Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Potential Free Agents of Interest

Well, one day until franchise tags and it looks like a lot of guys are going to hit the market. There will probably be a couple more tags and some more cuts as well but I thought I'd keep a running list of guys the Texans may have some interest in, so here we go:

RB
JJ Arrington
Ced Benson
Buckhalter
Kev Jones
M. Morris
M. Pittman
D. RHodes
D. Sproles- franchised!
A. Stecker
D. Ward

WR
K. Colbert
D. Henderson
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones
Nate Washington
Reggie Williams

OL
Jordan Gross- re-signed with Carolina
Jake Groves
M. Tauscher
Stinchcomb
Kalif Barnes

DL
Shaun Cody
Albert Haynesworth
Jovan Haye
J. Peppers- turned down a huge contract offer and will only sign a long term deal w/ 1 of 4 teams- not us.
Antonio Smith

LB
C. Crowder
A. Crowell
A Davis
L. Hill- franchised
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
J. Vilma

CB
Asomugha
Bodden
Florence
McCalister
McFadden

S
Atogwe- franchised... dang it!
Y. Bell
J. Butler
Consodine
S. Jones
J. Leonhard
J. Phillips

please help me update it when you hear news and maybe the mods would be willing to sticky it?

Last edited by dalemurphy; 02-19-2009 at 12:09 PM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Free Agents of Interest

um you left of Dunta.
Old 02-18-2009   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Going by that list the 4 FA's I would like to see signed that would fit our budget are

1. McAlister 3 time all-pro, replaces Dunta (if we dont franchise him)
2. Crowder Young tough LB that can play SAM
3. S.Jones The hard hitting S we have been looking for, good @ creating turnovers
4. Pittman Goal line short yardage back, Tough has good hands

If we draft a LB our LB corps are set
Draft a RB late5-7 rd With Slaton, Pittman, Moats,Rookie RB we have depth
It would be nice to have a hard hitting vet. secondary McAlister& Jones give you that
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Sproles the RB in San Diego? If so, I really liked watching him. He's young, fast, and shifty. I'd take him over someone a lot older. Probably not the best move though, but I like him.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Is Sproles the RB in San Diego? If so, I really liked watching him. He's young, fast, and shifty. I'd take him over someone a lot older. Probably not the best move though, but I like him.
I love him. However, I don't know if he fits with the Texans with Slaton here. Sproles will cost about $7 million per year to get him and Slaton will be looking for a new deal in a year. I just don't know if we can pay 2 smallish backs around $15 million per year. Plus, it would be hard to maximize both guys since they're so similar. We'd still need a bigger back to take some short yardage carries.
Old 02-18-2009   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I love him. However, I don't know if he fits with the Texans with Slaton here. Sproles will cost about $7 million per year to get him and Slaton will be looking for a new deal in a year. I just don't know if we can pay 2 smallish backs around $15 million per year. Plus, it would be hard to maximize both guys since they're so similar. We'd still need a bigger back to take some short yardage carries.
True, but he's still fun to watch. I wasn't seriously advocating getting him, but it would be cool to have him, minus the $7 million/year.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #7
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 7 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

My Wish List:

Corner CB - Asomugha(We would be taken seriously for the first time as an organization) McAllister he could be a good fit if we draft a corner and lose Dunta to FA.

Saftey S- Sean Jones he's been solid for the browns the last couple of years.

Running Back RB- Derrick Ward we need a between the tackles runner and his 41 receptions aren't bad either. I know he's 29 but a 2 yr deal isnt crazy. I also think former first round pick Kevin Jones could bring some added value to our backfield at age 26 i think he would do good in our zone blocking scheme. Both of these backs are around the 225 range. What do yall think about these Free Agents?

Last edited by TexansFan33; 02-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2009   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Atogwe from the Rams is the ballhawk safety we've never had. Would love to see him in a Texans uniform next year looking over Reeves' shoulder when the ball is in the air.

Dont forget CB Dre Bly and DT Dewayne Robertson were also released. I doubt we'll go after either of them but just dropping names.
Old 02-18-2009   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think someone is going to make Darren Sproles the second highest-paid RB in the NFL? Right now according to the salaries released for computing the franchise tag numbers, the highest-paid RB in the NFL is LaDanian Tomlinson at 7.8 million. Second-highest is 6.75 million per.

I like Sproles, but not for the Texans. We don't need a guy even smaller than Slaton.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Dre Bly is about to turn 32.

Dre Bly was a starter on one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. Their pass defense is worse than Houston's. Much worse, if you go by the numbers.

Dre Bly should be nowhere NEAR a desired FA pickup.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-18-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of the list:

RB
M. Pittman
D. Rhodes
A. Stecker

WR
Late round draft pick

OL
Kalif Barnes

DL
Would love J Peppers or Haynesworth but that would take our money

LB
C. Crowder
B. Scott

CB
Anyone of those guys

S Atogwe.

Anyone of these guys I would like.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see:

D. Robinson CB HOU
OJ Atogwe FS STL
S.Jones SS CLE
L.Bodden CB DET

I think that is doable, and leaves the team in a good position come draft time. With the secondary sured up, the Texans can focus on their positions that need upgrades: DE, NT, C, or pick up a real difference maker at LB.

J. Gross LT CAR would be on my wish list too, but the Texans aren't going to give up on Brown anytime soon.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Teams are taking their time with the franchise designations, eh? Hurry up and tell us already!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Derrick Ward was on the Jim Rome show today and mentioned playing for the Texans. He likes the idea of sharing carries with Steve Slaton. According to rotoworld.com, he's looking for $4 million a year for a contract.

IMO, he is the perfect FA Rb for us. I'd really like to see this work out.
Old 02-18-2009   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Derrick Ward was on the Jim Rome show today and mentioned playing for the Texans. He likes the idea of sharing carries with Steve Slaton. According to rotoworld.com, he's looking for $4 million a year for a contract.

IMO, he is the perfect FA Rb for us. I'd really like to see this work out.
I would LOVE to have Ward, but not for $4 million.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-18-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I would LOVE to have Ward, but not for $4 million.
I think a 4yr $16 million contract with $8 million guaranteed seems reasonable to me. I certainly don't think it puts us in salary cap trouble.
Old 02-18-2009   #17
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
I think a 4yr $16 million contract with $8 million guaranteed seems reasonable to me. I certainly don't think it puts us in salary cap trouble.
I just think it's too much for a complimentary back. It's not a ridiculous amount of money by any means - but with all our other holes, I'd rather put that kind of money into other places.

I wouldn't be upset if it went down, though.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-18-2009   #18
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I just think it's too much for a complimentary back. It's not a ridiculous amount of money by any means - but with all our other holes, I'd rather put that kind of money into other places.

I wouldn't be upset if it went down, though.
You know, the more I think about this - the more I'm okay with it. I still think it's too much for a complimentary back - but I think he'd be such a great fit... and hell, his comments on Rome today prove he's not demanding to go somewhere and be a starter.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 02-18-2009   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
PEPPERS PICKS A PECK OF POSSIBLE SUITORS
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers wants out of Carolina — he has made that clear.

But he now has narrowed the field of potential suitors to four, presuming that the Panthers use the franchise tag on Peppers and then try to trade him.

According to Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald, the teams are the Cowboys, two NFC South opponents, and an unnamed AFC team.

As to the NFC South foes, we’re not aware of any that run a 3-4 defense, Peppers’ supposed defense of choice. (If we’re wrong, we figure that one or two . . . or 67 . . . of you will point it out.)

The Cowboys use the 3-4, but with DeMarcus Ware and with no first-round pick in 2009, a trade is unlikely.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...tors/#comments

The fact that he has two NFC-S teams on his wish list, with none of those teams running a 3-4, could mean that he might not be ruling out the option of playing for a 4-3 team. We still might have hope for landing Peppers.

Although, I wouldn't give up a 1st and 3rd for him, which is probably the asking price for Carolina to trade him.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
J. Peppers- turned down a huge contract offer and will only sign a long term deal w/ 1 of 4 teams- not us.

please help me update it when you hear news and maybe the mods would be willing to sticky it?
Did it come out that Peppers said that he wouldn't play for Houston. I know his 4 team list included one AFC team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read