Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2009   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can the Texans be next season's Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
9-7 gets you a distant third place finish in the AFC South... By the way, NE finished 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs. Furthermore, Arizona could've finished 7-9 and still rested its players in week 17 in order to get ready for the playoffs.
None of which addresses what I was speaking to. The hypothesis was that given an identical schedule, the Texans would fare better than the Cardinals. The facts suggest otherwise.

A case could be made that the Cardinals had a let down after clinching the NFC West in Week 13. That their record of 9-7 was misleading. On the other hand, the Texans didn't begin to win until they were eliminated from playoff contention. The notion that had the Texans played in the NFC West, they could have been a Cinderella Super Bowl story is absurd. The Texans aren't as good as the Cardinals. Yet.
Old 02-05-2009   #22
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Nobody is saying they want 60 years of futility in this thread. It is simply a comparison of two non-mainstream franchises, one of which, Arizona, made it to the big show this year. Why try and turn this thread into something else?
Obviously, but 60 years of futility is my point. They are perenial losers & you could argue that they only clinched the division & made the playoffs b/c of a soft division & schedule. Experts had been picking them as the team to break out for like 5 years running only to be disappointed. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Why hope to be a likely 1 hit wonder that's probably gonna take a step back next year just b/c of the SB jinx & cheap ass Bidwill alone?

I'm just saying If there's a team in the NFL that i want to be like It's the 1 that's in the thick of it year in, year out.....Not a team that just so happen to have everything break right for them this year & got a lucky SB appearance.

Last edited by Mr teX; 02-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
None of which addresses what I was speaking to. The hypothesis was that given an identical schedule, the Texans would fare better than the Cardinals. The facts suggest otherwise.

A case could be made that the Cardinals had a let down after clinching the NFC West in Week 13. That their record of 9-7 was misleading. On the other hand, the Texans didn't begin to win until they were eliminated from playoff contention. The notion that had the Texans played in the NFC West, they could have been a Cinderella Super Bowl story is absurd. The Texans aren't as good as the Cardinals. Yet.
It's not anymore absurd than someone suggesting the Cardinals would've been there before last season. You can't factor in the Cards' letdown and yet not factor in mitigating factors regarding the Texans' schedule like the hurricane and the road gauntlet that started our season. The Texans have plenty in place to allow for the "possibility" of a season like the Cardinals had. Nobody is suggesting that it will happen, only that hope exists that it could. Of course it "could".

By the way, nobody is arguing that the Texans are as good right now as the Cardinals were during the playoffs. Why so many people freak out when a fan suggests reason for "hope"... I just don't get it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #24
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure, why not. I think the Texans will win the division next year.

And yes, the Texans are better than the Cards, which we will get to prove next year.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #25
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Wow, some of you read some weird stuff into a simple question.

Obviously the question asks could we be the team no one expects to go far, but exceeds expectations, and makes the Super Bowl.

And yes, the Texans can be that team.

Smith and Kubiak have jettisoned Casserly's rejects, and kept Casserly's good picks. They've had two good drafts and picked up some good street free agents. With a few more good free agents, and a better plan on defense, this team might win 12 games, and go far in the playoffs.

Imagine the national press saying: How did this happen? or There's a team in Houston?
Old 02-05-2009   #26
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
During the regular season, the Cardinals went 2-6 versus teams with winning records. The Texans went 3-6. The dissimilarity between the two teams is that Arizona didn't hiccup against the weaker opponents. The Texans had 2 losses to 5-11 teams. Nope, there's nothing inherent in the record that would suggest that the Texans, playing against the same schedule, would fare better than the Cardinals.

The Cardinals were able to convert yards gained into points scored. The Texans were not. The Cardinals only went 3 games where they scored under 20 points. The Texans faild to make it to 20 on 6 occasions. The Cardinals put up 30 in 7 games. The Texans did so in 3. And despite their much maligned defense, the Texans were able to win twice when held to 16 points or less. The Cardinals never won when scoring less than 23 points.

So can the Texans be the 2009 Cardinals? It would help if they could sweep their division, as Arizona did. Or at least win the division. Also, beat up on the weak sisters on the schedule. And turn those 1st downs into touchdowns. It can be done. It remains to be seen if it will be done. Whisenhunt turned his franchise around in 2 seasons. We'll see if Kubiak can do the same in his 4th.
All this is great, but it still does nothing to sway my thinking that Houston was the better regular season team when they only lost 1 less game despite facing a winning opponent % of .518 while St. Louis only won 1 more game while facing a losing opponent % of .486. Including Houston facing a winning divisional opponent % of .604 compared to St. Louis who faced a losing divisional opponent % of .271.....which is a absolute cake and having 6 games vs one of the worst divisions in the history of football is a gift.

I'm not saying Houston is a better team then a team that caught fire, flipped a switch, and made it all the way to the superbowl......I'm saying they played better during the regular season considering they pretty much matched records while having to face MUCH TOUGHER competition. There is no doubt in my mind that Houston would've went to the playoffs in they played in the NFC west. Does that mean they would've went to the superbowl....no, they could have easily been a 1 and done team.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #27
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The notion that had the Texans played in the NFC West, they could have been a Cinderella Super Bowl story is absurd.
Who said that?

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2009   #28
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
All this is great, but it still does nothing to sway my thinking that Houston was the better regular season team when they only lost 1 less game despite facing a winning opponent % of .518 while St. Louis only won 1 more game while facing a losing opponent % of .486. Including Houston facing a winning divisional opponent % of .604compared to St. Louis who faced a losing divisional opponent % of .271.....which is a absolute cake and having 6 games vs one of the worst divisions in the history of football is a gift.

I'm not saying Houston is a better team then a team that caught fire, flipped a switch, and made it all the way to the superbowl......I'm saying they played better during the regular season considering they pretty much matched records while having to face MUCH TOUGHER competition. There is no doubt in my mind that Houston would've went to the playoffs in they played in the NFC west. Does that mean they would've went to the superbowl....no, they could have easily been a 1 and done team.
O.k....we all know what you meant.... and I'm sure you must have been tired when you typed this. ( I understand because I still call them St. Louis also)......But they are ARIZONA! St. Louis is that other incompetant NFC WEST team...Rams.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

its anyones ball game during playoffs i have no doubt if we make the playoofs healthy we can make a good run IMO its just getting there and your seed that can help u along the way

heck i think just playing in the AFC makes it even more harder

so with that said no we cant be next years cards during the RS because we couldnt afford to lose like 3 games during the end of the season
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #30
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

just a fun fact when the cards played a AFC team during the RS they got smoked

New York Jets L 56-35 - u know if someone puts up 35 points on the texans (which i think is hard 2 do unless we turnover the ball like 3 times and Sage Rosenfels backstabbing us in the balty game) u think we could outscore that ???

New England Patriots L 47-7 - I watched this game and the cards didnt want to play this game and they showed it the game was over by the 2nd quarter
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read