Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-09-2009   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dunta Robinson could get the franchise tag this week.

Quote:
Texans fans have heard little recently about negotiations with Dunta Robinson.

That could mean they're tirelessly working a deal and are close to announcing a long term extension before the 19th - or it could mean they are miles apart and nothing is moving, which could mean a franchise tag is in Dunta's future.
Quote:
As far as Dunta, we've covered this before, but if I had to guess what's been going on, and what will happen sometime in the next 11 days this is it:

* Dunta and his agent want something close to Chris Gamble money, which was $23 million guaranteed.
* The Texans have an offer on the table between $17 and $20 million guaranteed.
* Dunta and his agent will not accept the Texans offer
* The Texans will use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dunta which will guarantee him $9.96 million for one season, if he signs the tender

I can't see the Texans letting Dunta walk without any compensation. That's why the tag is the only option if they remain far apart in their negotiations next Thursday. Without a tag, the Texans lose what leverage they have with the player after the 19th.

The franchise tag will make Dunta unhappy in the context that he's not getting the long term guarantee (or the money) that he wants, but it will protect the Texans by giving them first right of refusal on offers made by other teams, allow them to continue to negotiate a long term deal with Robinson, and keep potential suitors away from Dunta because of the compensation involved (two first round draft picks).

The Texans have never tagged a player before but if it ever made sense to use the tag on a player, this is the one. The tag pays Robinson handsomely for one season - although it's less than half of what he most likely wants. But it gives the Texans another year to see how Dunta performs on his surgically repaired knee that still felt 'funny' at times (Dunta's words) after he returned to action last season.

I would expect to start seeing news of more franchise tenders being offered to players this week.

Stay tuned
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...tags-this-week
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta Robinson could get the franchise tag this week.

I don't really think Dunta and his agent have all that much leverage with the current situation. I would be a fan of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

No team will pay that much for him AND give up two 1st round draft picks. Gives us more time to negotiate a long-term deal too which would void the tag.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our defense is better with Dunta in there, which makes our whole team better. But in the current light of our economy, I am sickened by these millions paid to sports figures. I quit watching baseball a long time ago because of this crap, I hope that doesn't happen to me with football.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think our defense is better with Dunta in there, which makes our whole team better. But in the current light of our economy, I am sickened by these millions paid to sports figures. I quit watching baseball a long time ago because of this crap, I hope that doesn't happen to me with football.
well, as long as contracts aren't guaranteed, at least the players will be giving effort in the NFL, unlike MLB and NBA.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #5
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I have zero problems with football player contracts they put their bodies on the line and are the best at what they do.

IMO with non-guaranteed contracts it's hard to complain

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #6
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Gives us more time to negotiate a long-term deal too which would void the tag.

That's really the only reason they would be putting the tag on him. It's always possible that they can't work out a deal and he play's with the Tag. It's better for the Salary Cap if they work out a long term deal. Hopefully a deal gets done. DR has value on the field and the locker room with the Texans.
Old 02-09-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, of course we're not going to let him walk without compensation. I don't think anyone who knows anything about the NFL thinks otherwise. It's always been either overpay a little bit, or franchise tag him. Did anyone think otherwise?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2009   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Well, of course we're not going to let him walk without compensation. I don't think anyone who knows anything about the NFL thinks otherwise. It's always been either overpay a little bit, or franchise tag him. Did anyone think otherwise?
Would you rather pay Dunta top 5 CB money or have him walk away for nothing?

I think that burdening our cap with a bloated salary for Dunta is long term a bigger issue than letting him walk away for nothing.

Put me in the "Hope Dunta resigns for a Top 20ish level contract or let him go" camp. (Even then I think we are over paying him as a CB, but I will pay him for his leadership and toughness qualities)
Old 02-09-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

I think that burdening our cap with a bloated salary for Dunta is long term a bigger issue than letting him walk away for nothing.

Put me in the "Hope Dunta resigns for a Top 20ish level contract or let him go" camp. (Even then I think we are over paying him as a CB, but I will pay him for his leadership and toughness qualities)
Don't forget that if we dont' tag him and he signs a big deal somewhere else, we'll probably get a 3rd or 4th in compensation from the NFL
Old 02-09-2009   #10
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I say franchise him and if we can't come to an agreement we can work out a trade instead of getting two 1st round picks maybe we take a 1st & 3rd rounder in aprils draft and get his replacement at a cheap price. Dunta is a really good player but he isn't worth that kind of coin plus we don't know how his knee will hold up long term wise.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I say franchise him and if we can't come to an agreement we can work out a trade instead of getting two 1st round picks maybe we take a 1st & 3rd rounder in aprils draft and get his replacement at a cheap price. Dunta is a really good player but he isn't worth that kind of coin plus we don't know how his knee will hold up long term wise.
And you expect a team to give up a 1st and 3rd for him?
Old 02-09-2009   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Well if it was limited to only those two choices? I'd let him walk - but we have the franchise tag. If you're asking if I'd rather let him walk or pay him top 5 money for one year via the franchise tag - that's easy. Franchise tag.

Let's not forget that if he DOES get back to 100%, he could be entering the prime of his career. He was playing at a pro bowl level before the injury, and if he's about to do that for say 3 or 4 years, you have to pay for it. You know he's not going to get lazy after his big contract. He works his tail off. I'd rather pay a LITTLE too much for him than go with an unproven commodity who you never know if they'll gel with the team, etc.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-10-2009   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If some team wanted DR & we couldn't work out a deal with him I would ask for a 1st rd pick. If we got the 1st rd pick we could trade our 1st rd pick for Peppers & use Detroit's (for example) pick no.21 that we aquired for DR to pick a DB like DJ Moore.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

No way Dunta is worth what he is asking. Even pre-injury that would be almost laughable

Good player, but not top 5 or 20
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't understand this, "he was playing at a pro-bowl level before the injury" stuff. I think he was playing at an NFL starter level, but not pro-bowl level. I don't think he's ever been a pro-bowl corner. His coverage skills are very poor. He's our best tackler....... he use to hit like a Mack Truck, and he shut down the outside edge for any running back in the game......

That spells strong safety to me.

But, IMHO, if the Texans are close to giving him $20 million gauranteed, if that's what they think he is worth, I can't see them not closing the deal on $23 million.

If they are still at a stale mate, the Texans have got to be closer to $17 million.
Old 02-10-2009   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if he signs for top 5 CB money I really don't see what the big deal is. The salary cap is so large now that unless you really go overboard in FA its not as big a deal as it once was. In a couple years his contract will look better than the day after he signs it. Its not like we are the type of team that desperately needs all that cap space to go after some big name guy, we have been building through the draft fairly effectively the last few years. I would hate to see us lose young talent like that without any compensation, especially at a position of such value and need. Bottom line is I'd much rather spend the money on Dunta than one or two similarly over-priced free agents.
Old 02-10-2009   #17
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

One positive is that if Dunta does leave, you would expect the Texans to receive about a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick if they don't go out and sign someone significant. The Texans always seem to replace everybody they let go and never take advantage of the compensatory system.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Hes not worth 23 mill hes not that good plzzz if i know the texans they dont throw money around and there smart if they do this one year and wait and see deal
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't understand this, "he was playing at a pro-bowl level before the injury" stuff. I think he was playing at an NFL starter level, but not pro-bowl level. I don't think he's ever been a pro-bowl corner. His coverage skills are very poor. He's our best tackler....... he use to hit like a Mack Truck, and he shut down the outside edge for any running back in the game......

That spells strong safety to me.

But, IMHO, if the Texans are close to giving him $20 million gauranteed, if that's what they think he is worth, I can't see them not closing the deal on $23 million.

If they are still at a stale mate, the Texans have got to be closer to $17 million.
Maybe my memory is fuzzy - but I remember him playing extremely well before he got hurt. I really thought he was entering his prime.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-10-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Don't forget that if we dont' tag him and he signs a big deal somewhere else, we'll probably get a 3rd or 4th in compensation from the NFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
One positive is that if Dunta does leave, you would expect the Texans to receive about a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick if they don't go out and sign someone significant. The Texans always seem to replace everybody they let go and never take advantage of the compensatory system.
This.

We've never let anyone of significance go before. Maybe its time to rip off the bandaid.

I like Dunta for his leadership and tough mentality more than anything. But I don't want us to spend top 5 money on him. People are being shortsighted if they think thats all it will amount to. Every other player on our roster will get the idea that all you have to do is threaten free agency in order to get a big payday. I would be pissed if I was a like AJ who has led the team offensively and made numerous probowls, yet was making less than a guy like DRob

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read