Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2009   #21
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The NFL in Texas: 2 teams, 2 directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Then you sign Dan Reeves as a consultant? Really? Dan Reeves. The same Dan Reeves that said the Texans should stay the course with Carr. A move that has crippled our franchise's development even to this day. Really? Jones needs to back away from the plastic surgeon and stay the hell off the football field and let more qualified football personnel make the moves. Jerry probably does know as much about football as most NFL owners but he doesn't know enough to be qualified to make all decisions especially personnel and building a team. He can squeeze a nickel out of a turnip but he needs to stick with the marketing and the sponsorship/licensing deals because that is something he is good at. Its obvious he can not build a winner without strong leadership at HC.
Oh, good grief. If the Texans go on to the heights we expect, then Reeves' telling McNair that he could win with David Carr was a key moment in that climb. If we had gone into the 2006 draft eyeing a QB, we'd probably have The Crying, Quitting Sausage King polluting our roster. Or, only marginally-better, Beer-Bong Leinart. Or, best case, maybe we'd have shocked the world and taken Cutler. Either way, Super Mario plays elsewhere if we draft a QB #1.

But how not having VY or Leinart cripples our team to this very day is beyond me. Perhaps it has crippled the affection that VY-lovers have for our team, but now that Vince looks like he's going to be a third-stringer behind a Kerry Collins and Chris Simms, who in their right mind can suggest we should have drafted anyone else other than Mario at #1?

We got the QB we need. We got the game-changing pass-rusher all top-shelf teams need. And, to boot, we got a more productive RB than the one we were supposed to take in 2006 if we did not take The Quitter with that first pick. I'd say our development from 2-14 has come along nicely, thank you.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #22
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I don't know about a Super Bowl but I do agree that the Texans are trending upwards and the Cowboys look to be primed for a fall. And the draft is going to be slim pickens in 2009 because they shot their load trading for a VERY unmotivated and underperforming Roy Williams. Then you have Mr. Choke himself Tony Romo at the helm and with that you know you are screwed too.

Their best chance at the Super Bowl was in 2006 under Parcells and Romo had to choke the snap on the chip shot field goal to win it. Ever since then they have lost that swagger. They should have never gotten rid of Parcells. His FG kickers were horrible and lost so many games for them yet they still almost advanced but Romo had to choke. Parcells wasn't the problem and I guarantee you they dont trade a 1st and a 2nd? for Roy WIlliams if Bill is still at Valley Ranch.

I give Jones a lot of credit for winning but he hasn't won since he had a strong personality as his Head Coach. He needs to get back to that and get away from teh Wade Phillips carebear coaching philosophy.

Then you sign Dan Reeves as a consultant? Really? Dan Reeves. The same Dan Reeves that said the Texans should stay the course with Carr. A move that has crippled our franchise's development even to this day. Really? Jones needs to back away from the plastic surgeon and stay the hell off the football field and let more qualified football personnel make the moves. Jerry probably does know as much about football as most NFL owners but he doesn't know enough to be qualified to make all decisions especially personnel and building a team. He can squeeze a nickel out of a turnip but he needs to stick with the marketing and the sponsorship/licensing deals because that is something he is good at. Its obvious he can not build a winner without strong leadership at HC.

I just could not resist from a Cowboys fan perspective:

The Cowboys have maybe 8 or 9 draft picks this year so that is why I think they did the deal for Roy. He needs to step up and make it worth what they paid. Jerry wanted him for some time so I guess that's the reason he paid such a heavy price. I would not have but they are hardly without draft choices this draft.

Can't disagree about Romo..he has a huge upside but he makes too many mistakes. Is he a choker? So far yea. Long term I don't know. Depends on him. He has the talent.

They didn't get "rid" of Bill..he left on his own and he has the same hx as Jimmy. Stay a few years and then get out. Bill wasn't fired and wasn't gotten rid of. He just left. Got his millions he needed to pay off his ex and then SEE YA! And the Cowboys didn't win a playoff game under Bill. Same ole, same ole.

I think Dan was hired just because he's had many years in the league and they needed some direction. Different opinion. He's got the history there and while I don't know exactly how much swing a "consultant" with an NFL team has I don't see where it can hurt. Chances are he probably has more common sense than Jerry and Wade combined. We'll see.

Jerry does need to focus on the marketing (I personally think he's tops in the NFL in that) and leave the team alone. He will not, he has not and he doesn't have to. So it's a moot argument.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #23
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Rick Smith didn't draft Andre Johnson the last time I checked.
Rick Smith willed Caserly to select AJ because he knew all along he would be in Houston eventually, he's that good.

Speaking of AJ, this franchise owes Detroit a lot of gratitude. If Detroit hadn't drafted Charles Rogers, I'm sure Caserly would have taken him over AJ, what a disaster that would have been!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2009   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Reeves was brought in to see if Mike S could work with the Dallas crew
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #25
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Man we got to make the Superbowl we have waited so long with blood sweet and tears

i will be so happy if the texans make the playoffs i might even shead a tear

look how happy the cards fans have felt for the past few months i wanna feel that has well LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #26
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

we haven't waited that long. look at the bucks, lions, you even sight the cards... but yeah, hurry up already!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #27
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'll be very happy when the Texans are in the Super Bowl. But before we gloat over the supposed momentum shift between Houston and Dallas, remember this. The Cowboys disappointing 9-7 record this past season would be a franchise best for the Texans.
Ouch. Thanks for the reality check. And it's true.

I've learned, after the hopefulness I had for this season, thinking we'd have a huge turnaround, that it's much better to dip your toe in the water, assuming it's going to be freezing than jumping right in thinking it's going to be fine.

I can't wait for next year and I think the Texans can turn it around, but I'm not confident about it until I see it. For a couple years now, we've been on the "gonna turn it around" tip, and it just hasn't happened for numerous reasons, so I'm not going to chest thump, especially in relation to the Cowboys.

But man, them 'Boys are in a heap of a mess up there in the Big D. I'm glad I'm a Texans fan. Screw it, I'm ALWAYS glad I'm a Texans fan, even if the Cowboys are in the Super Bowl, because I could never be a Cowboys fan. Even this yankee from Chi-town knows better.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2009   #28
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article, except for the AJ mistake. I only hope it comes true and I hope Jerry, and the rest of the cowpie nation, are happy with their "glitz and glitter" team!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #29
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
There are a few Cowboy fans on this board that are very cool people and are long time members here.
Sarcasm, that's why I added the LOL part. I know you can be fans for more than one team. No sarcasm about the G-N-G though (Glitz and glitter).
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
Sarcasm, that's why I added the LOL part. I know you can be fans for more than one team. No sarcasm about the G-N-G though (Glitz and glitter).
Cool.

Agreed about the Glitz and glitter.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read