Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-04-2009   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default trade down thought

Many have offered opinions on who could be there @#15. Some players like Crabtree is simply wishful thinking and some like Orakpo and Raji are possibles(at least some mock have them at 15 or a spot or two lower.)

My question is what player that has a realistic chance at being there, is worth more than a possible trade down package such as the 1,3 and 6th we got for #18? IMO a #15 should be a starter first year & could bring more than the last trade. I have limited choices so far to the two mentioned above, maybe one of the premier LBs that might drop and then Vontae Davis.

My thinking on CB Davis:6'0 200 4.39 and Walters has rated as top 20. Seems to be a pretty good candidate and possible upgrade over all except Dunta. Team may want to have a #15 CB in the fold to nudge DR to take less $. I would not take that approach as DR may be offended and just go elsewhere; but I can see the scenario as possible. Bennett may be back to form of rookie year and may not. Molden is a huge ?

The more I think on it, a trade down seems the way to go; if we can find a willing partner.
Old 02-04-2009   #2
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Re: trade down thought

I agree depending on how draft day goes a trade down would be great. My biggest hope is that a player at a position we don't need right away falls and somebody pulls the trigger and trades up with us to get him. If we could get an Alphonso Smith/Delmas combo with a trade down I would be very excited.
Old 02-04-2009   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if Sanchez falls to us at 15 he's the perfect candidate for teams to trade up and get. Real possibility Chicago would want him and there's a few teams like Tampa would would most likely be looking to solve their QB situation long term.

IF Oher or one of the other LTs drop to us would the Lions want a LT that could keep, assuming they use the #1 on Stafford, upright?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #4
Polo

If Wells from Ohio St. falls to us I'm taking him.
Old 02-04-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
THis is the type player I was referring to that could fall due to his health issues. Someone could think he is good for them and trade up. I don't think I'd take him at #15.
Old 02-04-2009   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I agree depending on how draft day goes a trade down would be great. My biggest hope is that a player at a position we don't need right away falls and somebody pulls the trigger and trades up with us to get him. If we could get an Alphonso Smith/Delmas combo with a trade down I would be very excited.
SMith size scares me at 5'8". IMO we need to hit big with as few risks as possible where ever we select in first. Walters rates him picks him as 2nd-3rd round.http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009CB.php

Draft Scout has him higher and 5'9"http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=CB

Read the note in Jan about weakness of QBs against him. I just think WR in NFL like Fitzgerald will smack their lips against him.
Old 02-04-2009   #7
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
SMith size scares me at 5'8". IMO we need to hit big with as few risks as possible where ever we select in first. Walters rates him picks him as 2nd-3rd round.http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009CB.php

Draft Scout has him higher and 5'9"http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=CB

Read the note in Jan about weakness of QBs against him. I just think WR in NFL like Fitzgerald will smack their lips against him.
I think opposing CBs shake in their cleats more than Fitz is smacking his lips, but I see your point.

He is undersized, but he always seems to come up with a big play in any game. I will have to see what his vertical comes in at, but I like the kid simply because he causes turnovers and that is something we have to stay positive in, because if it wasn't for turning the ball over we may have been in the playoffs this past year.

Edit: Just found a great article on Alphonso here

I think trading down and gaining picks is great in any draft if the timing and the board is right. Just look at last year with Slaton....draft day is too far away!

Last edited by JWarren14; 02-04-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Found a good article
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2009   #8
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

there are a lot of players that could drop including Sanchez Moreno Wells Maclin and Oher and it is looking as if at least one of them will and we are in the perfect place to trade down. with SD 1 behind us the RBs will be in high demand and with the Jets 2 behind we could wield and deal with someone looking to bolster their WR core or QB situation (Tampa Bay is hurting for two of the three positions so they could be our best bet).

OR all of the players mentioned above get drafted and one of the players that fill a position of need for the Texans will be available. (i like this one better)
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think if Sanchez falls to us at 15 he's the perfect candidate for teams to trade up and get. Real possibility Chicago would want him and there's a few teams like Tampa would would most likely be looking to solve their QB situation long term.

IF Oher or one of the other LTs drop to us would the Lions want a LT that could keep, assuming they use the #1 on Stafford, upright?
I would gladly trade down with Detroit and get their 2nd. # 20 I'd trade down again and late first round select Ayers DE, Detroit's 2 SHonn Green, our 2 Ron Brace NT 3.Rashad Johnson FS 4 ours Louis Vasquez O.G. and 4th from trade from #20 I'd pick Scott McKillop ILB
Old 02-05-2009   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
there are a lot of players that could drop including Sanchez Moreno Wells Maclin and Oher and it is looking as if at least one of them will and we are in the perfect place to trade down. with SD 1 behind us the RBs will be in high demand and with the Jets 2 behind we could wield and deal with someone looking to bolster their WR core or QB situation (Tampa Bay is hurting for two of the three positions so they could be our best bet).

OR all of the players mentioned above get drafted and one of the players that fill a position of need for the Texans will be available. (i like this one better)
To have Sanchez drop would be the ideal situation for us because teams put more of a premium on QB's. And with this class being pretty thin at QB, there would probably be a lot of interest in him if he fell to us, which is very unlikely. But, if he did, Tampa would be a most likely trading partner at #19. They would give us the 19th and 83rd (3rd rd) picks, which happen to equal out just right on the point value chart (#15=1050 pts) = (#19=875 pts + #83=175 pts). This, of course, is just one possible scenario. There may be more teams farther down, like the Vikings at #22, who could be more desperate and would have to give up a lot more to move up. Whatever happens it should be interesting. JMHO!

Last edited by Insideop; 02-05-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Ok, the draft is this Saturday, right? What? Oh, nooooo!
Old 02-05-2009   #12
twelvegage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I think opposing CBs shake in their cleats more than Fitz is smacking his lips, but I see your point.

He is undersized, but he always seems to come up with a big play in any game. I will have to see what his vertical comes in at, but I like the kid simply because he causes turnovers and that is something we have to stay positive in, because if it wasn't for turning the ball over we may have been in the playoffs this past year.

Edit: Just found a great article on Alphonso here

I think trading down and gaining picks is great in any draft if the timing and the board is right. Just look at last year with Slaton....draft day is too far away!
I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Smith is short, but he makes plays, and that's what we need. Him and Delmas, and a pass rusher in there somewhere = perfect to me. Especially if we could add someone like James Davis in the 3rd or 4th.

And Fitzgerald smacks his lips against everything less than triple coverage.
twelvegage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would gladly trade down with Detroit and get their 2nd. # 20 I'd trade down again and late first round select Ayers DE, Detroit's 2 SHonn Green, our 2 Ron Brace NT 3.Rashad Johnson FS 4 ours Louis Vasquez O.G. and 4th from trade from #20 I'd pick Scott McKillop ILB
awesome

Double trade down. Middle round picks have been a strength of Smith imo.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if a QB falls and you want him you have to be ahead of the Jets. If there is a RB that you want I think you have to get ahead of the CHargers. There is some drama going on between LT and the Bolts. I think they resign Sproles and if LT doesn't restructure then it could get interesting as he has a HUGE cap figure and they have a couple of guys that need new deals.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I think if a QB falls and you want him you have to be ahead of the Jets. If there is a RB that you want I think you have to get ahead of the CHargers. There is some drama going on between LT and the Bolts. I think they resign Sproles and if LT doesn't restructure then it could get interesting as he has a HUGE cap figure and they have a couple of guys that need new deals.
This could work out well for us.
Old 02-06-2009   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as the original topic, guys who might fall and would be worth more to this team than a trade down, IMO:

Maualuga, Cushing, Maybin.

Guys I don't like that I think are valuable to us only as trade down material:
E. Brown
Raji
Sanchez

Guys who are probably worth our pick that I don't think we need, but could generate interest from other teams:
Wells, V. Davis
Old 02-06-2009   #17
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
sincerely,

Rashard Mendenhall
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegage View Post
I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Smith is short, but he makes plays, and that's what we need. Him and Delmas, and a pass rusher in there somewhere = perfect to me. Especially if we could add someone like James Davis in the 3rd or 4th.

And Fitzgerald smacks his lips against everything less than triple coverage.
This 5'9" guy can make plays in college, does that translate to NFL?
Old 02-06-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Wells at all. If we do take an offensive player in round 1, I'm thinking it could be Jeremy Maclin- which would cause these boards to light up. If we go RB, I'd much rather have Moreno. In anycase, I'd prefer a Defensive player or a trade down, but I'd think Maclin or Moreno > Wells. I would rather have Moreno or Donald Brown... maybe even Green or McCoy than Wells.

I agree with the players previously posted that could be prospects for a team to trade up for. SD, CHI, TB picking after us the RBs/WRs might get taken and a team could try and jump them for "their guy".
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
So Chargers could trade up one spot to get that player they need and we get a __? They make trade as they want a RB, say Beanie Wells & they think we might select him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read