Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2005   #41
J-Man
Veteran

Good post on comparing 3-4 OLBs InfantryCak...I wanted to expand on that theme a bit to make a point about our need to improve the pass rush. In the table below is shows the top 10 producers on the Steelers defense. Couple things struck me when I looked this up a minute ago. The #1 defense in the league did NOT have a double digit sack producer and how spread out the stats were across the team...Clearly Farrior, Polamalu, and Hope had great seasons but it is pretty clear that everybody on that side of the ball was working to make plays.
This is the great example of how the 3-4 works when things are meshing well. Everybody has opportunity to bring pressure on the QB and make plays, the flip side is ATL where Kerney and Coleman accounted for more than half the sacks of the whole team. I happen to think that protection schemes are much tougher when you have to account for all 11 guys with the potential for bringing the heat on your QB.
There is a lot of talk about how we MUST have a double digit sacker to save the defense. I think that with quality players that are allowed to develop in our system we could evolve into a similar preforming defense.

Player Tackle Assist Sacks INT
Aaron Smith 43 13 7.0 0
Joey Porter 54 17 7.0 1
Clark Haggans 38 8 6.0 0
Deshea Townsend 56 9 4.0 4
James Farrior 96 28 4.0 4
Larry Foote 69 16 3.0 1
Kimo Von Oelhoffen 24 8 1.0 0
Troy Polamalu 94 28 1.0 5
Willie Williams 54 14 1.0 1
Chris Hope 90 31 0.0 1

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

now that I've made Dan Cody the Jaguars 1st round draft choice in our little Mock Draft exercise, here is my opinion. Dan Cody would be an outstanding 3-4 linebacker for the Texans, he's bigger & stronger than Babin along with more experienced coming out of College than Babin although both are along the same lines in terms of effort & productivity. The major difference between the two is that Dan is more of a pass rusher while Jason is a better run stopper, so all Cappers would have to do is adjust their line positions ROLB & LOLB. Like Babin Dan is mature enough to become the starter as a rookie, can play on the line effectivley as a DE & open up the lanes to the QB.

along with the fact of the playoff success of teams using the 3-4 defense & other teams wanting to convert I would be very surprised if Dan Cody actually was still available when the Jaguars select (21st) but hey I'm not complaining
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #43
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well why dont we just put peek in there ? Peek is a premiere Pass Rusher and with babin on the other side i think that would be a dangerious Duo.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
...The major difference between the two is that Dan is more of a pass rusher while Jason is a better run stopper, so all Cappers would have to do is adjust their line positions ROLB & LOLB...
I'm a little confused. Whom do you see playing ROLB & LOLB? I'd also like to point out that Babin was a big time pass rusher in college. Which guy will be the better pro is TBD.
Old 01-25-2005   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I'm a little confused. Whom do you see playing ROLB & LOLB? I'd also like to point out that Babin was a big time pass rusher in college. Which guy will be the better pro is TBD.
Cappers would decide, I think they would be easily interchangable depending on specific schemes & creating mis-matches. If your asking me then I would say leave Babin @ LOLB and bring in Cody @ ROLB. Remember there is a distinct size difference Babin being around 6'2" 260 lbs. & Cody still a lean 6'5" 270 lbs. The playmaking combination of the two could be dynamic @ OLB.

To your second point yes Babin was a big time pass rusher @ Western Michigan which is in the Mid-American Conference, not to take anything away from him but its does not compare to the level of competition @ quality of program @ the University of Oklahoma or the Big 12 Conference or even the quality & level of competition Cody faced USC, BCS bowls etc....
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #46
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well why dont we just put peek in there ? Peek is a premiere Pass Rusher and with babin on the other side i think that would be a dangerious Duo.

EXACTLY, there is no point in drafting a 1st round OLB, they already have babin and peek. If they get some help from the dline, maybe shaun cody not dan, then they would be fine. You got two guys that can play on this team already, but they cant make plays if they are double teamed all the time. Get them some help and you will have the future Vrables, Porters, FOLEYS, or whoever you want to name. OLB was probably the one position that had the least amount of problems this past season.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if we used our top pick on Cody if he's on the Board for us,
since we have > needs than OLB this year and he's not a freak.
But if somehow Derrick Johnson or Merriman (the Maryland underclassman coming out early who reportedly is a freak ), were available
we might use our first on them. Either one of those guys (including the Maryland DE), could play any of the LB spots for us. But I think we'll go DL with our first pick - assuming we don't get a DL guy in FA. Too much uncertainty with Seth (the hard luck guy with injuries), and G.Walker is
obviously way past his prime and it's a long downhill ride for him now.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2005   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
To your second point yes Babin was a big time pass rusher @ Western Michigan which is in the Mid-American Conference, not to take anything away from him but its does not compare to the level of competition @ quality of program @ the University of Oklahoma...
No it doesn't. But in 3 career starts vs. Big 10 schools (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue), Babin averaged 7 tackles, 3.3 TFL, and 2 sacks per game. So when Babin did face quality competition, he fared extremely well.

The discussion on Dan Cody reminds me of the debate last year on whether Will Smith could translate to 34 OLB. Smith was (and is) a legit DE prospect and not a tweener. But, he did have the type of athleticism that would make you consider OLB a possibility. Cody is not a tweener. He's a legit NFL RDE prospect. But, he may have the ability to play the 34 OLB. Right now I would put Dan Cody in the same column as David Pollard. Might be a 34 OLB, but is a better 43 RDE right now.
Old 01-25-2005   #49
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

This team doesnt need another freak at OLB, Peek is quite a freak himself. The guy is 250 runs near a 4.5, has between a 35 and 40 inch vertical, and has been with the team two years learning the system. He is going to pan out if they give him a chance
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Cody is a little taller than Payne and right under 300 pounds (Payne is 303) at his Sr Bowl weigh in. I think he may be large enough to be an end in the 3-4 I think. He will probably gain another solid 10 to 15 pounds in the NFL. I don't think he can play the linebacker at the next level.

*edit....I am talking about the other Cody....carry on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
This team doesnt need another freak at OLB, Peek is quite a freak himself. The guy is 250 runs near a 4.5, has between a 35 and 40 inch vertical, and has been with the team two years learning the system. He is going to pan out if they give him a chance
That didn't stop the Patriots from signing Colvin or McGinest. We still need impact linebackers. A "couple of good ones" is not enough if you are going to run a proper 3-4

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #52
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
*edit....I am talking about the other Cody....carry on.
That's OK. Shaun won the BCS game, he deserves some love. Read where the Pats were all over Shaun at the Senior Bowl check-in, so they must think he can play the 34 DE.

Speaking of the BCS game, there's a rumor that Dan Cody asked one of the USC O-lineman to run the ball and get the game over. Weird.
Old 01-25-2005   #53
Wild Bill
Rookie

Default Need for DT

What we need is a run stopper at the Nose Tackle position much the Tony Saragusa/Sam Adams/Casey Hampton type. Guys who required at least two O-Lineman to account for them in blocking schemes for run plays and pass blocking.

The word has it that Travis Johnson from Florida State can be that kind of player. He has the size and strength but has problems staying healthy.

The Texans are in a bad position in this draft because there is simply not that many 'impact' Pro Bowl potential players in this draft, much less at number 13.

I would be in favor of seeing them trade down if they are not interested in draft Johnson to get an O-Lineman like Munoz from Tennessee, who can be had later in the first round.

We need help protecting David Carr. No matter if we had a receiving core of A. Johnson, R. Moss, T. Owens, and whoever else you want to throw in there, it won't help if Carr can get more than 2 seconds drop back and find his receivers.

What's ya'll thoughts on that????
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #54
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
I would be in favor of seeing them trade down if they are not interested in draft Johnson to get an O-Lineman like Munoz from Tennessee, who can be had later in the first round.
We need help protecting David Carr. No matter if we had a receiving core of A. Johnson, R. Moss, T. Owens, and whoever else you want to throw in there, it won't help if Carr can get more than 2 seconds drop back and find his receivers.
They have left the impression that they are going to go with the W & W
combo, and therefor would not use our first round pick on an O tackle this
draft. But I'm with you on a DT - that's their top priority for the 13th.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #55
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
That's OK. Shaun won the BCS game, he deserves some love. Read where the Pats were all over Shaun at the Senior Bowl check-in, so they think must think he can play the 34 DE.

Speaking of the BCS game, there's a rumor that Dan Cody asked one of the USC O-lineman to run the ball and get the game over. Weird.
He was caught on camera saying he couldn't wait to catch the next red-eye back to Oklahoma.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read