Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009   #201
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, I guess that's YOUR opinion. I find it curious that you are essentially speculating when you theorize how it was that Kris Brown and Breuner went to Kubiak. You always rail on those who speculate, and here you are doing that very thing.
Watch closely, the difference really isn't hard to see. I didn't say, as you so often do, "this is what happened." I said there is context we don't know and it may have gone down like X. Bruener's silence sure doesn't point towards his agreement with Stevenson.

Quote:
It's obvious you think those guys are extorting the Texans, pissed off about not making the team, looking for a payday, etc.
Extorting, no. Working to their own advantage, yes. The Texans broke the rules and need to compensate the players. Fans acting like this reflects something about the Texans distinct from any other team are the ones I think are naive.

Quote:
I think they did an admirable thing.
Give me a break. If they hadn't been injured they would have said jack. This is self interest plain and simple. Nothing admirable about it.

Quote:
Anybody who goes this far to support "the team" at the expense of individuals who make up "the team" is puzzling. If it was a number 1 draft pick who had this happened to him, a pro-bowl guy, we'd all be sending letters and emails to the Texans in disgust of what happened.

The Texans come across exactly how they should: They broke the rules, guys got hurt during drills that should not have happened. The responsibility is upon the coaching and management staff. Period. This is not how a man with integrity should lead those whom he in-turn asks to live a life of integrity. This is inexcusable. Our team SHOULD be punished. Any teams doing this should be punished. Period.
Step down from your sanctimonious soap box. You just enjoy being hyper-critical of the Texans. If a news report had come out with Kubiak announcing the Texans would not engage in the NFL wide practice of having one on ones and some contact when they shouldn't you would be railing on them for being too soft and unwilling to do what is necessary to win.

The Texans violated the rule and it is unfortunate someone got hurt. The Texans should deal fairly with the players hurt. The fact that the Texans violated the rule says zilch about them as an institution since the problem is league wide. If the league wants to do something about it they should do enough to get every team to stop so teams don't feel like they are at a competitive disadvantage if they don't do it.
Old 02-08-2009   #202
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans players say they had illegal contract drills at 2008 mini-camp"

Narrator: Black, meanwhile, is getting back into shape, having signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Black: I'm looking forward to it, you know a change of venue, a fresh start. Everybody there: great guys, great coaches. I'm excited about being there.

Chucky Okobi, the third player injured in those drills during the minicamp, was released in June and has not signed with another team. Stevenson remains on the Texans roster, but wonders if he will ever play again. When the injury first happened, Stevenson says, Houston's medical staff said he had "...strained right shoulder blocking during minicamp at Reliant..." After it failed to improve, he received a second opinion from Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal Elattrache. Dr. Elattrache diagnosed multiple tears in Stevenson's right shoulder. (Shows document on screen of Dr.'s diagnosis of "Posterior labral tear, small posterior capsule tear, right shoulder in addition to posterior Bankart lesion.")

Narrator to Stevenson: What concerns did you have, at that point, that this had happened at a drill other players said should not have happened?

Stevenson: I was a little worried that they were going to try and cover it up, or try to kinda' hide the fact that I was hurt.

Narrator to TV audience: Stevenson began collecting information. He asked the team for the original trainer's report of his injury which said he had been injured during blocking drills. When he was placed on injured reserve in July, however, the report said he was injured "Participating in drills during an Organized Team Activity" He knew teammates would be reluctant to speak out against the Texans, but Jordan Black and another teammate, Fred Weary, signed sworn affidavits backing Stevenson's version of events.

Stevenson: I felt like for all this to be taken away from me, to be jeopardized, you know, not just for one season, but my entire football career, for something that wasn't supposed to be done, I was upset. And I felt like people weren't giving me the answers that I needed.
Old 02-08-2009   #203
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
This is the same thing as colleges cheating in recruiting . It's a mindset that if you aren't cheating you ain't trying or nice guys finish last . You guys who are so appalled I guess never paracticed in the gymm in July in highschool .

The point is the NFL or NCAA will not come down on any off it because it weakens the product . Like Cak said ... the Texans had a couple of guys who told ... even taped it . It's fuuny that nobody else has come forward and Weary says Stephenson duped him .
It shows that you and a few others don't care about rules.

You can't interpret, on your own, what rules to follow and which to disobey. You are to follow the rules set out beforehand.

If your boss decided to only pay you every third month instead of more regularly, would you agree that that's fair to you? No. You signed on with your employer for the terms laid out in the interview and job acceptance stage of the agreement.

Look, you don't get it because you have a bent toward a way of thinking: Everyone cheats a little, everyone fudges things a little, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is that three guys got hurt. Maybe they weren't all that instrumental to the team's overall chances of success. But they are PEOPLE and they were harmed. And they were harmed in a reckless manner because of the inability of coaches and management staff to adhere by the rules of the CBA. It works both ways, fellas'.
Old 02-08-2009   #204
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Step down from your sanctimonious soap box. You just enjoy being hyper-critical of the Texans. If a news report had come out with Kubiak announcing the Texans would not engage in the NFL wide practice of having one on ones and some contact when they shouldn't you would be railing on them for being too soft and unwilling to do what is necessary to win.

The Texans violated the rule and it is unfortunate someone got hurt. The Texans should deal fairly with the players hurt. The fact that the Texans violated the rule says zilch about them as an institution since the problem is league wide. If the league wants to do something about it they should do enough to get every team to stop so teams don't feel like they are at a competitive disadvantage if they don't do it.
I do not "enjoy" being hyper-critical of the Texans. Now you're trying to build a strawman and burn it down. You'd fit in nicely with the same coaches who act with impunity toward the rules set forth in contractual agreements.

Come out and say it: You think this is bogus. And if you think this is bogus, then you indeed stand a great chance of wanting to somehow plant a seed in posters' heads that there just mayyyyyybe could have been a way that Brown and Breuner went to Kubiak out of obligation and not out of real concern for a teammate's health. That's speculation.

What I know of Kris Brown is that he is a man of integrity and character. I choose to believe that he went ot of genuine concern for the players. And what I know of Kubiak is that he might be more of a jerk than he is a guy who cares for his players: His aloof statements about Diles' injury "Where there is tragedy, there is opportunity..." etc.

When guys like Jerome Mathis get a pink slip, I applaud the team's coaches and management. We do not need guys who cause headaches.

When guys like Stevenson, Black, and Okobi get hurt during drills that were 100% NOT to have happened at all, and the Texans (a) refuse to pay for Black's surgery, and (b) send him compensation and yet try to state this is not "pay-off" money, then I have a problem with that.

I'm a fan of this team, despite any attempts you make to persuade others that I am not.

If Bob McNair wants to hang his hat on being this squeaky-clean team, refusing to even look at certain available players due to said players' conduct, then he needs to man up and deal with Kubiak and Smith. Maybe he already has. We wouldn't know it.

I want to post the rest of the interview, it's almost over, but wonder if it would even matter. It seems there's a set way of thinking in our culture that you do not EVER snitch on a coach that it seems useless.

If anybody wants the remainder of the interview, let me know.

I am battling sever bronchitis, flu, and all the lovely symptoms that go along with it. I need to take a cup of NyQuil and go to bed (again).
Old 02-08-2009   #205
GP 
Go Texans!

Outside The Lines: Sunday, Feb. 8th 2009

Stevenson: "There's a reason, you know, that drills like these are prohibited in the off-season. Football is dangerous enough as it is, there's high risk of injury. And when you're not wearing the proper pads, you're not protected."

Narrator: During a minicamp practice that the public never saw, offensive lineman Dan Stevenson, trying to make his third team in three years, suffered a shoulder injury that he says might have ended his NFL career. Stevenson filed a grievance against the Texans, saying he was hurt during "Prohibited full contact drills during an offseason minicamp with reckless disregard for the players' health." The NFL management counsel rejected his grievance, citing, among other factors, that the "Texans deny players were required to participate in drills which are explicitly prohibited."

Narrator to Stevenson, as they watch the video clips of the drills: Why did you think to tape this?

Stevenson: I just wanted to see it. I kinda' wanted to see for myself.

Narrator: Why did you tape it?

Stevenson: I think that they can obviously no longer deny that this drill ever happened.

Narrator as the clip turns from showing the drills, to then showing Stevenson's video footage of a Texans computer in Texans offices: What does this tell us?

Stevenson: This is how they break down film.

Narrator: Stevenson took a video camera into the Texans meeting room, and recorded the team's video of the practice off a computer terminal.

Narrator to Stevenson: It seems like you had more in mind than just to shoot the drill, that you knew you had to establish when it was, as much information as you could get.

Stevenson: Without a doubt.

Narrator, as TV shows the Texans' computer monitor playing the archived drill: This is May 9th, 2008...The Texans were prohibited from holding contact drills.

Narrator to Stevenson: What are we seeing here?

Stevenson: Right here you see that it's obviously a one-on-one pass rush drill at the minicamp.

Narrator to TV audience (as the NFL document is shown on screen): Article 36, section 4 of the CBA reads "There will be no contact work (e.g. "live" blocking,...)" According to Stevenson, and several other eye witnesses, Kris Brown, the team's union representative, and Mark Breuner, a member of the union's executive committee, confronted head coach Gary Kubiak and told him that the drill was prohibited. Both Breuner and Brown declined to speak to Outside The Lines. (holy crap balls!)

Stevenson to Narrator: So, uh, the players weren't happy. The player reps went to the coaches and said, you know, one-on-one, it's strictly prohibited. We can show you in the CBA where it says, you know, any type of live blocking drill, i.e. one-on-one pass rush is strictly prohibited. When they came back to us, the coaching staff pretty much said they were going to do what they wanted to do and run practices as they see fit.

Narrator to Stevenson: What kind of pads are you guys wearing?

Stevenson: Just helmets.

Narrator to Stevenson: During that first day, how intense did it get?

Stevenson: Ummm...it got very intense. Players were, like I said, trying to make the team, you know, and people were getting put on their backs. People were getting knocked over. Guys are getting pancaked. It's all out.

Jordan Black to the camera: Oh, it's full speed. I mean, you're there doing the drills, trying to make an impression on the coach.

Narrator to TV audience (as clip is shown): Lineman Jordan Black actually ripped a teammate's helmet off (vs. #96, Cochran I think).

Black: Pride is a big thing. Nobody wants to, uh, get beat by another player. You just always want to win out there.

Stevenson: It's what you need to do to survive. There's no gettin' around it. If the coach asks you to do something, umm, what are you going to do but go and try to show that you're good enough to make the 53-man roster?

Narrator to TV audience: The next day at practice, coaches ran the same drill at the same speed. Stevenson's first drill was his last. (clip is shown of Stevenson blocking #67)

Stevenson to narrator, as they watch the clip: I'm blocking him, blocking him, and bam! my arm goes.

Narrator to Stevenson: It's why you pulled back like that? (He says "Yes") Did you know right away? (He answers "Instantly")

Narrator to TV audience: Jordan Black was one of two other players who suffered season-ending injuries that day.

Black: I was going to punch the defensive end, he was trying to get around the outside of me, and he went to slap my arm off--so he could get that corner--as soon as he slapped my arm it just rotated, twisted, and my arm came out of its socket.

Narrator to TV audience (showing Jordan Black's "Notice of Termination" papers sent to him on June 9, 2008): A month after the incident, the Texans terminated Black. He says the team argued that he had NOT suffered an injury during the workout, and he was forced to pay for his own surgery. In September (showing the actual letter from Texans to Black) the Texans agreed to reimburse his medical bills. But even as they did, they noted that the payment "...does not constitute evidence nor any admission of the club's liability..."

Narrator: Black, meanwhile, is getting back into shape, having signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Black: I'm looking forward to it, you know a change of venue, a fresh start. Everybody there: great guys, great coaches. I'm excited about being there.

Chucky Okobi, the third player injured in those drills during the minicamp, was released in June and has not signed with another team. Stevenson remains on the Texans roster, but wonders if he will ever play again. When the injury first happened, Stevenson says, Houston's medical staff said he had "...strained right shoulder blocking during minicamp at Reliant..." After it failed to improve, he received a second opinion from Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal Elattrache. Dr. Elattrache diagnosed multiple tears in Stevenson's right shoulder. (Shows document on screen of Dr.'s diagnosis of "Posterior labral tear, small posterior capsule tear, right shoulder in addition to posterior Bankart lesion.")

Narrator to Stevenson: What concerns did you have, at that point, that this had happened at a drill other players said should not have happened?

Stevenson: I was a little worried that they were going to try and cover it up, or try to kinda' hide the fact that I was hurt.

Narrator to TV audience: Stevenson began collecting information. He asked the team for the original trainer's report of his injury which said he had been injured during blocking drills. When he was placed on injured reserve in July, however, the report said he was injured "Participating in drills during an Organized Team Activity" He knew teammates would be reluctant to speak out against the Texans, but Jordan Black and another teammate, Fred Weary, signed sworn affidavits backing Stevenson's version of events.

Stevenson: I felt like for all this to be taken away from me, to be jeopardized, you know, not just for one season, but my entire football career, for something that wasn't supposed to be done, I was upset. And I felt like people weren't giving me the answers that I needed.

...i can transcribe the rest of it, if people desire it.
Old 02-08-2009   #206
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It shows that you and a few others don't care about rules.

You can't interpret, on your own, what rules to follow and which to disobey. You are to follow the rules set out beforehand.

If your boss decided to only pay you every third month instead of more regularly, would you agree that that's fair to you? No. You signed on with your employer for the terms laid out in the interview and job acceptance stage of the agreement.

Look, you don't get it because you have a bent toward a way of thinking: Everyone cheats a little, everyone fudges things a little, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is that three guys got hurt. Maybe they weren't all that instrumental to the team's overall chances of success. But they are PEOPLE and they were harmed. And they were harmed in a reckless manner because of the inability of coaches and management staff to adhere by the rules of the CBA. It works both ways, fellas'.
What you don't get is that's the way it is . You're going to tell me this isn't standard and that when Black goes to the Jaguars he won't do the same thing . Well ... maybe when he's not around .

The Steelers just won their 6th Super Bowl . They built their legacy in the 70's and if you go back and look ... a lot of them guys are dead . They also put on about 30 lbs of muscle after they got to Pittsburg .

Who's the Johnson guy from Colorado who retired with post concusion syndrom after playing with the Patriots . He now claims that The Pats forced him to play .

The Texans are doing what's standard and go 8-8 . If they didn't break any rules and went 4-12 ... hey they did this ... with a bunch of swell guys ... it would go over like a lead balloon . Until the league cracks down on everyone ... this stuff will continue but they won't ... why ... this is a NFLPA rule .

Round Dan
Old 02-08-2009   #207
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've been able to gather almost all (if not all) teams do these illegal drills. Most players don't like being forced to do these drills. They also know that complaining about them is a waste of time at best and career limiting at worst. The teams have all of the power in this situation and they abuse it and break the agreements.

The specific Texans case just brings it to light because the players don't think the Texans are being accountable for the team's own actions. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't; that will apparently be decided in the courts.

This does tarnish the Texans image a little, because they are showing that they aren't any different than any other team, and the local fans have previously bought into the image of "a great team run by high character guys. A great place to play". They show are now publicly showing that they aren't any better in character than any other team - they don't follow their signed agreements, and it appears they lie about it when they get caught. I doubt that this will have much lasting bad effect on their image, because it appears most fans have as little regard for non-star players as the team does. Anything to win - although I'm not sure how many extra games these drills have won for the Texans each season.

I'm not even going to consider that they don't do these drills as they claim, because they do. Everyone does - right? The Texans should have the character they expect out of their players and own up to their actions.
Old 02-08-2009   #208
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I doubt that this will have much lasting bad effect on their image, because it appears most fans have as little regard for non-star players as the team does.
Why is this a star player v. non-star player issue? Everyone was doing the drills. Sure it would get even more press if it was a star player but that is after the fact. It wouldn't make any difference on how the team regards the different players.
Old 02-08-2009   #209
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From what I've been able to gather almost all (if not all) teams do these illegal drills. Most players don't like being forced to do these drills. They also know that complaining about them is a waste of time at best and career limiting at worst. The teams have all of the power in this situation and they abuse it and break the agreements.

The specific Texans case just brings it to light because the players don't think the Texans are being accountable for the team's own actions. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't; that will apparently be decided in the courts.

This does tarnish the Texans image a little, because they are showing that they aren't any different than any other team, and the local fans have previously bought into the image of "a great team run by high character guys. A great place to play". They show are now publicly showing that they aren't any better in character than any other team - they don't follow their signed agreements, and it appears they lie about it when they get caught. I doubt that this will have much lasting bad effect on their image, because it appears most fans have as little regard for non-star players as the team does. Anything to win - although I'm not sure how many extra games these drills have won for the Texans each season.

I'm not even going to consider that they don't do these drills as they claim, because they do. Everyone does - right? The Texans should have the character they expect out of their players and own up to their actions.
To me , this is like Biggio getting a DUI early in his career . Doesn't make him a bad guy . Is he the only ballplayer doing it ... nope . Does it make it right ... nope . Is there worse things ... yep . Did this event tarnish his image ... a tad .

To me here's what happened .

1. Gibbs comes in .
2. Gibbs likes overachievers , guys who are willing to do anything to get the job done .
3. The Texans OL is exposed to a tempo it's not used to .
4. Some guys fall out of favor , probably after the first hour .

Round Dan
Old 02-08-2009   #210
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I can't believe the people I see railing against the Texans in this thread. This goes on at every NFL team. The Texans were unlucky enough to have some fringe player narc on them to help his own civil lawsuit.
The fact that it goes on at every NFL team doesn't make it right, nor should it excuse it. If there's a rule against it, either get rid of the rule or abide by it.

I also agree that Stevenson doesn't come out looking good in this situation, but that doesn't exonerate the Texans. They (and every other team) take a chance by doing this stuff, and if they get busted, they have to face the consequences.
Old 02-08-2009   #211
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is this a star player v. non-star player issue? Everyone was doing the drills. Sure it would get even more press if it was a star player but that is after the fact. It wouldn't make any difference on how the team regards the different players.
I doubt the team (or fans) react the same way to this situation if an Eric Winston or Andre Johnson lose a season for the same reason. I think the team would do more to keep them happy, and the fans could see that the players lost something valuable.

That part of my post is just my opinion, of course. My main point is the teams have all the power in these situations and abuse it. Most players just accept it and do as they are told. I think it is wrong; in my mind there is no such thing as football ethics that make this acceptable on a football team if similar actions are wrong in the "real world".
Old 02-08-2009   #212
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

To be clear, I think all teams are just as guilty of poor treatment of fair to middling players, not just the Texans. The Texans are just topical right now, and it seems many people think the team has done nothing wrong. I obviously disagree, and am discussing it as it pertains to the Texans.
Old 02-08-2009   #213
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
To be clear, I think all teams are just as guilty of poor treatment of fair to middling players, not just the Texans. The Texans are just topical right now, and it seems many people think the team has done nothing wrong. I obviously disagree, and am discussing it as it pertains to the Texans.
I wonder if these guys would have done this to one of the high status teams /coaches ?

Round Dan
Old 02-08-2009   #214
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
I wonder if these guys would have done this to one of the high status teams /coaches ?
I wonder if a high status team would have taken care of it by now.

This can be spun either way.
Old 02-08-2009   #215
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I wonder if a high status team would have taken care of it by now.

This can be spun either way.
Jerry Jones paid off a guy that Michael Irvin stabbed in the neck with a pair of scissors .

Round Dan
Old 02-08-2009   #216
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So the issue is the Texans were doing a drill that was strictly prohibited during that time in the offseason. I understand why the Texans wanted to do these drills, especially since Gibbs just came on board and was teaching the 'new' blocking scheme, they need all the practice they can get. But the bottom line is that the Texans did something against the rules and put themselves in jeopardy of getting punished by the league.

If Kubiak does this again and puts the club in jeopardy of getting in trouble more, then I'll have a bigger problem with it. But at this point, this will not be his last year as our Head Coach. Like some people wrote in on McClain's blog 'Kubiak's in the hot seat, he should be fired, if he doesn't make the playoffs he's done because of this, etc.'... that's just ridiculous.

Lose some days of practice (which are valuable for the young guys), get fined, let's move on. If this happens again, we'll see a much more severe penalty.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 02-08-2009   #217
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me here's what happened .
1. Gibbs comes in .
2. Gibbs likes overachievers , guys who are willing to do anything to get the job done .
3. The Texans OL is exposed to a tempo it's not used to .
4. Some guys fall out of favor , probably after the first hour .
The assumption here is that this behavior is something new, or specific to this coaching staff. We don't know that these drills haven't occurred during the Capers era. We don't know how many other NFL teams employ the same drills, because we don't have video tape. There's a lot we don't know.

The Niners lost a 5th round pick for contacting Lance Brigg's agent prior to the free agency period. It's widely assumed that this type of tampering is prevalent throughout the league. But, the Commish felt he had enough evidence on the Niners to make them an example. That's what I see happening to the Texans. I don't believe they are the only team violating the no-contact rule. Just that they're the ones caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I don't want to come across as a homer. The Texans deserve to be punished. Just that if every team got their just desserts for violating the offseason no-contact rule, there probably wouldn't be a 4th round in the upcoming draft.
Old 02-08-2009   #218
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The fact that it goes on at every NFL team doesn't make it right, nor should it excuse it. If there's a rule against it, either get rid of the rule or abide by it.

I also agree that Stevenson doesn't come out looking good in this situation, but that doesn't exonerate the Texans. They (and every other team) take a chance by doing this stuff, and if they get busted, they have to face the consequences.
Quote:
Apparently I am not being clear. Yes the team violated a rule and that is wrong. What I don't like is fans jumping on the Texans like this displays some particular weakness or failure of the Texans. This is a league wide practice and says nothing in particular about the Texans other than they didn't take the highest road. It doesn't indicate anything special or unique about McNair, Kubiak, etc.

Anyone who has been paying attention has known this has been going on for years. I don't recall a single fan being outraged about it before now.
Old 02-08-2009   #219
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The assumption here is that this behavior is something new, or specific to this coaching staff. We don't know that these drills haven't occurred during the Capers era. We don't know how many other NFL teams employ the same drills, because we don't have video tape. There's a lot we don't know.
It happened here in the Capers era too. I specifically asked a player about it when the Jets or whoever got busted a few years back.

I expect it to happen in OTAs around the country, including here, in 2009.
Old 02-08-2009   #220
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

The Niners lost a 5th round pick for contacting Lance Brigg's agent prior to the free agency period. It's widely assumed that this type of tampering is prevalent throughout the league. But, the Commish felt he had enough evidence on the Niners to make them an example. That's what I see happening to the Texans. I don't believe they are the only team violating the no-contact rule. Just that they're the ones caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I don't want to come across as a homer. The Texans deserve to be punished. Just that if every team got their just desserts for violating the offseason no-contact rule, there probably wouldn't be a 4th round in the upcoming draft.
Ummm ... remember how we used to block ?

Round Dan
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read