Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Okoye to dramatically improve in 2009?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
This article from houstontexans.com suggests that Okoye did little off-season strength and conditioning work and that he has made a committment to improve that. Also, it talks about the high ankle sprain hampering him much of the season. It's encouraging to think that he will enter '09 stronger, healthier, and in better condition. Meanwhile, the defense will allow him to use his quickness to make more plays. I'm very encouraged by what could be a group of DTs that make a lot of plays next year. Here's the article:

Last year did not go according to plan for Amobi Okoye. After recording 32 tackles and 5.5 sacks in his rookie season, the defensive tackle suffered a high ankle sprain and finished with just 24 tackles and one sack in 2008.

“I started out the season just OK, but as soon things stared getting right for me was when the injury occurred,” Okoye said. “I came back earlier than most expected because the team needed me to come back and I toughed it out for the season. Toward the end of the season, I was happier with my play. Overall, I think the 2008 season wasn’t the season I wanted statistically, but play-wise, I think I took a step forward.”

"I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also." - Amobi OkoyeOkoye, the Texans’ 10th overall draft pick in 2007, would like to make a giant leap forward next season. A month off has allowed his ankle to heal, and since he returned from the Pro Bowl, he has been hitting the gym with newfound motivation.

“I took January all the way until the Pro Bowl off,” Okoye said. “I went to the Pro Bowl with Mario (Williams), and obviously with that, there is a lot of motivation to go on your own.

“Last year, coming off my rookie year, I didn’t want to do something unless I was forced to do it. So last year, I didn’t do anything until April. I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also. So after the Pro Bowl was over, I came back and started working out.”

Okoye has been focusing on improving his conditioning and increasing his core strength and is working his way toward heavy press lifting sessions. On Tuesday, he met with new defensive line coach Bill Kollar to review his offseason program.

Kollar is regarded by many in the league as a hard-nosed coach who gets the most out of his players, and Okoye thinks Kollar can help get him to the next level, especially when it comes to technique.

“I watched the work he (Kollar) did with the D-line in Buffalo,” Okoye said. “I like the way they came off the ball. I liked the way they got after it. I am looking forward to working with him. I think he’ll be a great addition to the team.”

Okoye plans to ramp up his workouts until mid-March, when he leaves for a community-building trip in is native Nigeria. The Amobi Okoye Foundation is sponsoring its second mission to the country entitled, "Athletes in the Diaspora:Community Interventions (ADCI)."

“This program is dear to my heart,” Okoye said. “We have five parts of this program, which include scholarship programs and health care programs. We are starting in Nigeria, but we are planning to expand to different countries.”

This year, Okoye will be joined by his teammate linebacker Xavier Adibi, as well as Chicago’s Tommie Harris, Israel Idonije and Adewale Ogunleye, the New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora and Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha.

“The program is getting bigger and bigger,” Okoyw said. “When I meet athletes, a lot them say that they want to go back to Africa, and our program is one way they can do that and give back.”

"Last year, coming off my rookie year, I didn’t want to do something unless I was forced to do it. So last year, I didn’t do anything until April. I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also. So after the Pro Bowl was over, I came back and started working out.”

You have got to be kidding me. No pun intended but what a rookie mistake that was, how does any professional athlete think that they can get by with that sort of work ethic? You can not take that much time off and expect to be ready to go in the NFL. There's no way he trained like this at Louisville and got away with it.

/Rant

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Amobi's and I really think he's going to develop into a great DT for us, this was just shocking for me to read. With a serious offseason of working out/conditioning, I think it's going to be much more reasonable to expect a big jump in his production next year.

gary

Hall of Fame
Give him time he has only been in the league for two seasons and was hurt last season.

4Texans

Veteran
I hope he comes back full force. He's barely old enough to buy a beer now, so he's very young and still got some learning to do.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
This was part of the deal when we drafted him - he's young and immature. Like a lot of us at that age, he's hard-headed and he's going to learn the hard way.

Wolf6151

All Pro
"Last year, coming off my rookie year, I didn’t want to do something unless I was forced to do it. So last year, I didn’t do anything until April. I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also. So after the Pro Bowl was over, I came back and started working out.”

I've got to agree with Superdave, when I read this it says to me that he was basically lazy and didn't want to workout. What's this say about his work ethic or committment to the team for the money he's getting paid. What guarantee is there that this won't happen again this year or next. Very disappointing. I think that if Amobi can find the motivation then he could be great, but this just reminds me of Anthony Weaver, veteran player hanging on and collecting a pay check and setting a bad example for the rookies.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
I don't think this is a big deal. I'm glad he's being honest. Mario Williams basically admitted that he was more concerned with buying and playing with his cars than studying his playbook when he was a rookie, and look at him now.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but unfortunately not everyone has DeMeco Ryans' work ethic.

rarazz00

VOLUME 10
He did play play hurt for the 08 campaigne. Remember Mario played w/ a bad foot for most of the season in 06...I think Amobi will be inspired form the Pro-bowl (like he said) and have a great 09 season. Besides Coach Kollar will put his hoof in his arse....and TJ. TOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:brando:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Immaturity is the only logical explanation for not working out until April last season. I hoped that Mario would rub off on Amobi but apparently that wasn't the case. Hopefully coach Kollar and the new S&C coach stay on his tail throughout the offseason and make sure he adds the strength necessary to look the part of a top 10 pick this season.

Silver Oak

All Pro
I would have rather had him say..."I didn't play to my expectations last season so I'm hitting the gym hard this offseason", versus seeing the guys at the Pro Bowl and thinking you can hang with them.

meh...either way I'm just glad he's motivated as I wanted big things from him when he was drafted.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
It's called growing up and it looks like Amobi is doing some of it this year.
Honestly, this one drawback to drafting a younger player. Trust me, as someone who is around 18-21 year olds for a living, he is not unusual in that regard. A lot of the posters responding are looking at the world through more mature eyes and forget how much they had to be forced (directly or indirectly) when they were college aged (whether in school or not). The hope is that he is not just speaking words, but follows through with the consistent off-season action to make the improvement needed to go beyond just flashing potential.

Dapper

Waterboy
Well, he and his teamates had better get in shape. I have a feeling Coach Kollar will get all of their attention and in short order have them flying around full speed 24-7 They darn well better come to camp in shape....... or they better have ear plugs!
I have 4 sons of my own and they are all different. You can't push the same button on any of them. Okoye is probably a "show me" kind of kid and i'm glad Mario took him to the pro bowl. Believe it or not, sometimes that's all they need. i look for him, and dare i say, t.j. to turn it up a notch. We need that "house of pain" mentality again. I want to be proud of our defense like the Ravens are.

BSofA04

Veteran
I willing to give Okoye a pass for taking some time off last season. You have to believe that between his senior season, combine and rookie season, he didn't have all that much time to relax. Combine that with the fact that the guy is 21, I don't blame him for taking a long break last season. Call it your typical sophmore jynx. The good thing is that he has matured and realized that to be a great player he has to put in that extra effort in the offseason. I expect to see the real Amobi Okoye in 2009.

You have got to be kidding me. No pun intended but what a rookie mistake that was, how does any professional athlete think that they can get by with that sort of work ethic? You can not take that much time off and expect to be ready to go in the NFL. There's no way he trained like this at Louisville and got away with it.

/Rant

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Amobi's and I really think he's going to develop into a great DT for us, this was just shocking for me to read. With a serious offseason of working out/conditioning, I think it's going to be much more reasonable to expect a big jump in his production next year.
I agree I am F-in speechless!

Wolf6151

All Pro
"Okoye has been focusing on improving his conditioning and increasing his core strength and is working his way toward heavy press lifting sessions."

I'm not quite sure what heavy press lifting sessions are but it sounds like Amobi is trying to improve his strength and overall conditioning. Although I'm still quite disappointed in him for last years off season, I'm impressed with his new found committment to the team as long as it lasts. If he can stay motivated then I'd look for big things from him next year. Let's also hope that Kollar will have an effect of Travis Johnson as well cause that guy needs some motivation as well. To bad but I don't think Kollar will have much effect of Weaver and he costs too much to cut him.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Having Okoye, burst,stand up, read, and go is wasting his talents. He should straight 1 gap and tackle the back on the way to the qb. I actually think he can also be like cullen jenkins or tuck in which he can kick out to de and get after the qb because he has natural leverage.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
committment to the team should have been there from the get go.

pretty disappointing.
It's pretty normal for it to NFL players a couple years to learn the level of commitment it takes to succeed. I'm sure he was doing what had made him successful in college, plus some. Man, pessimism is rampant around here. The kid is 22 years old and has determined to do more to be successful. Seems like a good thing to me.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame

/Rant

He was a kid. This is the whole reason why I'm willing to give Okoye another season. (seriously imagine coming to the NFL at 19 years old) Maturity will probably play the biggest factor in his improvement.....as well as ditching the read and react style and going to the shoot the gap style which plays to Amobi's strengths.

P

Polo

It's called growing up and it looks like Amobi is doing some of it this year.
I think a lot of people are missing this.

Amobi as the youngest player to play in the leauge came in and had a damn near dominant first half of his rookie campaign...His season in total was pretty good as well...

A guy that young coming off of a good season probably starts to get a little too big headed and over confident in his abilities...Probally starts thinking that he doesn't have to do as much and can still be better than most...I was actually worried that might happen after his good rookie season...

I believe that he'll grow up and match the work ethic with the ability.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Man, a lot of knee-jerkin going on over nothing. Actually, I look at it as a positive thing. He realized what he was doing wrong after only a year compared to some young rooks that never figure it out.

IMO, Okoye's finally going to be able to play his type of game. I fully expect Amobi to enter beast-mode this season.

awtysst

Draft Guru
I think a lot of people are missing this.

Amobi as the youngest player to play in the leauge came in and had a damn near dominant first half of his rookie campaign...His season in total was pretty good as well...

A guy that young coming off of a good season probably starts to get a little too big headed and over confident in his abilities...Probally starts thinking that he doesn't have to do as much and can still be better than most...I was actually worried that might happen after his good rookie season...

I believe that he'll grow up and match the work ethic with the ability.

And honestly, that first half of season one was probably what slowed down his career. He probably came in thinking that he could do what he did in college and be successful. That first half season cemented in his mind he could. He then thought , well ok, i hit the rookie wall, but if i just keep doing what im doing, i;ll be fine. It took a full season of not doing great for him to realize this is the NFL, i need to kick it up a notch. I expect great things from him this year.

So, yeah, in retrospect, that great start to his rook season might have been bad thing for him.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
I am not a big fan of Okoye, nor am I a big fan of committing professional dollars that count against a cap to potential. If Okoye has a big year in 2009 then we will begin to have another negotiation on potential for the second contract in the coming years.

In the end I want him to produce, but this investment has the Texans upside down at the moment, and could get worse if he just shines a little, given the contextual relevance of his age.

Last edited:

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I am not a big fan of Okoye, nor am I a big fan of committing professional dollars that count against a cap to potential. If Okoye has a big year in 2009 then we will begin to have another negotiation on potential for the second contract in the coming years.

In the end I want him to produce, but this investment has the Texans upside down at the moment, and could get worse if he just shines a little, given the contextual topic of his age.
I appreciate what you're saying and generally agree with it. That's the main reason why I'm utterly opposed, with very few exceptions, to drafting QBs high in the first round. Having said that, I think the team believed he would have been an asset by his second season. Unfortunately, it looks like his preparation in the off-season was lacking and certainly the coaching staff was misusing him. All that being said, if he can collapse the pocket this year and get 7-8 sacks, I don't think the team will be upset with having 2 years left on that rookie contract, which wasn't enormous relatively speaking.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Pretty interesting read. I like getting more of an inside look on the players' lives than we normally get.

Some of my thoughts coming away from the article:
1. Okoye's previous offseason- I see that as a combination of him being so young, going a 20 game NFL season (including preseason), being burnt out and tired, wanting to rest. He's got a brand new lifestyle making a lot of money on his own, not sure if he's living by himself or not. Anyways, like others, I'm not condoning it but I see it as him being young and having so much thrown at him at one time. He is a really smart guy and has a good head on his shoulders. It sounds like he's matured some more during the past few months which is great. I can see him looking at Mario's success and realizing how much potential he has. Mario went through so much being the #1 pick and how Mario's succeeding. Looks like Okoye wants to go to the Pro Bowl, likes this new style of defense and wants to excel in what he does.

2. His mission trip to Nigeria. This may be a little selfish of me, but I'm hoping Asomugha gets franchised by Oakland this year, goes on the trip with Okoye and they bond really well. Our team makes a dramatic change (particularly the defense). Then next year, as a free agent, Asomugha wants to be a part of the Texans on the rise and be with his friend Okoye!

I'm sure there's more. I know we all would wish he would be die hard committed living Texans 24/7 and come out after his rookie year and be an all-pro but he was young. Still is. To me, I think he's found that passion to strive for excellence. The difference I see with Okoye is that he's a really smart and good kid. He's not a punk like so many in the league. It seems like he wants to be really good at everything he does and that's a great trait to have. I don't see him being quite as lazy anymore after reading this... but what do I really know!?

El Tejano

Hall of Fame

I've got to agree with Superdave, when I read this it says to me that he was basically lazy and didn't want to workout. What's this say about his work ethic or committment to the team for the money he's getting paid. What guarantee is there that this won't happen again this year or next. Very disappointing. I think that if Amobi can find the motivation then he could be great, but this just reminds me of Anthony Weaver, veteran player hanging on and collecting a pay check and setting a bad example for the rookies.
Well first of all remember that he only barely turned 21 years old. Then add that to the fact that in his rookie season he was barely getting drafted in April and he still came in and got 5 sacks that year. So you have to think that a young guy probably figured he didn't have to put in that extra work to get at least 5 sacks again.

After the season he had, I think he learned his lesson. The fact that we are catching him in the weightroom now is encouraging and I am happy to know that he saw something at The Pro Bowl that ignited a fire for him. This is something that I wish we saw TJ doing but nothing has ever sparked that guy.

I am also glad to hear who all Mario brought along and I hope that the trip really helped them all see what they can acheive with a good work ethic.

disaacks3

Staff member
I see both sides of the argument pretty clearly and you NEVER want to hear a #10 pick tell you that he basically "sat on his ***" until April after the season.

That said - It was the risk the Texans knew they were taking with a younger under-developed player. He suffered a huge case of rookie burnout after the staff has counseled him during his rookie year to push through it. The injury exacerbated the issue.

THIS is the "payoff" year for that pick. He's just now the equivalent age of a College junior who is declaring for the draft. He has two seasons of full-speed NFL contact under his belt and should now be coming into his own for the first time. If we get some more line help via FA / Draft (say another DE) I'm betting that his numbers rebound dramatically. If not (barring injury), we trade him away and cut our losses. At least he's honest - let's see if he can motivate himself to be an elite player.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't go so far as to say trade him if he doesn't produce to expectations this season. But like you said, this season is really set up for him to succeed. I hope Kollar can get all of our D-linemen to play with a new found aggression.

I think a lot of people forget the eye in the storm 18 months a player goes through his last season in college and his rookie NFL season. Many 1st year players talk about taking the winter months off before offseason workouts start up again. They talk about not having had any time off since two a days in college. And they are tired.

Think about it, they go through an entire college season, bowl game, senior bowl , training at a skills school for the combine, going to the combine, training for the pro day at their college, performing at the pro day. Individual team workouts and more training. Then comes the draft, and then the real work begins. OTAs mini camps, finally a month off, time to learn the play book. Training camp and NFL season.

Heck I'm tired just typing all this.

It is understandable for a player to want to rest. And give Okoye credit, he did not sit on his ass, he went to Africa and made a difference. He is a solid kid. And deserves our support.

JayCee

Waterboy
It's pretty normal for it to NFL players a couple years to learn the level of commitment it takes to succeed. I'm sure he was doing what had made him successful in college, plus some. Man, pessimism is rampant around here. The kid is 22 years old and has determined to do more to be successful. Seems like a good thing to me.
not sure i agree - we're talking about a 3 month break here, and players who are on the brink of being cut after going through the same rookie process - i'm sure wouldn't have taken this long of break off.

i'm a huge fan of Okoye, another high character player in this team which is why i love this team.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Having Okoye, burst,stand up, read, and go is wasting his talents. He should straight 1 gap and tackle the back on the way to the qb. I actually think he can also be like cullen jenkins or tuck in which he can kick out to de and get after the qb because he has natural leverage.
I think he could play some DE also.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
He doesn't have the closing speed. He needs to be closer to the QB.
When people suggest position changes they need to think outside in versus inside out. Okoye might survive in a 3-4 as DE, but in 4-3 he would look no different than Weaver.

stingray

Hall of Fame
I will hold my opinion on Amobi until at the very least November. He will have to show some big improvements by this year.

GP

Go Texans!
This is why the draft analysts were saying that the Okoye pick, where he was drafted, was a curious one. He was a great pick because of how young he was, which meant he had more potential than could be immediately assessed.

But he was tagged with a disclaimer: It might take 2-3 years for him to catch up to the rest of the league's players.

I would have to say that this assessment was scoffed at by a lot of us Texans fans. We thought we had stolen him on draft day. I think it might turn out that Okoye indeed was under-developed and indeed was going to need a few years to mature in many different ways.

I hope this is the year he puts it all together. If he's allowed to shoot gaps and get physical with an attitude of going vertical (up the field), like Kollar has said the defensive line will do, Okoye will do great.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
This is why the draft analysts were saying that the Okoye pick, where he was drafted, was a curious one. He was a great pick because of how young he was, which meant he had more potential than could be immediately assessed.

But he was tagged with a disclaimer: It might take 2-3 years for him to catch up to the rest of the league's players.

I would have to say that this assessment was scoffed at by a lot of us Texans fans. We thought we had stolen him on draft day. I think it might turn out that Okoye indeed was under-developed and indeed was going to need a few years to mature in many different ways.

I hope this is the year he puts it all together. If he's allowed to shoot gaps and get physical with an attitude of going vertical (up the field), like Kollar has said the defensive line will do, Okoye will do great.

Agreed. And amplified when he got those 5 sacks in his first 10 games as a rookie. To think a friggin 20 yr old could start like that and basically dominate from there on out sounds like a whole lot to ask looking at the big picture. I have a feeling he takes it to another level this year.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
“I took January all the way until the Pro Bowl off,” Okoye said. “I went to the Pro Bowl with Mario (Williams), and obviously with that, there is a lot of motivation to go on your own.

This year, Okoye will be joined by his teammate linebacker Xavier Adibi, as well as Chicago’s Tommie Harris, Israel Idonije and Adewale Ogunleye, the New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora and Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha.
These two things stood out to me in the article.

The first one because I wonder whether this was a ploy by Mario to motivate his teammate, and if it was good work Mario.

The second one because it speaks to what sort of potential Okoye has as a leader if he can rally around himself those sort of veteran guys for a cause.

My gut feeling is that Okoye will be better bordering on good in the new system.

stingray

Hall of Fame
These two things stood out to me in the article.

The first one because I wonder whether this was a ploy by Mario to motivate his teammate, and if it was good work Mario.

The second one because it speaks to what sort of potential Okoye has as a leader if he can rally around himself those sort of veteran guys for a cause.

My gut feeling is that Okoye will be better bordering on good in the new system.
Hey Kiwi, How's your daughter?

Wolf

100% Texan
I have a glass half full outlook.

I will echo what others have stated
I think his age had something to do with it(maturity), I think when he got the production he got as a rookie, I hope what went through his mind was "I did well as a rookie and with my 2nd year with the team, I won't have to think so much and can just play". Hence thinking of "off season" as being "off". I hope with his struggles last season and going to the probowl really did "flip a switch" in his mind. And am encouraged that he said he is dedicating himself this offseason. I have no problem with his trip to Africa, because if he does bust his tail, I figure his body will need some rest and besides, it isn't like he is a Qb or something.

I do admit that I was initially troubled with his quotes, but I feel a lot better with those quotes than if he busted his tail in the last offseason and we got the results out of him that we did and that he didn't use the injury as an excuse.

I will hope the new DL coach will bring some fire to the players and the scheme will be much better.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Willis who?

Yeah, I never had a great feeling about Amobi. Never really heard anything except "He's 19" when he came out of college. I'm glad it was him instead of Jaamal Anderson but I can't understand leaving Willis and Beason on the board.

ubecool454

Veteran
I hope he does improve because he hasn't been worth the first round pick yet. A lot of Texans fans have been easy on him so far....they rather take shots at mah boy Travis and its not justified. It really is good to know that Okoye doesn't think he is being all that he can be. I have to remember that this guy is still very young and though he is a large man...he was not nearly as strong as some of the guys he had to play against ...not yet...but I think its coming.