Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-04-2009   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mewelde Moore

How about we get this guy to be the bruiser behind Slaton? Mendenhall is going to be coming back for Pittsburgh and he's going to lose playing time there. He produced pretty well when Parker was out.

I know he signed a 3-year, 4.95 mil contract last year, but could we still get him?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #2
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152339 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mewelde Moore

Man, good thought. Maybe trade a late round pick?

I have been a believer in Moore since he was in Minny, and could never really understand why he didn't get more of a shot. He was great when Fast Willie was out this year. What's the deal with this guy? Shoot him down and school me on why he was always a back up.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #3
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 31960 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Man, good thought. Maybe trade a late round pick?

I have been a believer in Moore since he was in Minny, and could never really understand why he didn't get more of a shot. He was great when Fast Willie was out this year. What's the deal with this guy? Shoot him down and school me on why he was always a back up.
I quite like the idea of that, he's not had a massive NFL battering. I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th to 5th rounder for him to be honest, from what I've seen of him, he looks like he could be a good person to split some carries with Stevie, and he's not going to be getting a 2nd running back role next year with the Steelers, I don't think.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd been thinking that he was gonna become available at some point early next year once mendenhall comes back healthy. I also doubt the steelers keep 4 rb's next year & it's likely going to come down to He or Russell & either would be just fine as the bruiser/short yardage back behind Slaton imo.

parker -starter
Mendenhall - backup
Russell - short yardage guy
Moore - ?

I don't see where Moore fits in unless 1 of those guys go down early in the offseason/preseason.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd also be interested in seeing what it would take for Oakland to let go of Micheal Bush. Wouldn't be opposed to Moore and that MIGHT let us take someone else this year instead of a RB in our top 3 picks. Moore, while not as explosive as Steve could step in as a starter and keep the running game consistent.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #6
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but why was the thread moved here? I set it up where it was pertaining the Texans.....a feature back who could be a fit for us.

Just curious....

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Old 02-04-2009   #7
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152339 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
I'm sorry I have to ask this, but why was the thread moved here? I set it up where it was pertaining the Texans.....a feature back who could be a fit for us.

Just curious....
I was wondering about that myself. I can only assume an admin didn't read the content of the post.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2009   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just curious....
Since Moore is with another team and there is no real talks about it I am assuming that is why they moved it here.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #9
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Kevin Jones? He was a first round pick for the Lions, still only 26 and was used sparingly by the Bears last year. He had serious injury the year before that though.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Since Moore is with another team and there is no real talks about it I am assuming that is why they moved it here.
Correct.

Should there be an article, not a blog, reporting that the Texans are involved with talks with a FA, then the thread would be in the Texans Talk section.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 02-06-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I have one problem with this idea...Moore isn't really a bruiser. He is 5'10 and 209 but he is more of a speed/3rd down guy they used compared to FWP on the Steelers. He can bruise more than Slaton but I'm not sure if that has been is use in the NFL so far.
Old 02-06-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Correct.

Should there be an article, not a blog, reporting that the Texans are involved with talks with a FA, then the thread would be in the Texans Talk section.
Kinda off-topic, but are teams even allowed to begin talks with FA's yet?

BTW, it looks like Edge is already planning on his release from the Cards.

Quote:
In an interview on Dan Patrick’s radio show, Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic and XTRA Sports 910 said in no uncertain terms that Cardinals running back Edgerrin James is already gone.

Bickley said that James didn’t return to Arizona with the team, and that he fully expects James not to be back in 2009.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ne-in-arizona/
Old 02-06-2009   #13
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Correct.

But KT, I thought anyone can suggest RBs that would fit the Texans scheme in the Texans Talk section. I didn't know I needed reference in order for it to be there.

Old 02-07-2009   #14
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Moore looks like he could be looking for a new team since the Steelers just brought in Stefan Logan from BC Lions. I still feel that we should be using leach as more or the bruiser and in those goal line stances
Old 02-07-2009   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But KT, I thought anyone can suggest RBs that would fit the Texans scheme in the Texans Talk section. I didn't know I needed reference in order for it to be there.
Generally speaking we keep discussions of individuals who have not been connected to the Texans in the NFL section and then if they get connected to the Texans they are discussed in Texans Talk. General discussions such as something like "FA RBs who would fit our scheme" also can go in Texans Talk. If every FA out there gets there own thread in Texans Talk it mucks things up and drives threads off the first page. Then we get redundant "how about X" threads. It is somewhat arbitrary but helps the place stay organized.
Old 02-07-2009   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Generally speaking we keep discussions of individuals who have not been connected to the Texans in the NFL section and then if they get connected to the Texans they are discussed in Texans Talk. General discussions such as something like "FA RBs who would fit our scheme" also can go in Texans Talk. If every FA out there gets there own thread in Texans Talk it mucks things up and drives threads off the first page. Then we get redundant "how about X" threads. It is somewhat arbitrary but helps the place stay organized.
our mods do an outstanding job monitoring this board, thank you!
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Pass. Moore is not the type of back I am looking for. I am looking for a 225+ lber that can get short yardage and move the chains on 3rd and short and would be a brusier for the Goal line.

Moore is a 209lb speedy back.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about we get this guy to be the bruiser behind Slaton? Mendenhall is going to be coming back for Pittsburgh and he's going to lose playing time there. He produced pretty well when Parker was out.

I know he signed a 3-year, 4.95 mil contract last year, but could we still get him?
Moore a bruiser? He has always been a 3rd down and situational back....hes more of a finesse back like a little better version of Ryan Moats

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Whatever our management decides to do, it better include getting someone to share the load with Slaton. I know Smith and Kubiak werent here when DD played for us, but they better still learn the lesson. Don't burn out your young backs and end their careers within 4 years especially after you re-signed them over a year earlier than you really needed to, in order to try and a get a 'team friendlier' deal and prevent him from being an FA.
Thanks Charlie, you big steaming pile of dog crap for all the great moves you did during your reign of terror.

Good morning everyone
Old 02-07-2009   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Pass. Moore is not the type of back I am looking for. I am looking for a 225+ lber that can get short yardage and move the chains on 3rd and short and would be a brusier for the Goal line.

Moore is a 209lb speedy back.
You don't necessarily have to be a hulking brute in order to be a good goal line back. Some guys just have a nose for the endzone. IMO Marcus Allen was one of the all time great goal line backs, because he knew what he had to do, and made it his mission to do it. He played at around 210 pounds.

When you look at the 2008 season, and look at percentages of TD's from the 3 yard line or inside, there were 14 backs with a 50% or greater percentage (minimum 6 attempts). Only 6 of the 14 weighed above 225 pounds, with the top three weighing 208, 217, and 220 respectively. Strangely enough, the 225+ guys were clustered together at 4-9, and 10-14 were all sub 225.

LINK

The other thing to keep in mind is with the exception of Duckett, all of these guys were touching the ball at least 10-12 times a game. John Madden used to talk about the guy who if you needed a yard would get you three, and if you needed five yards would get you three. That guy aint gonna cut it. If he's a complementary back to Slaton, he needs to be able to do something besides be a three yard battering ram.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 02-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read