, and has more pressing needs to worry about. He said he was confident in Shaun Hill.

I hope he sticks with that!! I'm a long time NINER fan, and I would hate to give um up after almost a half century of fandom!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #11
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

If he can still play he should be afforded the right to earn a spot in the best league.
True that, but I'm certainly not going to be lambasting teams for not signing him due to his past actions. If a team wants to have a punt on him, fine, they know what they're getting from Vick, and from fans and people across the globe for taking on a guy like Vick.

Personally, I wouldn't touch him as a football franchise. He's still hated by people (like it or not, cruelty to dogs ranks far higher in peoples level of anger than assaulting people, or being involved in gun incidents), and as I don't see him coming out of jail and being a #1 QB straight away, I would not give up the reputation of my franchise, for a backup quarterback.
mattieuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Fans are forgiving. It's only a matter of time before they move and forgive his past indiscretions.

Pick a sport - tons of examples ranging from steroids, murder, drugs, spousal abuse, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #13
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

I think he ends up on the 49's or the Dolphins.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

I'm with you in one sense: The circus that he would cause whenever he went on the road would be awesome!!
Old 02-23-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
I think he ends up on the 49's or the Dolphins.
Not as long as Parcells is there. He wants a heady guy at QB who can make his reads efficiently.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read