Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-15-2009   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacques Reeves: Could he play FS?

I ask this question, because we need a ball hawking FS. Someone posted on this board several months ago that Reeves was a very good cover guy for the first 10-15 yards, but sucked once the play got 20+ yards down the field. The point the poster was making was that as long as Reeves stayed squared up on the play & kept the action in front of him, he was very effective.

After reading that assessment, I started paying more attention to when Reeves lost control of the play & he was right. When Reeves keeps the play in front of him, he's tough to beat. He's a sure handed tackler, has a good eye for the ball, good closing burst, & no one can question his speed. However, once the receiver gets down field, all bets are off.

So, that brings me back to the original question. Could Reeves play FS?

At FS, he'd have the play in front of him everytime & with his speed, it'd be hard to get past him. Is this an option, or have I overdosed on the hot wings again?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Jacques Reeves: Could he play FS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I ask this question, because we need a ball hawking FS. Someone posted on this board several months ago that Reeves was a very good cover guy for the first 10-15 yards, but sucked once the play got 20+ yards down the field. The point the poster was making was that as long as Reeves stayed squared up on the play & kept the action in front of him, he was very effective.

After reading that assessment, I started paying more attention to when Reeves lost control of the play & he was right. When Reeves keeps the play in front of him, he's tough to beat. He's a sure handed tackler, has a good eye for the ball, good closing burst, & no one can question his speed. However, once the receiver gets down field, all bets are off.

So, that brings me back to the original question. Could Reeves play FS?

At FS, he'd have the play in front of him everytime & with his speed, it'd be hard to get past him. Is this an option, or have I overdosed on the hot wings again?
You make an interesting case. I just don't think he is a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense so we already have someone like that in Eugene Wilson.
Old 02-15-2009   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're looking to move a corner to FS I think I would try Molden first. Seems like a raw physical talent, always making plays on special teams. His size and speed would be a plus. He's not really entrenched as a corner either, at least not as much as Reeves.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
If we're looking to move a corner to FS I think I would try Molden first. Seems like a raw physical talent, always making plays on special teams. His size and speed would be a plus. He's not really entrenched as a corner either, at least not as much as Reeves.
Or Fred Bennett. He was thought to be a FS when he was drafted.
Old 02-15-2009   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope for two reasons:
(1) Like Ckw said; he's not a sure enough tackler to be our last line of defense.
(2) If he can't find the ball at CB, what will make him develop that skill enough to find the ball at FS??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Another lets turn X CB into a FS thread. Shoot me.

I hope this staff is into the novel idea of drafting or signing an actual FS and....having him play FS. Safety play was something that completely eldued Richard Smith with his right side/ left side ideas instead of a defense that has a true FS and SS with fairly dicated roles. What we got was a mixed pot of safeties more suited to play SS.

Weak as our CB unit looks imagine if Dunta walks and we don't grab a CB high in the draft. Could you imagine further weakening the spot by taking Reeves and trying to have him transition to FS? How that would play on the entire secondary?

No thanks.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Is this assuming we dont have Eugene Wilson this year?
Old 02-15-2009   #8
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Horrible idea just draft a safety or sign a good one in free agency.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #9
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Weak as our CB unit looks imagine if Dunta walks and we don't grab a CB high in the draft. Could you imagine further weakening the spot by taking Reeves and trying to have him transition to FS? How that would play on the entire secondary?
As far as I'm concerned, Dunta will not leave the Texans. The front office will get him resigned. So, I'm making 2 assumptions.

1) Dunta will resign.
2) Bennett/Molden nail down the other starting CB position, or we sign someone like Bryant McFadden or Kelvin Hayden in free agency.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 02-15-2009   #10
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Horrible idea just draft a safety or sign a good one in free agency.
Perhaps you're right. I was just throwing out an idea that I felt would better utilize his strengths while improving the team.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 02-16-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting thought. I've actually been somewhat impressed with Reeves unlike most posters. He does a great job of blanketing the wr and has the speed to stay with them. The only thing that gets me is that on deep patterns, he doesn't locate the ball. Even though he's got the wr covered, they still make the catch. I think if he can correct this (new secondary coach Gibbs?) than he can be a GREAT cb.

However, like you've said he does do a good job when the play is infront of him. I agree with some other posters that i'm not confident in his tacklling to have him at fs for long. With all that combined, it looks like he could be a good slot cb.

If Dunta can regain form and lock down a starter spot, Bennett can develop more and get out of his sophomore slump and get the other starter spot, then Reeves could slide into the slot and I'd feel better about our cbs. There's a lot of if's still out there, though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was me, I'd stick him back there in practice and see if he can really hit somebody a few times when he gets the chance. Just make sure he's wearing pads, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #13
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Is this assuming we dont have Eugene Wilson this year?
If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is better at SS then FS. We have a ton of SS, and no one at FS.

Been our problem for years.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #14
Polo

Jaque Reeves doesn't handle contact well.

He needs to work on being a better corner before trying to play FS.
Old 02-16-2009   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is better at SS then FS. We have a ton of SS, and no one at FS.

Been our problem for years.
Wilson is better at FS, he is in fact a guy who played a lot of corner in college and some in the pros before moving to FS as OP suggests for Reeves. Honestly, probably best as 5th/6th DB, but as FS he is acceptable (but replaceable) and better than most of what we have done over time.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Uhh..have u seen him hit? That should answer your question right there. But just in case it doesn't, amidst range & solid tackling, the #1 thing u want from a FS is ball skills like Polamalu, Reed, Griffin etc. that's the very thing that he lacks as a CB at the moment.

Last edited by Mr teX; 02-16-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #17
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Uhh..have u seen him hit? That should answer your question right there. But just in case it doesn't, amidst range & solid tackling, the #1 thing u want from a FS is ball skills like Polamalu, Reed, Griffin etc. that's the very thing that he lacks as a CB at the moment.
there is a difference between having your back to the ball and trying to make a play on it or facing the play and having everything happen in front of you. just cause you cant do one doesnt mean you cant do the other.

doesnt matter though............. he cant hit!
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #18
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Honestly, I think we're fine at FS if we re-sign Wilson. It's a position we could upgrade in FA/the draft if need be, but if he comes back I think it gets bumped down on the needs list a fair amount. His INT against Cincy was the first time in a real long time I saw a safety make a great play on a deep ball. I think we need an athletic, talented SS more than anything. I doubt we woo any young, talented SS in free agency, so I expect us to draft one in the top 3 rounds.
Old 02-17-2009   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have the Bears game DVR'd, so I'll go back and check, but Dominique Barber didn't look too bad. He wasn't scared like Brandon Harrison and rushed the QB well for a DB.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #20
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
That was my thought as well. I don't know about how much of an adjustment it would be for him mentally, but I don't think it'd be much. But I think the Texans feel like if he becomes a starting corner his value there would have more of an impact for the team. Big, fast, physical corners that can cover and tackle don't come around too often. Physically he has the potential to not just be the best corner on the team, but one of the top corners in the leauge. I think that if he struggles playing corner they may try him as a safety.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read