Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2009   #1
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default 1st & 10... Haynesworth to Texans?

just saw on 1st and 10 that Fat Albert wont be signing with the Titans. The Texans were mentioned as one of the teams in persuit. This was said by a Tennessee sports writer so I think its a lot more smoke than fire but it was fairly shocking to hear non-the-less.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st & 10... Haynesworth to Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedJeff View Post
just saw on 1st and 10 that Fat Albert wont be signing with the Titans. The Texans were mentioned as one of the teams in persuit. This was said by a Tennessee sports writer so I think its a lot more smoke than fire but it was fairly shocking to hear non-the-less.
Oh yeah! It all falls down for Tennessee too. Matt Schaub is petitioning for him right now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedJeff View Post
I don't think teams are allowed to persue FA's yet.

I call bull butter.
Old 02-19-2009   #4
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I call bull butter.
he could of said the Texans are one of the Teams with interest... I was only paying half attention. I was mainly reading Matt Bowen's combine tales. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-tales-part-i/

The fact remains that I heard the Texans mentioned as 1 of 2 teams that can land Al. Still probablly a bunch of BS but it still grabed my attention, especially with how much I heard that it wont EVER happen.
Old 02-19-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised to hear alot of FAs call us out. We are 40 something million under the cap!!!

The good news is you can assume that a good FA class will be coming to The Texans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I call bull butter.
I am thinking he is using it as a bargaining chip.. Tennessee would not like to see him in AFC south.

I think we would feel the same thing if Mario was needing a new contract and Tennessee's name came up (or any AFC south foe). As fans we would be screaming at McNair to get him signed
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I call bull butter.

Its true you cant pursue free agents yet but Fat Albert has announced he will be testing the FA market.

Fat Albert has the potential to be the owrst FA signing in years! Up until his contract year two years ago he was condidered an under achiever who was constantly slowed by nagging injuries. His first contract year he had a breakout season which lead the Tacks to franchise his since even they were hesitant to lock the guy up long term on one year. I hate the Tacks but Fisher and Company are smart about the business of football. So last year was his second FA contract year and he played great when healthy but still missed games at the end of the year do to leg problems. Now Fat Albert wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football? I think it says alot that Fisher and Co. rather than break the bank for Albert are going to risk losing him by letting him test the FA market. I know people question whether once he has his huge contract if he will be the same player he has been for the last two years or revert back to the old under achiever. Not onlythat he is constantly doing stupid crap off the field. He is currently in trouble for speeding down the highway in TN at over 100 MPH and causing a wreck in which someone was injured. No the kind of thing most teams want out of their highest paid player.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2009   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't lie, he's an asshat but I'd love to see him lined up next to Amobi. Just getting him out of the AFC South would be an upgrade.

The odds of him coming here are pretty low though, I think.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm one of those in the camp that while Haynesworth won't be a total bust as a FA signing, he won't be the guy from the last two years, and as such, will not be worth the huge money that he's gonna be getting.

I also think that the Titans have a ceiling on what he's worth, and he could well go above that. If I had to guess where he's at in '09, that guess would be Tampa.
Old 02-19-2009   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I cant stand the sucker.

IF we ever sign him I hope it is a 1-year signing, it seems as if he plays better when his contract is running out. Consecutive 1-year deals
Old 02-19-2009   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I won't lie, he's an asshat but I'd love to see him lined up next to Amobi. Just getting him out of the AFC South would be an upgrade.

The odds of him coming here are pretty low though, I think.
qft
Old 02-19-2009   #12
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Now Fat Albert wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football? I think it says alot that Fisher and Co. rather than break the bank for Albert are going to risk losing him by letting him test the FA market.
I'm not sure where I stand with Fat Al. I dont think he's worth being the highest paid player but he is a beast and he does have a lot of pride. I'm sure he wont be a bust no matter where he lands. I believe the Titans drafted a D Tackle in either round 1 or 2 of last years draft so they have some wiggle room if he leaves.
Old 02-19-2009   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as he leaves the AFC South then I am happy.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #14
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
As long as he leaves the AFC South then I am happy.
If we want our stars to stay, we need to show them that we want to win by at least attempting to sign someone like Al.

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #15
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Will he be bringing, Bill, Russell, Dumb Donald, Mush Mouth, Bucky and Weird Harold with him?

Haynesworth: Hey hey hey!....It's Faaaat Albert (Haynesworth)! And I'm gonna sing a song for you...(wicked baseline) And (Texan)Bill's gonna show you a thing or two. (more of our wicked baseline) You'll have some fun now...with me and all the gang...learning from each other...while we do our thing!

All: Na...na...na...gonna have a good time!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
If we want our stars to stay, we need to show them that we want to win by at least attempting to sign someone like Al.
So far he has only performed in contract years. He has been dominant yes, but I wonder how he will play once he has all that guaranteed money in his pocket. He has only had 2 pro bowl seasons in his entire career so it's not like he has been a beast since day 1.

I would rather we pass on him and he goes to another division, but if resigning with the Titans becomes his top priority I say we go for him so that they don't get him back.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-19-2009   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
So far he has only performed in contract years. He has been dominant yes, but I wonder how he will play once he has all that guaranteed money in his pocket. He has only had 2 pro bowl seasons in his entire career so it's not like he has been a beast since day 1.

I would rather we pass on him and he goes to another division, but if resigning with the Titans becomes his top priority I say we go for him so that they don't get him back.
He would bring a nastiness to the D that I think would fit well. We have fine, hard working, upstanding human beings on this team, I want a little dirt to add to the water.

OK, over the top, but I hope the point was made.
Old 02-19-2009   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
He would bring a nastiness to the D that I think would fit well. We have fine, hard working, upstanding human beings on this team, I want a little dirt to add to the water.

OK, over the top, but I hope the point was made.
Yes the point was made and I agree with you somewhat. I'm just one of those guys who is hesitant about free agency. You never know what you're going to get with some of these "contract year" players.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-19-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If he came here, he'd stink it up.

He's a guy who plays hard only when it counts. Once he gets that new contract, he won't be the same.

Then what? He becomes a divisive little turd who causes dissention and is a distraction for everyone on the team.

Let the guy move on to Tampa or some other non-AFC South team...that's easily an instant "win-win" for us: First win is that we don't pay for him, and 2nd win is that he's off our schedule as a divisional foe.

But I hesitate to pay him what he wants AND to wait and see which player we get for that huge payday.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, humor me a little.

When have we EVER signed a big money free agent that worked out. That a year later did nothing but be big drain on the cap, and end up being released two years down the road with nothing but a lot of dead money to show for it?

Count me in the "Don't touch these big money free agents with a ten foot pole" group.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read