Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2009   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Donald Brown - RB - UConn

I think this guy deserves his own thread. After watching and reading more and more about him, I'm completely floored. He would be my #1 rated RB for the Texans above Moreno, McCoy, Wells, Greene, etc. I can't see this guy making it to our pick in the 2nd round and think he's a sure fire 1st rounder.

There have been some great posts about him in the RB's thread (link below), I just thought he deserves a shrine... but could just make a thread.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57482

After being so against a 1st round RB or WR and knowing how much help we need on defense, I would love to get this guy if we could trade down some. If Slaton goes down... our offense goes from being #3 to being #30. I think a RB tandem of Slaton and Brown would be the best in the league. Better than Tennessee, Jacksonville, San Diego, Philadelphia, etc.

Ideally, it'd be great if we could trade down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd or a 3rd rounder.

This guy looks like Barry Sanders to me. He lacks the speed Barry had to pull away from NFL defenders, but Brown has got the moves down, stops on a dime, accelerates so quickly.

Take a look at these highlights against Virginia. Just imagine if he had NFL calibre blocking ahead of him instead of University of Connecticut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRCKzj0SNDE
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Donald Brown - RB - UConn

We talked about Brown before. He has that one cut and go thing about him that we look for in a RB but I heard he's not much of a grinder. Dont get me wrong I aint mad if we get him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I am on record being in favor of taking Brown in the 1st after a trade down. So yes he is my #1 RB in this draft for the Texans. He is 1 cut and go guy with break away speed. He is a solid blocker and can pick up the blitz.

He and Slaton would be a tandem the opposition would have to respect.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I am on record being in favor of taking Brown in the 1st after a trade down. So yes he is my #1 RB in this draft for the Texans. He is 1 cut and go guy with break away speed. He is a solid blocker and can pick up the blitz.

He and Slaton would be a tandem the opposition would have to respect.
That's the other thing we heard about him. A guy that went to UConn said he watched all of his games and said that if there was an area he lacked in it was pass blocking. However he did point to the fact that UConn hardly ever passed and that with proper NFL coaching he could develop nicely.
Old 02-10-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

UConn had a terrible QB so passing wasn't really an option for them.

I don't think anybody can really judge Brown's ability as a blocker because we just flat didn't see him asked to block in college.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
UConn had a terrible QB so passing wasn't really an option for them.

I don't think anybody can really judge Brown's ability as a blocker because we just flat didn't see him asked to block in college.

That's what I was saying. They guy pointed to the fact that UConn hardly passed so it was hard for him to judge him as a blocker because they probably never really drilled that at UConn.
Old 02-10-2009   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown looks like a good solid RB and will probably do well in the NFL. But, I just don't see the Texans taking a RB this high with all their other needs on defense. This draft, to me, seems to have a very good crop of RB's. No real superstars like Bush, AP, McFadden, etc.., but a solid group that will probably have some good backs in the 4th, 5th, and even 6th round who will be productive NFL RB's. That's where I think the Texans will pick one and maybe even 2, if we have some extra picks. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2009   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Brown looks like a good solid RB and will probably do well in the NFL. But, I just don't see the Texans taking a RB this high with all their other needs on defense. This draft, to me, seems to have a very good crop of RB's. No real superstars like Bush, AP, McFadden, etc.., but a solid group that will probably have some good backs in the 4th, 5th, and even 6th round who will be productive NFL RB's. That's where I think the Texans will pick one and maybe even 2, if we have some extra picks. JMHO!
Give Donald Brown, Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden all an identical contract and I would take Donald Brown. This guy just moves up the middle between the tackles where there isn't even a hole. Bush and McFadden made their college plays by consistently getting around the corner and beating everyone with their speed. Brown seems to be able to make the plays in between the tackles without having to bounce it outside. Peterson on the other hand... that guys just plain good.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #9
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I like Brown, but I'd take Shonn Greene to pair up with Slaton. Watch a few videos on youtube, he's a beast. Ran in a zone system at Iowa as well.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
I like Brown, but I'd take Shonn Greene to pair up with Slaton. Watch a few videos on youtube, he's a beast. Ran in a zone system at Iowa as well.
And he will be 25 come opening day, I like my RBs to be a little younger when I get them.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

For openers, the Texans using a first round pick on an offensive player, any position, is rather unlikely given team needs. But on the heels of the rookie year of the most celebrated and successful season a Texan back ever had in our history thanks to third-round pick Steve Slaton, I'd have to say that's a real long-shot.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Texans would be better served using a 2nd or 3rd on a C or G who can push the pile in goal line situations and grabbing a guy like Gartrell Johnson in the 5th than they would spending a 1st or 2nd on a premium back.

Just because we have another good RB doesn't take away the fact that our interior OL cant push the pile on 3rd and goal.
Old 02-11-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is where you need to evaluate talent for what it is regardless how he fits or doesn't fit into the Texans plans because of needs.

Donald Brown should get a 1st rd. grade but last into the 2nd. doubt all the way down to the Texans but if he did that would probably make him bpa. just not on the Texans board. might be an opportunity to trade down with another team who wants him?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As for UConn players, I fancy their OLB.
Old 02-12-2009   #15
was385
Rookie

And the best stiff arm in college football
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this is where you need to evaluate talent for what it is regardless how he fits or doesn't fit into the Texans plans because of needs.

Donald Brown should get a 1st rd. grade but last into the 2nd. doubt all the way down to the Texans but if he did that would probably make him bpa. just not on the Texans board. might be an opportunity to trade down with another team who wants him?
I would take him and be very happy.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
And the best stiff arm in college football
Since we're on the subject of running backs, maybe he can coach Jorvorskie Lane to stiff arm himself away from a table.
Old 02-12-2009   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
As for UConn players, I fancy their OLB.
Cody Brown ?
Old 02-12-2009   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Since we're on the subject of running backs, maybe he can coach Jorvorskie Lane to stiff arm himself away from a table.
Nice lol.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Cody Brown ?
They have two good junior LB's, Lawrence Wilson and Scott Lutrus. Maybe he is talking about one of them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read