Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-28-2005   #21
Wild Bill
Rookie

Alright, now that I think about it, I can't really remember any plays in running situations that Peek missed his assignment, oh, wait a second, that's because they wouldn't put him on the field in running situations. Now I remember. And I do recall Peek getting pancaked on a couple of plays around the corner. And I also seem to remember hearing, with my own two ears, on Sports Radio 610, Dom Capers saying that while has great pass rushing ability, he's a liability. He hasn't learned the system and is weak against the run, per Dom Capers, his Coach. HE'S STILL DEVELOPING.

I'm not down on the guy. I like Peek and think he has a lot of potential, but he's not there yet. I hope he turns into the next great linebacker of the NFL.

Now, before you start challenging the knowledge of others in here and accuse them of only saying what other people have told them, you should know that some of us have been following this sport since before we were teenagers and know how to properly assess players from what we see on the field, or don't see.

We're all sensitive to the fact that you have some kind of love affair thing going on with Peek and have made him into your hero, but that doesn't mean that he is immune from some constructive criticism. We all would like to see him succeed and stay in Houston a very long time as a Pro Bowl caliber player.
Old 01-28-2005   #22
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

How many pass rush moves does Peek have? Because when I saw the last game they showed up here, it looked like all he was doing was running around the tackle.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #23
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Maybe he hasnt completely developed, but i do believe he started two games and played almost every snap because they ran the nickle during the whole game. I believe we won both of those games, and he did play the run very well. So I would have to say that my love affair is based in reality and some truth. Pancakes happen, how many times have you seen babin laying on the ground whether it was a pancake or him just falling. And actually I do remember the pancakes, and i believe that by him taking up the tackle, whether good or bad, it left no lead blocker for the RB adn Sharper made the plays with little or no gain. Im not an ***** i know the job is to contain when coming from the outside but if you can stretch the play out horizontally for an extra second, then that gives the ILBs time to get there. I assume capers knows more than me, but from what is seen IN GAMES he did not screw anything up. And to address his moves, yes peek usually does do a speed rush, but he does use the occasional spin move after it is set up by the speed rush. And his moves work. he is not going to be bull rushing a 330 pound Tackle, thats the job of the dline, and if they could actually get any push at all taht would move the QB back a step and right into peek coming around the edge.
Peek was still learning the system at the beginning of the year, but once he was given some chances he made things happen, he learned how to play. While my views on his play are somewhat biased, how can you argue against someone that has the talent to play and make things happen almost every time he is in? And if i remember correctly, the ROLB usually is used for Pass Rush, similar to Joey Porter and Suggs, while the LOLB is used more for run stopping and coverages. So I think the guy is ok at his position and should be starting this season
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I was going to take him in our mock. I traded down when the Cowboys took him. He is a total freak. He has the potential to be Jevon Kearse-like as an edge rusher. He will not last long in the first round.
I just went back & read this (I was looking for information about Merriman) since I haven't seen him play, anybody who has can you supply more information about him? would be much appreciated

We could see the Texans taking a defensive playmaker off the board with their own 1st pick, OLB or CB seem to be the most skilled logical available @ #13. I would also like the Texans to trade up again into a late 1st round spot to select Baas, your right Vinny seems like a good fit, but only give up a 2nd & one 3rd, maybe throw in another late pick if needed.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL Draft Showcase:

Quote:
He is explosive off the snap of the ball and beats offensive tackles with his speed. He does a good job of using his hands to fight blocks and has a good variety of moves to get the quarterback. He will sometimes come too far upfield and takes himself out of those plays. In pursuit, Merriman shines. He has a great motor and has the speed to chase down plays from behind and is capable of tracking ballcarriers down the field. Merriman has some experience in space and dropping into coverage which would benefit him should he transition to linebacker. Teams who play a 3-4 are likely to jump on him early.
NFL Draft Countdown:

Quote:
Strengths: Excellent athletic ability and has a 41-inch vertical leap...Very fast...Productive...Has great strength...A terror rushing the passer off the edge...Versatile and could play either LB or DE in the pros...Has experience dropping into coverage...Still has a huge upside.
Weaknesses: Undersized and is a DE / OLB 'tweener without a true position at this point...Raw and will need to be developed and work on his technique...Gets by on sheer athleticism more than anything...May need to be in the right scheme to succeed...Will be a gamble on greatness.
Sounds a lot like a higher draft ranked Peek :

Quote:
Positives: Well-proportioned athlete with superb upper-body tone Has excellent initial quickness and playing speed coming off the edge Possesses cat-like moves, exceptional balance and coordination and fluid change-of-direction agility to consistently defeat blockers coming off the snap Uses his overall power effectively when shedding, keeping his hands active to protect blockers from his legs Delivers a strong shock and jolt with his arms upon contact Fine perimeter chaser, showing the acceleration ability to catch ball carriers down the sidelines Displays the hip snap needed to sharply turn out of his backpedal Sinks his hips and stays flat-footed bursting through the pile, keeping his motor running in pursuit of the quarterback on the blitz Can punch and extend to control the tight ends in the short area Good at avoiding and clearing out blocks to get to the ball Flashes hands quickly and has a few inside moves when shooting the gaps Has above-average arm-under and spin moves Shows the proper knee bend needed to close quickly Special teams standout whose leaping ability allows him to get to several kicks.

Negatives: Lacks the size and bulk to be a down lineman at the pro level, as he has trouble shedding against larger blockers, dictating a move to linebacker Tough, but not stout at the point of attack Needs to show a better feel for zone pass defense Hard tackler, but needs body control upon arrival, as he does tend to overpursue Will get caught "in the wash" some when trying to contain the inside run Does not do a good job of reading plays, relying more on instinct.
Link
Old 01-28-2005   #26
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Exactly, his abilities are a mirror image of Peek. We dont need another peek because the texans already have one. There would be no point in drafting an OLB with a first pick because it is a position where this team actually has some depth. How about ILB where there isnt any
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
Exactly, his abilities are a mirror image of Peek. We dont need another peek because the texans already have one. There would be no point in drafting an OLB with a first pick because it is a position where this team actually has some depth. How about ILB where there isnt any
just what I was thinking, sounds like he could fit next to Sharper @ ILB. would like to see a pair of bookends @ OLB. Babin + D. Cody (no longer celler dewellers in league sack totals in 05).

Last edited by beerlover; 01-28-2005 at 08:14 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read