Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-19-2009   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derrick Ward mentions Texans (signs with Tampa 3/2)

(Rotoworld) Appearing on the Jim Rome Show Wednesday, free agent Derrick Ward mentioned the Browns, Texans, and Cardinals as potential landing spots.
Analysis: Ward offers rare three-down ability, fresh legs, and is coming off a season in which he averaged 5.6 YPC. He talked about playing with Steve Slaton and would be a clear upgrade over Jamal Lewis or Edgerrin James. All three clubs have enough cap room to meet Ward's $4M-per-year asking price.

rotoworld.com

Edit: Here is the link to the segment. and you do have wait for the end for the mention.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3917046
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derrick Ward mentions Texans

Whether he signs with us or not, this is a great indicator of where our plucky little Texans are heading.

Respectability, baby! We are out of the hinterlands. Good free agents now want to play for the Houston Texans.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Whether he signs with us or not, this is a great indicator of where our plucky little Texans are heading.

Respectability, baby! We are out of the hinterlands. Good free agents now want to play for the Houston Texans.
If the Cardinals and Browns are the company of "respectability" then I want no part of it.

So far as Ward goes, does anyone know how he is at the goal line? I know he has great hands, but we need someone who's effective in short yardage situations, in addition to having the ability to handle ~20 carries in case of an injury to Slaton.

$4M is a bit hefty, but if he can be effective then he might be worth it.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If the Cardinals and Browns are the company of "respectability" then I want no part of it.

So far as Ward goes, does anyone know how he is at the goal line? I know he has great hands, but we need someone who's effective in short yardage situations, in addition to having the ability to handle ~20 carries in case of an injury to Slaton.

I was thinking the same thing.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not about the Browns, guys. It's about Derrick Ward wanting to play for the Texans.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh I'm sure the 40 something mil under the cap that we have helps out alot too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So far I remember Jacobs being in the goal line situations most. But really Steve has shown some skills at the 1yd line. A good amount of his TDs came from the goal line. The problem is we don't usually get to the one. Our offense either turns over the ball inside the 20 or scores from outside the 20.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2009   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, I will believe it when i see good free agents playing for us as opposed to simply saying it. Remember when Orlando Pace claimed he wanted to play for us and in reality it was a ploy to get more $ out of St. Louis? Yeah, how do we know that is not happening now?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #9
Polo

He could have said the Lions, Seahawks and San Fran...
Old 02-19-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You want no part of the SB?The Cards did. I know rare, but most would take the appearance.

It really is the fact that a FA mentions here when in the past it may have been great facilities, etc but also a wasteland of a team.
Old 02-19-2009   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So far I remember Jacobs being in the goal line situations most. But really Steve has shown some skills at the 1yd line. A good amount of his TDs came from the goal line. The problem is we don't usually get to the one. Our offense either turns over the ball inside the 20 or scores from outside the 20.
We had some troubles in short yardage situations, especially against teams with bigger fronts. I remember one time where we were stuffed 3 times in a row at the goal line.

I guess it's hard to gauge how Ward is in short yardage given who he was behind.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Well, I will believe it when i see good free agents playing for us as opposed to simply saying it. Remember when Orlando Pace claimed he wanted to play for us and in reality it was a ploy to get more $ out of St. Louis? Yeah, how do we know that is not happening now?
What we don't know is that Pace played us. That is just fan speculation. The Rams matched the offer we made. I would suspect many players would choose to stay with the team that drafted them and where they had friends on the team and were established in the community.
Old 02-19-2009   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What we don't know is that Pace played us. That is just fan speculation. The Rams matched the offer we made. I would suspect many players would choose to stay with the team that drafted them and where they had friends on the team and were established in the community.
I expect Dunta to do the same thing. Shop himself, then re-sign with the Texans.
Old 02-19-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Hey it came from Ward's mouth. I think the keywords in that whole report is that all 3 teams have enough room to fit his asking price. I would assume that he is someone we would like but will not break the bank for, especially when the draft if very deep at RB.
Old 02-19-2009   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

$4 million is way to high a price to sign a change of pace back. I don't care how much cap room we have we cannot go throwing the checkbook around. That stuff catches up with you eventually. He will not be a starting RB so I would sign him to half that, but no chance @ $4 mil.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #16
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to have D. Ward. He wears # 34 too, he would have to talk to Barber about that number though. It would be nice to see a 34 in the backfield. If we could get it done, that would be niiiiiice.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Hey it came from Ward's mouth. I think the keywords in that whole report is that all 3 teams have enough room to fit his asking price. I would assume that he is someone we would like but will not break the bank for, especially when the draft if very deep at RB.
That's the thing that works against us: Kubiak likes to draft RBs. If he doesn't draft them, he signs broken-down RBs like Ahman Green and Chris Brown...we'd have nothing to do with a young, proven free-agent RB.

I stand by my claim that Kubiak has this deal of wanting to find the diamond-in-the-rough RB that nobody could've imagined would be so awesome. He evidently thought that he could resurrect Chris Brown's career, too, and that would have been a huge story in the NFL that would've made Kubiak look like a genius. Other teams do this crap, too, such as thinking they can rehabilitate David Carr somehow.

If Derrick Ward lists us a possible landing spot, and based on what he has done last season when Jacobs was out for a long time, I would say we should sign the guy. $4 million a year? Give him $5 million if that's what it takes. RBs are hit and miss. Derrick Ward has skills.

I don't care what he can do near the goal line, at least not as much as caring about all the other stuff he can do between the goal lines. In short: If Steve Slaton goes down, like Jacobs did last year, we need a SUITABLE running back like Ward (not a "project" guy who "might" do well).

Arizona and Cleveland are two teams that stand a great chance at getting into a bidding war for him, though: Cards know they need to settle that position, as do the Browns.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That's the thing that works against us: Kubiak likes to draft RBs. If he doesn't draft them, he signs broken-down RBs like Ahman Green and Chris Brown...we'd have nothing to do with a young, proven free-agent RB.

I stand by my claim that Kubiak has this deal of wanting to find the diamond-in-the-rough RB that nobody could've imagined would be so awesome. He evidently thought that he could resurrect Chris Brown's career, too, and that would have been a huge story in the NFL that would've made Kubiak look like a genius. Other teams do this crap, too, such as thinking they can rehabilitate David Carr somehow.

If Derrick Ward lists us a possible landing spot, and based on what he has done last season when Jacobs was out for a long time, I would say we should sign the guy. $4 million a year? Give him $5 million if that's what it takes. RBs are hit and miss. Derrick Ward has skills.

I don't care what he can do near the goal line, at least not as much as caring about all the other stuff he can do between the goal lines. In short: If Steve Slaton goes down, like Jacobs did last year, we need a SUITABLE running back like Ward (not a "project" guy who "might" do well).

Arizona and Cleveland are two teams that stand a great chance at getting into a bidding war for him, though: Cards know they need to settle that position, as do the Browns.
I agree. Plus he makes big time plays and the more play makers we get on offense the less our offense is off the field.
Old 02-19-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I expect Dunta to do the same thing. Shop himself, then re-sign with the Texans.
Mmkay......maybe not.
Old 02-19-2009   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not about the Browns, guys. It's about Derrick Ward mentioning teams that have money under the salary cap that I can pit against each other and hopefully get a larger contract.
I fixed it for you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read