Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009   #81
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1627 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
And end up with the same result as us when it comes to Super Bowls.
That's not the point...
Old 02-05-2009   #82
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1627 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Maybe y'all should have cheated against Baltimore then...
We tried paying the refs but they went all Mike Miller on us...
Old 02-05-2009   #83
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's try to keep this thread on subject and keep the smack talk in the proper forum.

===========

I wonder how the "survival of the fittest" theory will sound if it is an Eric Winston type that gets hurt the next time.
Old 02-05-2009   #84
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am missing it, is there a video link somewhere of the practice?

I am the the main site but don't see it
Old 02-05-2009   #85
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I am missing it, is there a video link somewhere of the practice?

I am the the main site but don't see it
Espin has a clip on their site. It shows a couple of seconds of hand fighting. Kinda lame if you ask me.
Old 02-05-2009   #86
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Thanks for pissing off the rest of the team. Now OTA's will be soft and short but training camp will be the most brutal that the team has ever had. They will have to put in the extra work that they missed. Alex Gibbs probably wants this guy booted out of there so bad. LOL

I'm still not clear on what the players are missing if they don't have early contact drills with no pads. There is plenty of wear and tear on these guys' bodies through the season. Extra hitting at OTAs isn't going to make them less injury prone the last few games of the year; if anything it will have the opposite effect.
Old 02-05-2009   #87
Bulluck53
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Let's try to keep this thread on subject and keep the smack talk in the proper forum.

===========

I wonder how the "survival of the fittest" theory will sound if it is an Eric Winston type that gets hurt the next time.
I agree, damn.

Seriously, though. This is a non-issue from an outside fan. Cheating is the wrong word for this, it was just a bad decision. It isn't comparable to Spygate or steroids or whatever like ESPN's Bottomline seems to want it to be. Bad decision that Kubiak and Co. will pay for. Really sucks that those guys got hurt but were those injuries a direct result of these drills?
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2009   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The point is rules were established and allegedly broken by the managment. You might not like to stop for red lights but that is a rule. Damage occured due to the violation and victims should be re-imbursed. It is amazing to me how many say "well it was a little rule or it did not kill'em or they would not have made the team". It does not matter. Cheating should not be laughed at. Thousand of children watch sports only to learn cheating or hitting the girl friend or wife is OK as long as it does not keep him from helping his team.

If Texans violated a rule, suck it up and pay the freight and go on. McNair is known for wanting quality character players. How about Kubes showing some character and stop breaking the rules?
Old 02-05-2009   #89
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
I agree, damn.

Seriously, though. This is a non-issue from an outside fan. Cheating is the wrong word for this, it was just a bad decision. It isn't comparable to Spygate or steroids or whatever like ESPN's Bottomline seems to want it to be. Bad decision that Kubiak and Co. will pay for. Really sucks that those guys got hurt but were those injuries a direct result of these drills?

And I agree with you that as far as "cheating" goes, this is small potatoes. In fact, I don't think doing it offers any competitive advantage.

It does however affect how the players perceive their coaches and the team as a whole. I'm not just talking about the ones that are complaining, I'm talking about the entire roster. Most of the players don't like it, and they all know it not supposed to be done. It is just another sign management thinks of them as pieces of meat.

Put yourself in the shoes of a player - do you think it makes the player respect the coach and credit him as "tough" just because he abuses his authority?
Old 02-05-2009   #90
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the most damning thing for Kubiak is that the player reps told him that the drills were a violation, and yet he continued to run them.
Old 02-05-2009   #91
Bulluck53
All Pro

No, but to be honest I didn't play football in high school because I hated the coach so I may not be the one to ask.

I understand that the players may frown upon this but they didn't have pads on. How much contact could they have had? I'm on the fence on this one. If no one had been hurt would the players have been upset? I know "ifs and buts" and I know that someone indeed was injured but I just don't understand the big deal. It was very unfortunate that someone got hurt but I don't see the big picture as a big deal. People break the rules all the time. This one backfired more than some others.

And Badboy, I get what you're saying and definetly agree with you. It was cheating, someone got screwed out of a job because of it, and they should be reimbursed. Not to be a smart ass to ya but I do speed, I did drink before I was 21, I have smoked pot before, and teams break rules all the time (you think the Pats were the only ones taping signals? And remember my Fisher having a verbal agreement with Chris Simms when he was cut then re-signed this season? Hell there have been reports of offers made to Hyanesworth already by several different teams.) Teams cheat and wont stop doing so until they get hurt as a direct result (just like I probably won't stop speeding until I get a ticket or worse).

EDIT: to summarize I don't think this should be looked at as a burden towards Kubiak or the Texans

Last edited by Bulluck53; 02-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2009   #92
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Carl Mauk, Mike Webster, Art Shell, and all of the old school O-Linemen would laugh at these guys.

BTW, I've never heard of pads preventing torn labrums. Maybe MLB pitchers ought to start wearing shoulder pads if it helps...
Old 02-05-2009   #93
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Why did he participate if he's just going to complain about it later? Don't do the (practicing) if you can't do the (injury).

Man's game
Old 02-05-2009   #94
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
oh damn, I think I just got served.

You're right, the responses would be different. But Eric would probably have the decency of keeping this stuff private instead of blabbing to the media about it like that Stevenson chump.
Old 02-05-2009   #95
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Carl Mauk, Mike Webster, Art Shell, and all of the old school O-Linemen would laugh at these guys.

BTW, I've never heard of pads preventing torn labrums. Maybe MLB pitchers ought to start wearing shoulder pads if it helps...

I don't think Mike Webster is a good example to use to promote more contact with less pads.

Of course, who cares if players are crippled, demented, or dead by fifty? Their careers are over and they can't help the team anyway.
Old 02-05-2009   #96
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain wieghts in:
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/02/t...ey_dont_l.html

Quote:
The Texans better hope the NFL investigation doesn't turn up multiple violations of their offseason workout policy. If it does, they could lose a fourth-round draft choice as spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement.

At best, the team will lose a week of organized team activities for conducting illegal one-on-one blocking drills between offensive and defensive linemen. Coach Gary Kubiak can expect a fine that will be donated to charity. The CBA says the head coach can't be reimbursed by the team.
I'm still pissed that this could cost the team a draft pick.
Old 02-05-2009   #97
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Mike Webster is a good example to use to promote more contact with less pads.

Of course, who cares if players are crippled, demented, or dead by fifty? Their careers are over and they can't help the team anyway.
In retrospect you're right, Webster, not so much. Mauck, Shell and numerous other tough guys are doing fine though. This is why Australian Rules Football and Rugby players laugh at American Football.
Old 02-05-2009   #98
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
oh damn, I think I just got served.
You could have responded, "he's one of the fit; he won't get hurt".
Old 02-05-2009   #99
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You could have responded, "he's one of the fit; he won't get hurt".
Heck yeah, he's one of the fit. If running from T-Rex's and dragging Brontosaurus legs back to the cave won't get a dude in optimal shape, nothing will.
Old 02-05-2009   #100
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Dick Justice's take:
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice..._messed_u.html

I bet you can't guess how it reads?

And yes I know I had promised myself to not read The Media's drivel again, but this might be something fairly important about the team.
*Spergs out on keyboard*
*Posts what comes out to chron.com*
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read