Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-11-2009   #1
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Michael Johnson

A lot of people think this guy is garbage. I'm not one of them. Dude has the ideal size for a 4-3 DE at 6'7'' and 260-270lbs. He's got great burst off the LOS, can play the run effectively, and dude creates plays. His knocks are inconsistent production and he'll take plays off.

Highlight reel

Interview

With proper coaching and having a guy like Mario as a mentor, I think he'd be in a great situation here and it'd better his chances to realize his potential.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Michael Johnson

Johnson has all the measurables, plus he is an elite athlete. But there are questions about his effort and work ethic.

To me, he is in the same class as Vontae Davis. Both are elite athletes who have had rare moments where they show what they are truly capable of. But most of the time, they do just enough to get by.

I'm not a fan of his.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would imagine the Texans A) interview him @ the combine & if impressive B) envite him to Reliant for a private workout
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #4
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

I'd heard he was 6'7''. but I'd also heard that he was a little light for his size at closer to 240 lbs. than 260-270. The combine will say more, and it seems like once all these draftees head towards the start of the season they put on some questionable weight, but wouldn't 240-250 make him a little too light for how tall he is to play a 4-3 DE?
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave532 View Post
I'd heard he was 6'7''. but I'd also heard that he was a little light for his size at closer to 240 lbs. than 260-270. The combine will say more, and it seems like once all these draftees head towards the start of the season they put on some questionable weight, but wouldn't 240-250 make him a little too light for how tall he is to play a 4-3 DE?
Weight is overrated, IMO. It's all about hip strength, leg strength, and leverage.

The correlation is that bigger guys are usually stronger. But that doesn't mean that the more you weigh, the stronger you will be.
Old 02-11-2009   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if E. Brown & Orakpo are off the board we should take Johnson.

He is the only DE that plays the LDE. The other DE's are RDE's that will have to change sides. RDE is the glamour position they get the sacks. The LDE does the dirty work.

People who question Johnsons motor should know that his motor was running to fast & his coaches told him to slow down @ the begining of games because they needed him to be able to rush the passer in the 4th quarter.

Johnson has great size @ 6'7 260 lbs. & runs a 4.65 40. He needs to add 20lbs of muscle but all of the other DE's need to add weight too. Maybe with a professional S&C coach his stamina will improve.

TTP talks about having an elite 1st step, Johnson has that. The games I saw him in he was great @ rushing the passer from the LDE spot which says smething because the RT got alot of help from the TE & RB chipping Johnson. Johnson put up stats as good as any DE in this draft playing LDE. He has problems holding the edge against the run because he lacks strength & technique. Both of these things can be taught through improved coaching. He also is fairly new to the position & has lots of room to grow.

Johnson is a Smithiak kind of player in that they draft intelligent player (Ga Tech) that have high upsides
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think if E. Brown & Orakpo are off the board we should take Johnson.

He is the only DE that plays the LDE. The other DE's are RDE's that will have to change sides. RDE is the glamour position they get the sacks. The LDE does the dirty work.

People who question Johnsons motor should know that his motor was running to fast & his coaches told him to slow down @ the begining of games because they needed him to be able to rush the passer in the 4th quarter.

Johnson has great size @ 6'7 260 lbs. & runs a 4.65 40. He needs to add 20lbs of muscle but all of the other DE's need to add weight too. Maybe with a professional S&C coach his stamina will improve.

TTP talks about having an elite 1st step, Johnson has that. The games I saw him in he was great @ rushing the passer from the LDE spot which says smething because the RT got alot of help from the TE & RB chipping Johnson. Johnson put up stats as good as any DE in this draft playing LDE. He has problems holding the edge against the run because he lacks strength & technique. Both of these things can be taught through improved coaching. He also is fairly new to the position & has lots of room to grow.

Johnson is a Smithiak kind of player in that they draft intelligent player (Ga Tech) that have high upsides
Why would we put Johnson at LDE if we have Mario?

If Johnson doesn't have the stamina to go full out all game then that is another problem. Orakpo manages it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2009   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
looks pretty good on that reel but he has such a bad rap with his motor, i cant trust that. he looks talented though so i wouldnt be upset if we picked him @ 47 if orakpo, brown etc arent there at 15
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

If Johnson doesn't have the stamina to go full out all game then that is another problem. Orakpo manages it.
Agreed. If Orakpo & Brown are both gone I say trade back and take a DB. It would be very exciting to leave the 1st round with either Moore, Delmas, or Smith AND extra picks.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #10
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 7 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm hoppin on the Michael Johnson bandwagon. 6-7 260 he's versatile and could rotate in at DE and maybe a little LB?
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What school did he go to?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Georgia Tech
Old 02-11-2009   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Georgia Tech
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #14
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy has Rudy G-a-y syndrome. Physical tools to burn but he disappears for stretches in games and hasn't played up to everyone's expectations. He has been improving though and had a better senior season than people are giving him credit for. 15 tackles for loss and 7 sacks is not terrible production not to mention making some eye-popping plays including taking an int to the house. Would I spend the 15th pick on him? No. But if we trade down and it looks like some of the other DEs such as Kruger or Ayers will not be around for our 2nd round pick I would have to think long and hard on drafting Johnson.
Old 02-11-2009   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

MW plays RDE, They move him around in passing situations.

I would take Orakpo over Johnson although Orakpo's propensity to get injured bothers me.

Very few DL go all out every play. That's why teams rotate D-lineman.
Old 02-11-2009   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
This guy has Rudy G-a-y syndrome. Physical tools to burn but he disappears for stretches in games and hasn't played up to everyone's expectations. He has been improving though and had a better senior season than people are giving him credit for. 15 tackles for loss and 7 sacks is not terrible production not to mention making some eye-popping plays including taking an int to the house. Would I spend the 15th pick on him? No. But if we trade down and it looks like some of the other DEs such as Kruger or Ayers will not be around for our 2nd round pick I would have to think long and hard on drafting Johnson.
I would take Gay over Battier

comparison

I would take Johnson over Krueger
Old 02-11-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
MW plays RDE, They move him around in passing situations.

I would take Orakpo over Johnson although Orakpo's propensity to get injured bothers me.

Very few DL go all out every play. That's why teams rotate D-lineman.
Just so we can get this clear:

If we drafted Johnson, you would be in favor of putting him at LDE in running situations and keeping Mario at RDE?
Old 02-11-2009   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is around by our second round pick than I would be happy with the pick, but taking him at 15 is a reach IMO because there are some work ethic risks involved. That seems to be the biggest risk when evaluating prospects, that and off the field problems.

I think he is intriguing in some ways but questionable in others. I do think that he can be good against the run so I think he could play either LDE or RDE if he works out. If we were to draft him and it worked out it would be nice to be able to move those guys around.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
If he is around by our second round pick than I would be happy with the pick, but taking him at 15 is a reach IMO because there are some work ethic risks involved. That seems to be the biggest risk when evaluating prospects, that and off the field problems.

I think he is intriguing in some ways but questionable in others. I do think that he can be good against the run so I think he could play either LDE or RDE if he works out. If we were to draft him and it worked out it would be nice to be able to move those guys around.
TexansSeminole, since you're obviously a Seminole fan, can you shed any light on this snippet? I guess he's projected to be an OLB now too?

Quote:
Florida State DE Everette Brown reportedly played his final college game at only 225 pounds.

Brown is even less likely to stay at end than Aaron Maybin. Listed at 6'4/252 during his Seminole days, Brown is likely working feverishly to add weight. He remains a candidate to explode at the Combine in the forty and cone drills.
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL
Old 02-11-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
TexansSeminole, since you're obviously a Seminole fan, can you shed any light on this snippet? I guess he's projected to be an OLB now too?

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL
It would be hard to believe. When he was recruited out of high school he was listed at 235. This year he was listed at 254. He looks around 250 to me.

It doesn't seem logical because I have seem him throw down 300 lb lineman on numerous occasions and I doubt he did that at 225 lbs.

The combine will give us our measurables and this guy from a 49ers blog is probably 20 pounds off atleast. No way Brown could add 20 pounds in that time (since the bowl game against Wisconson in late December) and keep his quickness.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read