Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain:Best No 1 picks in Houston history

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/02/h...best_no_1.html
Quote:
After your amazing response to my top-10 list of the greatest quarterbacks in history, including leaving Brett Favre out, I've been thinking about other possible lists that might interest you. I think I have one.
Quote:
• Billy Cannon, RB, 1960
• George Webster, OLB, 1967
• Dan Pastorini, QB, 1971
• Robert Brazile, OLB, 1975
• Earl Campbell, RB, 1978
• Mike Munchak, G, 1982
• Bruce Matthews, G, 1983
• Ray Childress, DE, 1985
• Haywood Jeffires, WR, 1987
• Lamar Lathon, LB, 1990
• Steve McNair, QB, 1995
• Eddie George, RB, 1996
• Andre Johnson, WR, 2003
• Dunta Robinson, CB, 2004
• Mario Williams, DE, 2006
you can vote on it

Earl is a no brainer
Bruce Mathews
Robert Brazile
Andre Johnson
it is jumbled for me now

I have a hard time where to put Mario, he just hasn't had the longevity yet

and wow on how some could not put Earl at number 1(could be they never saw him play)

Last edited by Wolf; 02-19-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF
Default Re: McClain:Best No 1 picks in Houston history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

you can vote on it

Earl is a no brainer
Bruce Mathews
Robert Brazile
Andre Johnson
it is jumbled for me now

and wow on how some could not put Earl at number 1(could be they never saw him play)

amen to that!
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

DAMN!! Old age just hit me right up side the head!!I remember every one of those players!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember them too. Any poll about Houston football that doesn't have Earl #1 is plain dumb.

Did anyone else know that Mike Ditka and Jim Everett (former L.A. Ram QB) were also #1 picks of the Oilers?

Last edited by El Tejano; 02-19-2009 at 07:54 AM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
DAMN!! Old age just hit me right up side the head!!I remember every one of those players!!
LOL, that's what I was thinking.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Ditto.

WTF MAROONS!?!?!?! HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE EARL #1?
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

The only players on the list I don't remember are Webster and Cannon.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2009   #8
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on guys...look at the list, it's in order by draft year, so Earl isn't going to be #1.

The thing here is I find it particularly funny that the "Oiler History" stayed with Satan, but and I use the term very loosely, professionals include former Oiler #1 picks to include in lists for "Houston". I will forever include the Oilers in "Houston" history, but I'm a fan, not a "reporter".
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Come on guys...look at the list, it's in order by draft year, so Earl isn't going to be #1.

The thing here is I find it particularly funny that the "Oiler History" stayed with Satan, but and I use the term very loosely, professionals include former Oiler #1 picks to include in lists for "Houston". I will forever include the Oilers in "Houston" history, but I'm a fan, not a "reporter".
check out the comments of some of the fans from the link

I don't even want to imagine if earl was about 10 years later, with steinkuhler,munchack,mathews blocking for him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

you can vote on it

Earl is a no brainer
Bruce Mathews
Robert Brazile
Andre Johnson
it is jumbled for me now

If Mario and AJ keep up what thet're doing, they could pass Earl up eventually. They are good.
Old 02-19-2009   #11
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

you can vote on it

Earl is a no brainer
Bruce Mathews
Robert Brazile
Andre Johnson
it is jumbled for me now

If we're just talking about the time spent in Houston I dont think Eddie George should be on the list. Lorenzo White had a very productive 2 seasons. Eddie was good here but he was a rookie and still getting in the groove.

I misread the thread title. #1 pick thing.... ohwell... either way I'd take Lorenzo's houston years over Eddie's.

Last edited by InterestedJeff; 02-19-2009 at 11:15 AM.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read