Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who rises up draft boards most based off combine performance?

would like a positive thread on athlete most likely to surprise on the up side, who is your pre-combine pick that comes in best prepared to impress scouts & NFL teams? defensive/offensive, small school/big school, coming off season ending injury/workout warrior-

Texans have eyes on several who's stock is climbing like DE Robert Ayers (#35) was a 2nd/3rd before Senior Bowl now looking to sneak into the 1st rd. Jarron Gilbert (#59) DE who shined here in Houston @ the east-west Shrine game in front of Texans Kubiak/Smith/Bush he was a 3rd/4th rd grade elevated based on that performance somewhere in 2nd, now with a solid combine could he get into the 1st? But you know me, proverbial stick in the mud, keep it real & consistant with my man Louis Delmas (#64) who flashed NFL FS @ Senior Bowl yet maintains a 2nd/3rd rd. grade? Now he shows why he should be rated as the #1 safety prospect in this class, that usually translates into someones 1st rd. pick.

So to illustrate example (based off NFLSCOUT. COM ratings) for the Texans to select Robert Ayers w/#15th pick his stock elevates up draft board 20 spots, Gilbert 44 spots & Delams 49. Ayers would likely fit a trade down scenero while Gilbert/Delams could be gone by 2nd rd. selection.

Here are a couple examples from the 08 draft-

Joe Flacco #39 drafted 18th +21 (built upon Senior bowl work)
Dustin Keller #45 drafted 30th +15 (blew everyone away @ combine)
Sam Baker #40 drafted 21st +19 (improved stock from Senior Bowl in workouts)
Chris Johnson, RB could not find his ranking before combine but you know before he blistered the 40 setting all time record 4.24 his stock really ascended post combine.

have fun
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #2
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who rises up draft boards most based off combine performance?

I think Delmas well shoot up the board more than he already has.
Old 02-20-2009   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Johnson. He will have scary numbers and teams will drool. See also Cushing and the guy who jumped out of the pool.
Old 02-20-2009   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Delmas and Matthews.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #5
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo and Johnson are the two guys that first come to mind. They are both freakish athletes the only difference is one has his head on straight while the other does not.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He might not climb into the 1st round, but this dude was a beast before he tore his ACL. Fast as hell for a TE.

Cornelius Ingram TE out of Florida
Old 02-20-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt it's because of the combine but I think Clay Matthews will sneak into the 20-35 pick range. I see a lot of mocks that still have him as a 3rd/4th rounder.

I could see one of the CBs or maybe Patrick Chung skyrocketing to mid-1st rd range. Say around our selection... MAYBe.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2009   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this one is in the books. played in Texas vs. Nation. he is a RB 5-11 199 from a small school in Texas Abilene Christian, currently ranked #331. he is gonna bust it in the 40 with one of the combine fastest times. I could see him easily moving up 100+ spots, can you guess his name?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no for an answer to Beerlover, but I predict that Patrick Chung will have a great combine and move into the mid 1st round. Strong possibility that the Texans could take him at #15.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this one is in the books. played in Texas vs. Nation. he is a RB 5-11 199 from a small school in Texas Abilene Christian, currently ranked #331. he is gonna bust it in the 40 with one of the combine fastest times. I could see him easily moving up 100+ spots, can you guess his name?
Bernard Scott? Could actually be a pretty good fit on this offense. Not the pounder we need but if he's there in the late round he's a guy that might take moats place as Slaton's backup
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo. He will blow people away at the combine. KC will have a hard time not picking him if Curry is gone.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Michael Johnson. He will have scary numbers and teams will drool. See also Cushing and the guy who jumped out of the pool.
Jarron Gilbert. Classic 3-4 end if he can get under five flat.

Another vote for Micheal Johnson. I'm sure his numbers will be unreal. Freakishly unreal. Buyer beware. I'm hoping that's not who John McClain is hinting at for a drop back and draft RDE.

Beatty, the Uconn OLT gained fifteen pounds since the senior bowl week. He runs a good forty with a nice ten and twenty yard split, the kid will make himself some money. Saw where he didn't lift very well. Neither did Petigrew. I thought Petigrew would be in the upper twneties. Not stuggeling to hit twenty three.

Does anyone think it was a coincidence that a lot of the o-lineman came in at exactly 309 ?
Part of the problem with the combine now is all of these guys are getting coached up in combine 101
by the sports preformance gurus. Hard to find their blemishes to separate them.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #13
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Bernard Scott
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #14
was385
Rookie

Gotta plug my guy from UCONN here. Darius Butler. Coming off an injury during his senior season, he said he expects to run a high-4.2 or low-4.3 40 and jump in the mid-40's. He seems to be going in the third generally in most mocks but I think his stock could really skyrocket.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91623 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
Gotta plug my guy from UCONN here. Darius Butler. Coming off an injury during his senior season, he said he expects to run a high-4.2 or low-4.3 40 and jump in the mid-40's. He seems to be going in the third generally in most mocks but I think his stock could really skyrocket.
I have him as my #5 CB and #40 overall.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Quote:
John McClain:
I can't wait to see what Johnson measures and weighs. He's more of a RDE, and his stock has been on the decline, but he can raise it a lot in the combine, pro day and private workouts. He should be higher rated based on his skills. Teams will know a lot more about him after meeting with him during the combine.
I can't believe they're going to do this. No John. Looks like tarzan. Plays like Jane. I don't care what his numbers are.

Mayock's top twenty has Ayers at fourteen.Check that...Ayers at 12, Raji at 14.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I doubt it's because of the combine but I think Clay Matthews will sneak into the 20-35 pick range.
Clay Matthews? As in .... related to Clay and Bruce Matthews?

Jeez, I feel old.
Old 02-21-2009   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

I can't believe they're going to do this. No John. Looks like tarzan. Plays like Jane. I don't care what his numbers are.

Mayock's top twenty has Ayers at fourteen.Check that...Ayers at 12, Raji at 14.
I don't think that Johnson's numbers or play last year were as bad as people make them out to be.

Could his play have been better? Sure.

Was he terrible? No.

In addition, if my memory is correct he wasn't a starter until his senoir season, that makes me think he is still learning the position.

I believe that is also evidenced in his level of play.

Many have cited his quitting on plays as evidence of a lack of heart or desire or that he is a lazy player.

I believe it shows a lack of discipline and nothing else.

Discipline can and will be coached at the next level just as it was with Mario, for he had his on share of problems with discipline.

I'm talking strictly on-the-field here, Michael Johnson doesn't have any off-the-field discipline problems that I have ever heard about.

He is an intelligent high character player.
Old 02-21-2009   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109198 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Michael Johnson will jump up the board at let better players fall to us
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great numbers for Jared Cook.
4.5 40, 41" vertical, tops in vertical. Not bad a day for the TE

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read