Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-19-2009   #1
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Asomugha gets extension!

The Raiders just signed him to a 6 year deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Asomugha gets extension!

Belongs in the NFL section, where there is already a thread about this.

Mergine in 3...2...
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's not the contract I've seen.
Quote:
...the Oakland Raiders have agreed to terms with CB Nnamdi Asomugha on a three-year deal worth $45.3 million. The contract includes $28.5 million in guaranteed money and the entire contract can be guaranteed if the team decides to keep him for the third season, according to a source. The contract makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=554591
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

That is what ESPN also reports: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919067

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Incredible.

The raiders are going to be in Cap hell in 3...2...1...

All signed in 2008/09 (within 12 months of each other):
Tommy Kelly- $18 million guaranteed
Javon Walker- $16 million guaranteed
Deangelo Hall- $24.5 million guaranteed
McFadden- $26 million guaranteed
Asomugha- $28.6 million guaranteed
Lechler- $9 million guaranteed
Fargas- $6 million guaranteed

Throw in Russell's contract from Sept. 2007 at $32 million guaranteed

Well dang...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Apparently SI is just a bunch of retards running around then.

2 sources say 3 year deal and SI says 6 year. I think I'll believe the majority.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read two different sites that have the 3rd year option messed up. I think rotoworld and nfl? Can't remember.

One said average of top 5 cornerbacks or the $16M, whichever is greater. The other had quarterbacks bolded and italicized as to point out it wasn't a typo. Pretty interesting.

I like that the details were out to the public so fast. It's kind of a complicated deal but at the same time its fairly straightforward or easy to follow. At least how it's being reported.

I remember during the Schaub trade they had the trade as only a 2nd round pick for a while. I was ecstatic. It wasn't until that evening or the next morning that we found out it was the two 2nds.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So does this increase DRobs franchise tender at all? Since he is getting paid so much this season?
Old 02-19-2009   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

2 sources say 3 year deal and SI says 6 year. I think I'll believe the majority.
They always have been. I haven't bothered with them since a certain NBA team won a couple of Championship's in the mid-90's.
Old 02-19-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
So does this increase DRobs franchise tender at all? Since he is getting paid so much this season?
No, that's the great thing about the "non-exclusive" tag. It's based on the previous year's salary. The "exclusive" tag would be based on the current year.
Old 02-19-2009   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

Actually it is a 3 year deal that if certain areas are met it turns into a 6 year deal. So it is both.
Old 02-19-2009   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I think it actually reads as a 2-year deal. Oakland has the option of a 3rd if they're willing to pay up more. Oakland is only on the hook for 2 years though.
Old 02-19-2009   #13
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Of all the b.s. contracts the Raiders have handed out over the years, this one makes the most sense. If Asomugha has Andre Johnson's approval, the guy is worth the money.
Old 02-20-2009   #14
cc_me
Veteran

Rep Power: 52 cc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respectedcc_me is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Of all the b.s. contracts the Raiders have handed out over the years, this one makes the most sense. If Asomugha has Andre Johnson's approval, the guy is worth the money.
That's a lot of $$$$$$$ but I like it!!
Old 02-20-2009   #15
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_me View Post
That's a lot of $$$$$$$ but I like it!!
DAMN YOU WE WANTED HIM

Old 02-20-2009   #16
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, but it does raise the market price on corners, as it helps the players in contract negotiations.....
Old 02-20-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a negotiating point it is arguable. As a practical matter, no. The non-exclusive tag set on Dunta gets the average of the top 5 from the immediately past NFL year. The exclusive tag gets the average of the top 5 at the position from the coming season. So if the Texans had exclusive tagged Dunta, Asomugha's deal absolutely would have raised the cost.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read