Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hopeful trade down scenarios from BattleREdBlog

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/2/...-candidate-for

The logic sounds solid enough to my mind, But then again I'm not the GM for the Lions, Bucks, or Viks...

For the record I'm all in favor of trading down for more picks. We have had great success in mid rounds thus far in the new regime's run.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #2
was385
Rookie

Default Re: Hopeful trade down scenarios from BattleREdBlog

Not sure I like the Minnesota scenario too much. Tavaris Jackson played well down the stretch so I think they'll be less likely to trade up for a QB.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What's funny about this is that last year the team trading up with us selected a QB that was considered a reach at that point. I can see the same happening with Freeman... maybe.

I like the Minnesota deal the best too. We'd have a 1st, a 2nd, two 3rds and two 4ths!!?? Get it done Rick. I see it as pretty unlikely too though.

As for his Jets/Favre comments. I understand what he's saying and somewhat agree, but I don't think he should be quite as difinitive. He says how they traded for Favre b/c the didn't believe in Clemons. But they just as easily could think Clemons could be the guy after a year or two with Brett Favre and that's why they got rid of Pennington. Knowing Favre would probably only play 1-2 seasons max and then have Clemons step in.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the Jets were really concerned that Clemons didn't have the arm strength to play in a windy stadium like the Jets do. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take an alternative option

I think another thing that he left out is that last years QB class really helped sell 1st round QBs from this class. A 1st round QB completely changed the face of 2 franchises last year, and I think teams this year will be looking to copy that formula

Last edited by gtexan02; 02-13-2009 at 01:46 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #5
Battle-Red
Rookie

A few things left out are FA QB's like Leftwich, Cassel, Garcia, Anderson and possibly Vick. It's more like the Lions, 49'ers, Chiefs, Jets, Vikes, and Bucs. Six probable teams and 8 possible Qbs. Seahawks, Skins, and Bears do not need QBs. Just the opposite on Clemens they liked him for his strong arm, but he kept losing the job to Pennington intelligence/hardwork, but they also like Ratliff for the same reason and neither of them are proven.

Last edited by Battle-Red; 02-13-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Battle-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else see Mel Kiper yesterday saying that the Jets didn't need to take a QB because they have Brett Ratliff?...

The guy has thrown 0 passes in the NFL.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I heard the Jets were really concerned that Clemons didn't have the arm strength to play in a windy stadium like the Jets do. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take an alternative option

Or they could just get a new stadium.
Old 02-13-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle-Red View Post
A few things left out are FA QB's like Leftwich, Cassel, Garcia, Anderson and possibly Vick.
Yeah, I think the QB market is pretty strong this off-season actually. The four you listed before Vick are all geniune opportunities for teams in QB hell to upgrade themselves.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A few things left out are FA QB's like Leftwich, Cassel, Garcia, Anderson and possibly Vick.
Cassel got Franchised, so he's not a FA. He can probably be had, but not as a free agent.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Cassel got Franchised, so he's not a FA. He can probably be had, but not as a free agent.
I think only Leftwich is a FA. The point is, all of those guys are available to teams interested.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think only Leftwich is a FA. The point is, all of those guys are available to teams interested.
Did I say they were not available?

Somebody said they were all FAs, and some are not. To certain teams it will make a difference. Some teams will easily trade for one of these guys, some will not.
Old 02-13-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Anyone else see Mel Kiper yesterday saying that the Jets didn't need to take a QB because they have Brett Ratliff?...

The guy has thrown 0 passes in the NFL.
I don't watch Kiper, but Schefter was high on him too. He said they still should bring in a vet QB, but Ratliff was impressive during preseason. Strange indeed!
Old 02-13-2009   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Jets had consistent play from the QB spot this year they would have been playoff bound for sure. Instead they had Favre melt down at the end of the year and cost them their spot. Im buying the thought of them drafting a 1st round QB. They are a perfect fit. Baltimore/Atlanta proved all you need is solid play for a decent team to make a run
Old 02-13-2009   #14
Battle-Red
Rookie

Yeah I over simplified the statement. Garcia and Leftwich are FA and I believe Vick will be. You are correct Cassel is franchised, but more than likely for sign and trade purposes. Anderson is under contract, but undoubtebly available. I say Vick only because it's been brought up multiple times in the media. As stated he can be a ticket draw and take the lumps while you groom your young QB and/or build your oline.
Old 02-13-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I over simplified the statement. Garcia and Leftwich are FA and I believe Vick will be. You are correct Cassel is franchised, but more than likely for sign and trade purposes. Anderson is under contract, but undoubtebly available. I say Vick only because it's been brought up multiple times in the media. As stated he can be a ticket draw and take the lumps while you groom your young QB and/or build your oline.
I thought Vick was still property of the Falcons? I know Blank lost in his attempt to get some of Vicks signing bonus back.

BTW, are you the Battle Red that posts on various teams Scout message boards?
Old 02-13-2009   #16
Battle-Red
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If the Jets had consistent play from the QB spot this year they would have been playoff bound for sure. Instead they had Favre melt down at the end of the year and cost them their spot. Im buying the thought of them drafting a 1st round QB. They are a perfect fit. Baltimore/Atlanta proved all you need is solid play for a decent team to make a run
Good running game, good defense, and good coaching had alot to do with that(Steelers did the same Big Ben's rookie and 2nd season). And while not 100% accurate the "experts" have said none of this years QBs(all under classmen) are on the same page as Ryan or Flacco.
Old 02-13-2009   #17
Battle-Red
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I thought Vick was still property of the Falcons? I know Blank lost in his attempt to get some of Vicks signing bonus back.

BTW, are you the Battle Red that posts on various teams Scout message boards?
Yeah, I'm not sure what his actual status is or would be or how they would work it. Just that Glazier, Schefter, Clayton and the like have brought it up multiple times since Vick has moved into a halfway house as an actual possibility. As well as reading about a plan his lawyers layed out for his returning to the NFL and paying his creditors.

I'm not sure what message boards your talking about. On any NFL/profootball sites I post on (not often) I try to be Battle-Red. Though I've seen different spellings of it.
Old 02-13-2009   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Vick's rights are stikll held by the Falcons. There are reports that they are willing to trade his rights though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3905354
Old 02-13-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Vick's rights are stikll held by the Falcons. There are reports that they are willing to trade his rights though.

Any team that trades for the rights of Vick is beyond dumb.
The Falcons will cut him
His contract is enormous

Why would anyone give up anything?
Old 02-13-2009   #20
Battle-Red
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll renegotiate the contract so that the Falcons get compensated, his creditors get compensated, it's no longer top QB money, and Vick still makes some money. If he is reinstated and someone actually trades for him. I was not saying this is or will be just that there are alot more QBs out there to be had in general. As well as the blog may have overstated the demand for QBs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read