Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2004   #1
AndreJ
All Pro

Default Texan's #1 Priority?

Im just curious as to what you all think is the texans #1 priority is.

IMO, i think it is our O-Line (the left side specifically), they are just not gettin it done as far as pass protection goes. It's a new system and all and i thnk the run blocking is starting to come along very nicely, but it could be alot better.
Old 12-13-2004   #2
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

The best offense is a good defense, and the best defense is a good offensive line.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #3
Herdof
Rookie

Offensive Line issues. Point blank.
Old 12-13-2004   #4
AndreJ
All Pro

Ok i think its been made pretty clear that our O-Line is the #1 prority for the texans,now how do yall think we should adress this issue beacause i have no idea.

Do you think we should get someone in the draft? Free Agency, New O-Line coach? Etc....
Old 12-13-2004   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we keep working on it with the people we have. Even as much as I'd like to see Steve McKinney get beaten out of a job by a center who can actually do the job I don't see anyone coming in here next season and pushing anyone to the bench. I'm not against drafting an offensive lineman if one merits whatever round he's taken in because you keep adding players. I just think that we're going to be seeing this line for another year at least. Wand and Pitts are young. So is Wade. McKinney is going to get a pass again because the coaches don't want to upset whatever chemistry he has with DC (Like what is a new center going to do? Let more guys through and fumble more snaps?) and Weigert is an asset. There's nothing wrong with the people we've got (mostly) that game experience in this system won't fix.

But yeah, somewhere in there I think it's possible the Texans take an o-lineman. I look for them to again focus on defense though early on. More work is what they need. If that fails then they need to examine which part of the learning process isn't getting it done. Are the players not learning or is the teacher not teaching?
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Do you think we should get someone in the draft? Free Agency, New O-Line coach? Etc....
Seth Wand needs to get stronger. Draft David Baas (C/G).

I wonder if the Texans would go after a guy like Alex Barron if he fell to us in the draft. At the rate we are losing games we might be that high.
Old 12-13-2004   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think we need a franchise LT...that's gotta be our number one need...walter jones is gonna be available and with shaun alexander and hasselback and jones all going to unrestricted FA...jones could be one they don't tag...if they don't tag him...we better make a huge jump for him...actually we better get him...he would improve this line by leaps and bounds...then we could focus our draft back to defense where it needs to be focused
Old 12-14-2004   #8
Dime
Hall of Fame

No... the draft this year is FULL of Offensive linemen. Our focus needs to be Defense this year.

Aaron has lost a step (still really good, but we need another impact player)
DT or DE is needed for Pass Rush. Seth and Gary are aging quickly too...
Babin are awesome and dunta are awesome, with Sharper and Wong, and Peek, we might need someone to come in for Foreman who keeps getting beat badly.

My judgement

1st, 2nd Need to be Defense, 3's need to be Offensive Lineman, 4 needs to be a Very fast WR (doesnt even have to be the best catcher, just a speed demon to open the field even more. 5-7 needs to be back to Defense for late blooms and maybe a steal.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think the O-line needs to be dealt with first, but I think the RB position is an issue. They say Wand needs to get stronger in the off-season. I don't know if he'll improve enough in that area, but I'd sure like to know. I'm starting to believe the argument that DD is just not a break-away threat. The TEAM does better when he either doesn't play or is out there on a day when we run less often. I think he's a very, very good 3rd down back. It's hard for me to believe that our offense is ranked so much better than our defense at times, but I don't see the need for replacements there. I think Payne will do better next year and that Foreman needs to be replaced by guys that we've already got, instead of drafting new ones. I'm all for Babin, Sharper, Wong, Peek from left to right.

Last edited by HJam72; 12-14-2004 at 02:53 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Their most glaring weaknesses are in the trenches, especially on defense. I understand that a 3-4 lineman's job is to keep the offensive linemen off of the linebackers, but it seems that they would make more tackles or register more sacks just by accident. Robaire is the best DL and he's barely in the top 50 statistically. We seldom see any kind of push or penetration from these guys. The offensive line just needs a complete overhaul. I'm amazed every week by how much time the opposing QB has to throw compared to Carr. Wade and Weigert are servicable, but a major change is needed at the other spots.

Most importantly, they need a coaching staff that can utilize the talent that they do have. This receiving corp is just as good as it was earlier in the year when everyone from ESPN to other team's coaches were praising it, but for some reason our coaches can't devise a game plan to get them the ball. Sure, Johnson is going to be doubled up at times, but remember how solid Gaffney was earlier in the year? Why is Armstrong not getting at least 3 to 4 balls thrown his way each game? The guy has made 2 of the biggest plays of the year for this team and he's not even activated because the coaches need more useless tight ends in the game? The game day decisions that these guys make never cease to amaze me. From personnel decisions to play calling to clock management... management of virtually every aspect of the game is suspect.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

O-line and NT. TE is close behind. NT and OLT are the only two positions of big need that would merit a 1st round pick. We could get a center with our 2nd or one of our 3rd's.

BTW, anyone else happy the Cowboys lost to New Orleans? It would be fantastic if they went 0-3 and gave us a high 3rd round pick.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #12
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

weigert is far from an asset this year at least.

o-line (center or guard) and d-line (if nothing else we'll find a potential back up n.t.) will be top priorities in the draft and free agency. we cannot hold the line of scimmage on either side of the ball.

-i also see a need for a big young cb to play in our nicklepackage (and perhaps to groom behind glenn).

-we need a young inside linebacker to develop behind foreman (and if a quality ilb falls our way high in the draft i'd love to see us snag him). probably a smaller type with coverage skills...

-bradford is leaving ,and if he isnt he should be. we have a need for another wr to take some of the pressure off aj.

-plenty of quality tightends comming out this year (2-3 rd talents). would be nice not to have to gamble on jop again.

-inevitably we will get whatever quality player we can find late in the draft that also happens to have a serious injury.

we will not draft anyone with character issues.

we will make at least 1 trade.

oh, and we'll draft a qb again. it fits c.c.'s m.o.
Old 12-17-2004   #13
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i Think a rookie, unless a stud will have a learning curve. once we get past the period where all the free agents are tagged and we have a clear landscape to whats available will we be able to decide.

As much as i'd like to spend a 1st round pick on a Tackle, its gonna be at least 1 full season before he is able to develop, a high quality free agent can produce instant dividends and that draft pick and be spent on the defense that needs to get younger fast.

Bolster the offense through free agency, we are just 1 or 2 offensive lineman away from being very dangerous. Defense can be drafted cause all our rookies from last year still have alot to prove. The front 7 needs help... Sharper, Robaire, and Babin are the only ones i'd promise a job next year, the rest should be looked at to have a replacement drafted and groomed.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see the Texans going LT with their #1 pick. And then going D. I could see them doing a number of things. But until we see how the FA period goes, its all speculation, and is subject to change.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless a guy blows them away I can't see them taking a LT in the first round. I think the team will continue to develop Wand. I can see us taking a tackle later though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #16
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter Jones should be a free agent this offseason. I dont see them using the tag on him again, so if they dont sign him to a long term deal, then he should be available.

Jones - Pitts - Mckinney - Weigert - Wade
Old 12-17-2004   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, I doubt they do anything at LT other than a second day pick for issurance.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #18
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Unless a guy blows them away I can't see them taking a LT in the first round. I think the team will continue to develop Wand. I can see us taking a tackle later though.
I kind of agree with this. But I dont know if the front office can hold back from taking their #1 tackle if he is still on the board. Just like I dont think they would have passed on Gallery, had he been still on the board.
Old 12-17-2004   #19
AndreJ
All Pro

Yeah i don't see us adressing the O-Line issue from the draft we have to pick up someone in FA. We can still draft a Tackle in the later round (3rd maybe 2nd), but like it has been previously said, it will take him a year to develop.
Old 12-17-2004   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wand will be our guy.. or at least will get another season to show if he CAN be our guy. He has done well.. his weakness seems to be speed.. and that can be improved with technique. He has gotten alot of experience this season, now he will have an offseason to build on it and turn it into production on the field. If he isnt looking better next season, then we may consider a first round LT next year I would think.

We HAVE a good oline.. Wand is the weakest link right now but it is also his first real season.. so you gotta give him time. You gotta give the whole line time really. But the talent is there. Maybe zone blocking just isnt the answer? we have a huge oline.. and that doesnt seem to be part of the recipe for successful zone blocking.

if you look at the denver Oline.. they are ALOT smaller than our guys.

I see us trying to trade up for Derrick Johnson in the first. if that isnt possible then I see us looking at Rodrique Wright.. and if THAT doesnt work out.. then i see us looking at Anttaj Hawthorne and Ronnie Brown.

in the second, if he is available I could see us considering David Baas, but like I said.. Oline isnt as big an issue as people make it out to be right now. Ive heard that Ciatrick Fason the RB is a possibility as well. But he is DDs size.. and I dunno that we would want to risk drafting another small RB.

Honestly.. no one in the second round sticks out to me as someone we would REALLY want.. which makes me beleive that trading up for Derrick Johnson is a big possibility. unless Marcus Spears fell to us... that would be a nice second round pickup.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read