Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-14-2005   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Albert Menas was mentioned earlier and I think he might be some good depth at NT and may have the talent to become a solid starter. He came to the Shrine game, measuring 6' 3.5" and 321 lbs (which will help to quite soem of the concerns that he may have problems controlling his weight). He's definitly big enough to play NT, seems to have good quickness and plays the run better than most. The concerns are that he sin't in teh shape he needs to be, and add that to his size, he dosn't have great stamina. The more troubling is that he has the handle of an underachiever.

Just someone to keep an eye out on at the combine.
I watched him in the bowl game and he was blocked by the Bowling Green center one on one most of the game. I as not impressed with him in that game. He did not clug anything nor command the attention of multiple linemen. Does he have size and potential yes, but he has not done anything special as football player, no
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #22
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I watched him in the bowl game and he was blocked by the Bowling Green center one on one most of the game. I as not impressed with him in that game. He did not clug anything nor command the attention of multiple linemen. Does he have size and potential yes, but he has not done anything special as football player, no
Change the name of the opposing team, and I can say the same about nearly all the DT in this year's draft.

Mean's is on of the few with the size and potential who may becoming something. Is he a lock? Hell no. Is he worth a thrid or fourth round pick? Maybe. He'd definitly somebody to keep an eye on.

http://www.shrinegame.com/game_01_10_05.php

With such a diverse group of talent to choose from several others got mentions for certain attributes of their game, such as the athleticism of Auburn's Jay Ratliff, size and better-than-advertised quickness of Memphis' Albert Means and pass rush potential shown by Minnesota's Darrell Reid.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #23
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Here's one draft site's ranking of the DT's.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

Last edited by wags; 01-14-2005 at 02:49 PM.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #24
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I kind of like Luis Castillo out of Northwestern. If I remember correctly he played much of this year hurt, and he essientially caused havoc while playing with one arm. I think he tore a tendon or a muscle in his other arm. If he drops down to a second day pick he might be a nice pick up in the later rounds.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing about us and Marcus Spears' injury is that since our team is barely getting over injured players and stuff like that, I am not sure we are going to want to invest in a player with an injury that high.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #26
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Rod Wright is staying for his senior year.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #27
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Change the name of the opposing team, and I can say the same about nearly all the DT in this year's draft.

Mean's is on of the few with the size and potential who may becoming something. Is he a lock? Hell no. Is he worth a thrid or fourth round pick? Maybe. He'd definitly somebody to keep an eye on.

http://www.shrinegame.com/game_01_10_05.php

With such a diverse group of talent to choose from several others got mentions for certain attributes of their game, such as the athleticism of Auburn's Jay Ratliff, size and better-than-advertised quickness of Memphis' Albert Means and pass rush potential shown by Minnesota's Darrell Reid.
3rd or 4th round i tend to like guys who were productive and have something wrong, (too slow, too short, injury). The guys who have not produced with the physical goods are generally hit or miss so later is better like 5th or later. Means is in that 2nd category imo.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2005   #28
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

*Texas DTs Rodrique Wright and Larry Dibbles are both announcing their intentions to enter the draft today. Rumors have Wright leaving while Dibbles hasn't given much of a lean. Wright received a mid-1st Round grade from the advisory committee.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/underclassmen.htm
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #29
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I read wright was leaving on nfldraftcountdown.com
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #30
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Rodrique Wright's press conference. He is staying at Texas for his senior year.

Last edited by aj.; 01-15-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2005   #31
ComstockLode
Veteran

I posted yesterday that he was staying.... Rod wright that is.... You should check the staying or leaving thread...
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I posted yesterday that he was staying
I guess that makes two of us then.
Old 01-15-2005   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

then that officially reflects the heading of this thread
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #34
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
I posted yesterday that he was staying.... Rod wright that is.... You should check the staying or leaving thread...
Sorry to waste your precious time with my one line comment.
Old 01-19-2005   #35
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

CJ Mosley, DT Missiouri, has decided to enter the draft. Proves a nice little boost to the DT talent.

It's still weak though.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 01-19-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #36
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I kind of like Luis Castillo out of Northwestern. If I remember correctly he played much of this year hurt, and he essientially caused havoc while playing with one arm. I think he tore a tendon or a muscle in his other arm. If he drops down to a second day pick he might be a nice pick up in the later rounds.
I like Castillo a lot. He is a bit of a sleeper right now, projected for the third round. Depending on his combine workout, he may really rise in the ranking. I've read three scouting reports on him and none of them report any weakness of consequence. He needs to add a little weight and strength and refine his technique. He occassionally comes out too high and needs to keep his pads down. That's it for the negative. On the positive side, he's quick, very strong and always gives 100% with a great work ethic. He's played on a team that hasn't been very good recently so his numbers don't impress as much as the better known players, but he's had 251 career tackles, with 19.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks. He may not be a dominant pass rusher, but that's not the responsibility of a DLman in Caper's scheme and he's perfect to groom behind Walker and Smith. Pro Football Weekly says he has "really impressed the scouts" and "as a football player he does not leave much to be desired".

So, today I've been toying with the idea of trading our #13 pick for a 1st round pick in 2006 and a #2 this year.

With our two number 2's we go after Castillo and OG David Baas.

I'm predicting that Haloti Ngata is going to develope into an elite top 15 pick next year and I'd sure like the Texans to go after him. He's the prototypical NT but I like him as DE on the same side as Babin.

Last edited by Number19; 01-19-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005   #37
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CJ Mosley, DT Missiouri, has decided to enter the draft. Proves a nice little boost to the DT talent...
Haven't found a scouting report, but here are his stats:

6'-3"....305lbs......no 40 time

41 tackles.....8 tackles for loss...3 sacks......3 qb hurries
67 tackles...16 tackles for loss...6 sacks.......7 qb hurries
61 tackles...14 tackles for loss...6.5 sacks...12 qb hurries
Old 01-19-2005   #38
Number19
All Pro

Here are the career statistics for six defensive tackles. This is for three years - 2004 stats are generally unavailable.

PLAYER............TACKLES.....TFL.......SACKS

Cody...................85..........18.5........11
Spears................103.........17.5........10
Johnson...............117.........21.5.........?
Hawthorne............159........31............6
Mosley.................169.........38..........15. 5
Castillo.................176.........11..........2 .5

Mosley really stands out.
And Castillo, playing in the Big Ten, is an elite run defender.
Old 01-20-2005   #39
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
Here are the career statistics for six defensive tackles. This is for three years - 2004 stats are generally unavailable.

PLAYER............TACKLES.....TFL.......SACKS

Cody...................85..........18.5........11
Spears................103.........17.5........10
Johnson...............117.........21.5.........?
Hawthorne............159........31............6
Mosley.................169.........38..........15. 5
Castillo.................176.........11..........2 .5

Mosley really stands out.
And Castillo, playing in the Big Ten, is an elite run defender.
Is this scenario possible? Trade down to maybe 18-20th and get Rolle (some projections say he may fall that far but I'm not sure). We pick up a 2nd giving us two 2's & two 3's. Then we offer some combination to move back into 1st round to get Mosley? Maybe just a fantasy but who would have thought Texans would end up with 3 rookie starters last year?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #40
Blake
MMQB

Rolle will be the 1st CB off the board. Look for him to go top 10. I bet 2 CB's are gone before the 18th pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read