Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default How tradeable is Anthony Weaver?

Just got a thought in my head. Anthony Weaver was a good 3-4 DE before coming to Houston and is out of place as a 4-3 DE.

With all the new teams moving to a 3-4, I think that Weaver would be worth something to one of those teams. Most notably the Broncos and the Packers who are making the switch and who do not currently have all of the pieces in place. I realize that Weaver's contract makes a trade very tough to do but do any of you think its possible to do a sign and trade type deal?

I think we could get atleast a 5th for Weaver's pedigree as a starting 3-4 DE if his contract were restructured. I'm sure he'd like to go back to a role he was more successful at as well. This would give us another pick in the upcoming draft and allow us to get rid of one of our highest paid and underperforming players.
Old 02-10-2009   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How tradeable is Anthony Weaver?

his contract is too high
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think his salary is too high for a trading partner. The only reason he has a big cap number now is bc he was given way too much guaranteed. If we traded Weaver, whatever team gets him will have to pay him 3.5 million per year for the next 2 seasons. None will be guaranteed. Thats not really that high of a salary if he starts somewhere else, and he could always restructure or sign a new deal to procure additional guarantees and make his numbers more cap friendly
Old 02-10-2009   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Just got a thought in my head. Anthony Weaver was a good 3-4 DE before coming to Houston and is out of place as a 4-3 DE.

With all the new teams moving to a 3-4, I think that Weaver would be worth something to one of those teams. Most notably the Broncos and the Packers who are making the switch and who do not currently have all of the pieces in place. I realize that Weaver's contract makes a trade very tough to do but do any of you think its possible to do a sign and trade type deal?

I think we could get atleast a 5th for Weaver's pedigree as a starting 3-4 DE if his contract were restructured. I'm sure he'd like to go back to a role he was more successful at as well. This would give us another pick in the upcoming draft and allow us to get rid of one of our highest paid and underperforming players.
About the same as the Peso on the open market.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have NOT looked it up ,but , If I recall his average is about 40 tackles a year and(I might be generous) 5 sacks over his career ..average wise (if that)..

I don't think the guy tanks it ,but for a business standpoint and with that am't of flow going to him, i think you could get someone to do about the same with a lot less money

He has worked under RS so maybe he can breakout.. I don't know
Old 02-10-2009   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

..///
Old 02-10-2009   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver doesn't carry the trade value of a bag of balls. Much less a draft choice. If the Texans do the right thing, and cut him loose, Weaver won't get a contract above the vet minimum.

Weaver has been here 3 years, and Travis Johnson has been here for 4. They've shown nothing to deserve their contracts and were outplayed last season by street free agents. Cutting them will be addition by subtraction.
Old 02-10-2009   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a bad fit here from the beginning.....he's more of a 3-4 end than a 4-3 end. To answer your question though.....Weaver doesn't really have any trade value. Players like him are a dime a dozen in the middle rounds of drafts, he brings nothing special to the table really, and I can't wait for Houston to move on without him. Everytime he takes the field we're playing with one DE and 3 DTs on the Dline.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver has been useless in our defense since he's been here, but I think he would still be attractive to 3-4 teams looking for veteran help at the crucial end position. He may not have lit up the stat sheets in Houston, but his 50-ish tackles per year are about par or better than most 3-4 ends get in a season. His 5 (or less?) career sacks would fit nicely into that position as well

During the last 4-5 games of the season, when our defense suddenly looked "different" because of the playcalling, Weaver end up looking much much better than he ever had. He had an INT and a handful of tackles for a loss. Who knows, maybe he'll make some miraculous turn around
Old 02-10-2009   #10
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see us getting a draft pick for Weaver, but I could see a team that is switching to a 3-4 being willing to make a trade for Weaver, giving up a player in a similar situation who could play in a 4-3, but won't work in the 3-4. Basically, each team would be getting rid of a player they could easily get rid of anyway, and gets to try out a new player that might fit better. I'm not familiar enough with the Broncos or Packers to know whether they have such a player on their roster.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

To answer that question just know that Weaver and tradeable should not be used in the same sentence. With his contract he has no value to anybody. You could sign somebody that may not be as good, but who has 1/4 the price tag. A good deal for any team really.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a "contract restructure and trade" would be possible especially if you tell him that he can either do that or just get cut.

Either way, hopefully Rick Smith can get him to at least restructure. He should feel a little guilty with what he's bieng paid. I know that this is a bussiness, but the Texans ussually do the right thing with it's players. Look what they did with Carr, they could have been total a-holes, but they manned up.

Come on Anthony be a "Team Player"!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009   #13
TexansMVP
Probowler

Can someone jog my memory but was Weaver signed under Casserly or Smith?
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #14
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Weaver has been useless in our defense since he's been here, but I think he would still be attractive to 3-4 teams looking for veteran help at the crucial end position. He may not have lit up the stat sheets in Houston, but his 50-ish tackles per year are about par or better than most 3-4 ends get in a season. His 5 (or less?) career sacks would fit nicely into that position as well

During the last 4-5 games of the season, when our defense suddenly looked "different" because of the playcalling, Weaver end up looking much much better than he ever had. He had an INT and a handful of tackles for a loss. Who knows, maybe he'll make some miraculous turn around
As terrible as Weaver has been for us in the sack department he was actually serviceable as a 3-4 DE. 15.5 career sacks, only one of those coming with us in the last three years. So 14.5 with Baltimore in the 4 seasons he was there as a 3-4 DE. He was never a star but he was a very solid player. Quite a few thought his sack numbers would actually take a slight uptick if he signed with a 4-3 team. Man were they wrong. Count me as one of them, I was pleased when we signed him. Figured he would be a 5-6 sack a year guy who was solid against the run. I don't believe the decline in production is a product of the scheme switch, I just don't think he is the player that he once was, for whatever reason.

Anyway, with regard to the original question, players like Weaver do not get traded. He has been banged up with us and has had little to no production. Even without his signing bonus tacked on his contract wouldn't turn into nearly enough of a bargain to warrant a team giving up an asset to acquire him. If we draft a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds odds are he gets cut IMO. Maybe in the NBA were expiring contracts actually have value.
Old 02-11-2009   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansMVP View Post
Can someone jog my memory but was Weaver signed under Casserly or Smith?
Casserly was the GM, Kubiak was the coach, and he was signed in the FA period before the 2006 draft at a time where we probably didn't imagine Mario being the number 1 pick.
Old 02-11-2009   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Anthony Weaver, during his Texans tenure:

1 sack
2 interceptions

That's the only stat I need to see on him. Completely and utterly untradeable.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I think a "contract restructure and trade" would be possible especially if you tell him that he can either do that or just get cut.
In that scenario, Weaver would prefer being cut. Then he could sign with any team that wants him. If such a team exists.
Old 02-11-2009   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

If some team would hire Isiah Thomas as their GM we might have a chance.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver is a valuable "locker-room presence", as they say. After all, that seems to be a popular rationale for paying D-Rob guaranteed money at or approaching 23-25 M.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #20
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 7 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

We Might get a 7?
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read