Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2009   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why Everette Brown would be HORRIBLE for the Texans.

Everette Brown is a 3-4 rush linebacker, trust me on this one. He only weighs 252lbs. and unless he plans on gaining at least another 30lbs. and still play at the level he plays right now, he simply will not be good for the 4-3 defense that the Texans run. Although I think Brown is a better athlete than Michael Johnson, Johnson fits more the prototypical 4-3 defensive end mold.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why Everette Brown would be HORRIBLE for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Everette Brown is a 3-4 rush linebacker, trust me on this one. He only weighs 252lbs. and unless he plans on gaining at least another 30lbs. and still play at the level he plays right now, he simply will not be good for the 4-3 defense that the Texans run. Although I think Brown is a better athlete than Michael Johnson, Johnson fits more the prototypical 4-3 defensive end mold.
agreed. although Kruger would be my preferred choice over Johnson still Brown just isn't big enough to be an every down 4-3 DE. now the possibility of having him as a strong side/ blitzing OLB is enticing. the texans don't have any prototypical Sam linebackers just a bunch of Wills. i think that Smith could find another guy later in the draft for the same position but i like the idea of having Brown as that guy.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dwight Freeney goes about 250 and he's pretty damn good.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #4
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Most open side/re are his size. Its more about pad level and leverage. Jason Taylor, Ogolune ad alex brown, freeney and the 235lbs mathis are all smallish defensive ends. Suggs played the right end in baltimore even with the hybrid stuff. Its like I've said, leverage and pad level. How big is Kearse? If he fails, its not going to be because of size, its going to be because like Moss in denver and some of those other guys, they can't get their pads down and convert speed to power to get the ol off balance.
Old 02-13-2009   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very afraid of the "tweener" guys: Brown, Maybin (maybe Orakpo).

But, just to play Devil's Advocate:

Everette Brown 6-4, 252

DE Aaron Schobel 6-4, 243 - In Bill Kollar's 4-3 defense in Buffalo 2006: 15 sacks. 2007: 6 sacks. 2008: injured.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

dont get bogged down on weight. 252 is ok if you can play like brown does. plus players add weight as they get older. brown will probably play at between 260-270 most of his career. unfortunately, he wont be there at 15 though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think a player should be condemned because of his height or weight. Some guys were just born to play football. I think Brown would be fine in our new BK system. We are a rush the QB defense now and Brown is one of the best in college. But I think with so many 3-4 teams in front of us he will be gone. The Pack, Broncos, Browns and 49ers all ahead of us. Brown, Curry, Orakpo and Raji should all be gone.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2009   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I dont think a player should be condemned because of his height or weight. Some guys were just born to play football. I think Brown would be fine in our new BK system. We are a rush the QB defense now and Brown is one of the best in college. But I think with so many 3-4 teams in front of us he will be gone. The Pack, Broncos, Browns and 49ers all ahead of us. Brown, Curry, Orakpo and Raji should all be gone.
I completely agree. Saying Everette Brown isn't a 4-3 DE because of his weight is foolish. Is Brandon Jacobs not a RB because he's too big? Should Mario be a DT becuase of his weight? Brown plays like a 4-3 DE and thus he should remain. Whenever I watched him against Wisconsin in the Bowl game he ran stunts inside and also displayed a nice bull rush that he effectively used because they feared his speed. Everette Brown is a 4-3 DE.
Old 02-13-2009   #9
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Lendale White should be an entire oline
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I agree. Some guys are just football players. If Kollar and Bush think the guy can work for our system, I'm 100% behind them. They know better than we do.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #11
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Dwight Freeney goes about 250 and he's pretty damn good.
Exactly. Osi Umenyiora is not a heavy guy either. Neither is Robert Mathis, John Abraham, or Bertrand Berry. Brown would be fine for the Texans, although I'd prefer traded down into the mid-20s and picking up Michael Johnson and some extra picks.
Old 02-14-2009   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree that everette brown would fail as a texan solely based on size
Old 02-14-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

like your shock-value headline approach (lame as it may be). what I don't want to see is for Rick Smith & Co. to paint themselves into a corner (must invest wisely) & force a pick because of fear or inability to address this need.

regarding Brown as the better athlete than Johnson what basis are you making that claim? if anything is true Michael Johnson has freakish athletic ability. so not for all the right reasons you give- Michael just might be the better fit here for the Texans. despite scouts who site his lack of production MJ still had 17.5 tfl & 9 sacks, not that far behind EB 21.5 tfl 13.5 sacks. I watched Georgia Tech play a couple games & MJ was constantly double teamed, he strggled to shed blockers or split double teams & was forced to chase the backside similar to Mario does because they did not run at him as much as they ran the opposite side. so he has to develop better hand placement, take proper angles & develop array of pro style rushing moves, this is where Brown clearly has the edge. However, if MJ gets into the right situation (Texans) & Bush thinks he can develop his prototypical measureables (these will be announced @ the combine) could project then translate into highlight material
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i cant watch college football over here so my views are solely based on youtube material..

nothing ive seen of michael johnson makes me gasp or give a 'wow' the way i have when ive seen brown's spin moves or the club he gave the v tech lt or his closing speed etc

one's a guy with great DE measurables, the other is a great DE
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't agree with this notion that a guy can't play a position because of weight, especially when other good players in the NFL play the position at the same weight.

I also think we should be looking at both Michael Johnson and Everette Brown . They both fit what we want in a 4-3 DE IMO.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree like everyone else about him simply because of his weight. With that said, I just don't like him as a prospect and I don't think he will see near the success in the NFL as a 4-3 DE.
Old 02-15-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've made this post before but I guess I'll have to do it again...

Leg strength, hip strength, and leverage are infinitely more important than how much a guy weighs.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #18
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's actually only 6'1.5" and not 6'4"?
http://www.draftcountdown.com/featur...sitions/DE.php
My opinion is that I really like the athleticism and closing speed of Everette Brown, but his size is starting to scare me. We're already a smaller defensive front seven (except Mario of course), so this is just something to consider...
Old 02-24-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anthony Weaver was 6'3 and weighs 275. Size isn't everything
Old 02-24-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't understand people's obsession with measurables.

Football players are football players.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read