Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Isn't that a crime to take a camera in the film room and record it??? If so would the tape be admissable as evidence in his suit since he aquired it illegaly?
I believe the recording of a conversation, whether it's audio or video or both, is permissable as evidence. The only question is this: Did the person recording the conversation "bait" or somehow entrap the offender?

I think, if I remember right from my journalism days in college, that at least one person in the recording must give permission to be recorded. So the player doing the recording obviously gives his permission.

I know we have at least one person on here who is a lawyer, so maybe he can provide insight.

Here's the link to a site dealing with recording TELEPHONE conversations:Laws On Recording Phone Conversations

Texas is a state where at least one person must give consent to being recorded. The person recording their own conversation with others thus counts as the one person needed. If you set up a recorder, then leave the room; however, you have committed a felony. I suppose the reasoning is that when YOU are present, the other parties are aware of your presence and can guard against doing something...but, if you hide the camera and go away--You are capturing private moments; moments you're not a part of. That whole "peeping tom" thing I suppose.

....having a hard time finding the law on video, though.

Last edited by GP; 02-05-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2009   #102
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

I have a feeling this could hurt us when FA's begin looking at the Texans. I don't want a negative feeling of "Will the Texans protect me?"
Old 02-05-2009   #103
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, this is not good.

Especially if it ends up costing us a 4th rounder.

What possible GOOD could have been gained from doing those drills? Just as a "I'm the boss and you'll do what I say" sort of thing? Trying to get an early jump on other teams?

Seems pretty dumb, if you ask me. The reward does not outweigh the risk, IMO.
Old 02-05-2009   #104
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Looks like little Dickie is having a field day with this one. *LINK*

I responded to his drivel, but I'm sure it won't make it past his editing capabilities LOL So I'll double post it here for our own laughter

"You're well on your way to getting that job in Nashville Richard. All you need is to get your hair cut in a mullet. Your IQ and writing skills meet the qualifications. Good luck with that!"
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 02-05-2009   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Looks like little Dickie is having a field day with this one. *LINK*

I responded to his drivel, but I'm sure it won't make it past his editing capabilities LOL So I'll double post it here for our own laughter

"You're well on your way to getting that job in Nashville Richard. All you need is to get your hair cut in a mullet. Your IQ and writing skills meet the qualifications. Good luck with that!"
Uhh...LOL...yeah, your comment is not going to make the cut.

I like your style, though!
Old 02-05-2009   #106
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Yeah, mine won't go through, but he lets every retard Longhorn fan scream fire Kubiak because he's an Aggie, and they wonder why folks think they're asshats?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 02-05-2009   #107
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW - This doesn't look good and will almost certainly cost the team "something". If it does cost them the 4th-rounder it has to stop immediately and forever.

"Sour Grapes" from Injured/IR/Cut players or not, it's in the CBA and all players involved have a case. Most people on the board have no issue with fining a player for violating the terms of his contract - I think the standard needs to go both ways.

While we may all argue that athletes, entertainers, etc. all get paid too much for their "body of work", it IS still a contract agreed to by BOTH parties. The players have a right to expect the 'other side' to live up to their end of the bargain.

Even if it was a freak accident, a jury would likely say that if the Texans weren't engaging in (as far as the contract goes) illegal behavior, then these gentlemen might NOT be contemplating the end of their careers.

As much as it pains me to say this.... Except for the required swipe at Rick Smith that RJ felt the need to take, his article is fairly spot-on. The Texans try to portray themselves as the "White Knights" without character issues. This event calls that perception into question.

My guess is that the Texans are getting ready to be 'stung' by the NFL for this infraction, but little more. In the grand scheme of things, the public lawsuit could do FAR more damage to the teams' reputation than the loss of (at most) a 4th rounder.
Old 02-05-2009   #108
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
FWIW - This doesn't look good and will almost certainly cost the team "something". If it does cost them the 4th-rounder it has to stop immediately and forever.

"Sour Grapes" from Injured/IR/Cut players or not, it's in the CBA and all players involved have a case. Most people on the board have no issue with fining a player for violating the terms of his contract - I think the standard needs to go both ways.

While we may all argue that athletes, entertainers, etc. all get paid too much for their "body of work", it IS still a contract agreed to by BOTH parties. The players have a right to expect the 'other side' to live up to their end of the bargain.

Even if it was a freak accident, a jury would likely say that if the Texans weren't engaging in (as far as the contract goes) illegal behavior, then these gentlemen might NOT be contemplating the end of their careers.

As much as it pains me to say this.... Except for the required swipe at Rick Smith that RJ felt the need to take, his article is fairly spot-on. The Texans try to portray themselves as the "White Knights" without character issues. This event calls that perception into question.

My guess is that the Texans are getting ready to be 'stung' by the NFL for this infraction, but little more. In the grand scheme of things, the public lawsuit could do FAR more damage to the teams' reputation than the loss of (at most) a 4th rounder.
Brilliantly said. Bravo.

Rep your way.

And all it does is give RJ a boost, btw, for the Texans to have pulled this stupid stuff. I don't think it goes deeper than this. But if it does, then I will be very saddened that my team operates this way. If we can't go out and get some guys with questionable and shaky character issues, then why are sitting there breaking rules as if character and integrity DOESN'T matter.

Dumb move. Period.
Old 02-05-2009   #109
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schlereth & King say this is a standard practice in all NFL mini camps.

These guys are bitter because they got cut. Stephenson recorded practices hoping to get paid once he saw that he couldn't cut it & was going to be cut.

I'm not suprised by Dick Justices response because he is a pansy.

All of the good teams do hand-chicken fighting. I dont consider these to be contract drills anymore than 2 kids playig slap jack on the playground.
Old 02-05-2009   #110
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schlereth & King say this is a standard practice in all NFL mini camps.

These guys are bitter because they got cut. Stephenson recorded practices hoping to get paid once he saw that he couldn't cut it & was going to be cut.

I'm not suprised by Dick Justices response because he is a pansy.

All of the good teams do hand-chicken fighting. I dont consider these to be contract drills anymore than 2 kids playig slap jack on the playground.
The team saw enough in Stevenson to keep him on IR all yaer, so in other words he was not cut.
Old 02-05-2009   #111
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My take is here...."Hey the Texans are featured on ESPN! Oh wait, this is ungood."

On its face, this looks not good. That being said, I figure we should let the whole process come out because we don't have everyone's point of view. I can't fathom an innocent reason for the video, but who knows, maybe there is one.

Oh, and this is another illustration of a story becoming a bigger one if there is video. ESPN wouldn't have run this story but for the hidden video. Stories with video always get bigger run than stories without video.
Old 02-05-2009   #112
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

I'm still pissed that this could cost the team a draft pick.
I thought the NFL had already investigated this and rejected it.
Old 02-05-2009   #113
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fred Weary is going against Stevenson. Makes it much more interesting. He's backing the Texans. There are alot of good quotes so give it a read.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...ills_Offseason
Old 02-05-2009   #114
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I thought the NFL had already investigated this and rejected it.
I think the Management Commitee denied one of Stevenson's claims, but I don't think the NFL has investigate the team for this yet.
Old 02-05-2009   #115
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I never have been to any of the practices, my first thought is that you have a bunch of guys going through drills, And esp the ones that are fighting to make the team, get a little competitive or tries to make a first impression on the coaching staff (even without pads) and the competitive fire starts going between players and they start to do a little more... Coaches see this and even though it is no contact, don't condone it or doesn't encourage it..

could I be off here?

silly as this may sound , when I go out and practice softball now, even at 38, I say before practice, that I won't do this or do that, but once I am out in the outfield, I end up going full out, diving for balls if I have to. As a kid playing other sports, even messing around, I went full out.. Dad had taught me that "you practice how you play"

Now I know this is apples and oranges to an NFL player and what they do, I just wonder if some of the guys mindsets are about the same. Non contact drills and once you get someone going against you, one DE is going through the motions and wants to just "show a bit more and get past the OL", the offensive linemen shows a little more competitiveness "shows a little more" to keep the DE in check , so to speak

I may be misunderstanding the whole process that goes on in the non-contact drills, so someone ,please, set me straight if my thinking is wrong
this was my thoughts earlier and I am not saying it is right or wrong

Quote:
Regarding the alleged rules violations by the Texans, Weary acknowledged they happened, but he also said the Texans tried to take precautions against anyone getting hurt.

"It did happen," Weary said. "Guys did get hurt. The coaches stopped them after that.

"In the Texans' defense they did tell us what was going on. They did give us parameters, like going half-speed during the drills. But when guys are trying to make the team, those parameters go out the window."

Weary recalled one such instance involving Texans defensive tackle Tim Bulman.

"Coaches will say we're not trying to hurt anyone and they would ask the offensive guys to let the defensive guys finish the drill," Weary said. But you've got guys like Tim Bulman, who was a practice squad guy at the time.

"He bull-rushes a guy and the offensive lineman has to be a football player and understand this is not half-speed. He becomes competitive and sometimes people get hurt."
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...ills_Offseason
Old 02-05-2009   #116
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Why has this story just now come out?? It happened in May 2008 and now Dan Stevenson decides to go public with it?

Thanks to Premier
Old 02-05-2009   #117
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Why has this story just now come out?? It happened in May 2008 and now Dan Stevenson decides to go public with it?

The whole thing seems fishy to me.
Old 02-05-2009   #118
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The whole thing seems fishy to me.
That's why I think many are over-reacting. It probably would be a non-issue if espn wouldn't have gotten ahold of it.
Old 02-05-2009   #119
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried about it. Losing a draft pick would suck, but these are the kinds of things that get forgotten after a little while.

And no, this won't stop me from rooting for the team, or even looking at them in a different light.

Fred Weary respect-o-meter status: Stratospheric
Old 02-05-2009   #120
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Most people who have been done wrong by their employer would prefer to work it out with them. If that doesn't work, then they take the next step.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read