Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 01-11-2009   #1
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Future of the Titans?

Welcome to the offseason Titan fans. One and done, can't say I'm surprised.

So what will they do now? Do they re-sign Collins or go with Young? The QB position is definitely a question mark. They have some other players who are going to be FA's, of course Haynesworth and I think Bironas will also be. I don't expect Bud to break the bank on Haynesworth knowing the contract Al will most likely expect. But we know how significant his impact on their defense is. Thoughts?
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #2
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Future of the Titans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Welcome to the offseason Titan fans. One and done, can't say I'm surprised.

So what will they do now? Do they re-sign Collins or go with Young? The QB position is definitely a question mark. They have some other players who are going to be FA's, of course Haynesworth and I think Bironas will also be. I don't expect Bud to break the bank on Haynesworth knowing the contract Al will most likely expect. But we know how significant his impact on their defense is. Thoughts?
Already mentioned that Collins goes into the next season as starter in camp. As far as Haynesworth, those late season injuries hurt his negotiating power. Kickers always get signed. The salary cap goes up $7 mil. Got cap room to really pay Haynesworth, but his thoughts will mean more than anything. I think they missed their window to win it this season. With VY the future, will fall off for a few years.
Old 01-11-2009   #3
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
Got cap room to really pay Haynesworth, but his thoughts will mean more than anything.
Yeah, cap room has never been an issue far as re-signing him. Last year they were almost 40 million under the cap, they had the chance to sign him to a long term contract then, but they wisely chose to franchise him. I think the real question is whether they will want to re-sign him, given his durabiliy issues and his work ethic.
Old 01-11-2009   #4
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious, when the Oilers were here, one of the main complaints about Bud as an owner was his unwillingness to open up the purse strings and sign the high dollar players. Now, I know he spent big for VY, but I kinda view that as an aberration - since he had ulterior motives for that one.

Anyway, this is really a two part question. Do the Titan fans like Bud as an owner? And is he still stingy with the paychecks?
Old 01-11-2009   #5
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Cap room has never been an issue far as re-signing him. Last year they were almost 40 million under the cap, they had the chance to sign him to a long term contract then, but they wisely chose to franchise him. I think the real question is whether they will want to re-sign him, given his durabiliy issues and his work ethic.
True. But, he will break the bank. They franchised him due to all the cap that would be used up. They didn't realize they were better than what they thought. I believe they also were anticipating at bringing in a WR and DE in 09'. But Kearse played above expectations, the entire D-Line and the running game offset the lack thereof of really good receivers this season. Interesting decision to make this offseason. If VY is the future, they will need to get significantly better in other areas of the team. Collins accuracy and experience made the WR corp better.
Old 01-11-2009   #6
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
And is he still stingy with the paychecks?
I would say yes to this. Since he's had plenty of $ to spend in the past few offseasons and he hasn't made any significant signings to improve his team. He had chances to improve parts of the team like the receiving core, so far he's completely ignored that area.
Old 01-11-2009   #7
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
If VY is the future, they will need to get significantly better in other areas of the team. Collins accuracy and experience made the WR corp better.
I think any attempt to build the team around Young will be a waste. I think they'd be better off to draft a QB and let him sit behind Collins for a season or two. The Young experiment has faled imo, but most likely Bud will stick with Young. We can only hope.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 01-11-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2009   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Just curious, when the Oilers were here, one of the main complaints about Bud as an owner was his unwillingness to open up the purse strings and sign the high dollar players. Now, I know he spent big for VY, but I kinda view that as an aberration - since he had ulterior motives for that one.

Anyway, this is really a two part question. Do the Titan fans like Bud as an owner? And is he still stingy with the paychecks?
Bud Adams long ago stopped being cheap where player salaries are concerned. He was paying top dollar for players when his team was here in Houston. In the 60's and 70's he earned a reputation for being notoriously stingy with player salaries and that is where this notion comes from. He was also very tight about running the organization in the early days and that continued throughout his time here. The Oilers practice facility was notable for being possibly the worst in the NFL and I'm sure that's improved (if for no other reason than he's got the taxpayers in Possum Holler paying for it). Bud also had a reputation for not being willing to pay coaches top dollar and that went on right up to Jack Pardee (and I presume Jeff Fisher's early contract. I don't know what Fisher makes today).

Mostly though he's not that cheap when it comes to contracts. It's just hard for him to shake the reputation he's built.
Old 01-11-2009   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of Dud's problem is he is as willing to make a move to slap Houston as he is to better his team. That is why he picked VY. He still lives here and knows he is loathed. He is a bitter old man. What would be a perfect offseason in Dud's warped world would be to fire Jeff Fisher (think Bum here), re-sign Kerry to big bucks and then start Young. Let AH go because he wants $1 more than an imaginary amount in Dud's head and sign a high priced FA WR that doesn't pan out. The team will then be a good regular season team and just miss the playoffs. That has been Dud's MO for decades.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love for dud to go "Al Davis" on us but even if he did, it still wouldn't compare to what Al has done to the raiders
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the future of the titans?

says ..

I see continued suckage and devastating heartbreaks every year in the fore-seeable future.
Old 01-11-2009   #12
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see LenWhale White and Alge Crumpler getting fatter.
Old 01-12-2009   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope classes are in their future:

Old 02-05-2009   #14
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I hope classes are in their future:

I hope not.

They should keep using the "hind-lick" maneuver.
Old 02-09-2009   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Bud Adams long ago stopped being cheap where player salaries are concerned. He was paying top dollar for players when his team was here in Houston. In the 60's and 70's he earned a reputation for being notoriously stingy with player salaries and that is where this notion comes from. He was also very tight about running the organization in the early days and that continued throughout his time here. The Oilers practice facility was notable for being possibly the worst in the NFL and I'm sure that's improved (if for no other reason than he's got the taxpayers in Possum Holler paying for it). Bud also had a reputation for not being willing to pay coaches top dollar and that went on right up to Jack Pardee (and I presume Jeff Fisher's early contract. I don't know what Fisher makes today).

Mostly though he's not that cheap when it comes to contracts. It's just hard for him to shake the reputation he's built.
Yeah he was notoriously cheap during the LuvYaBlue era but during the Moon era he went out and spent the money both in personnel and coaching.

The guy's franchise is cursed, its just that simple. He'll spend enough to keep the inbred yokels in Tennessee happy, but he probably wont even resign his own players much less lure other team's quality players away.
Old 03-19-2009   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans fans need not worry. LenWhale lost weight.

GE: Running back LenDale White vowed after last season’s playoff loss to Baltimore that he would come back next season as a better player, including improved work habits. What have you seen from him so far?

SW: What he told us was true. He came in this offseason over 20 pounds lighter than he was last year at this time. He showed up today, what is considered the voluntary day, the extra day of training, to make up for Monday because he was not here. He came in yesterday and today and both days have been excellent workouts. He has been able to complete all of the assigned work. After Day 2, he’s holding strong.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../90318069/1027
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

LenDale...... Oh LenDale........

I've got food.

Old 03-19-2009   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
LenDale...... Oh LenDale........

I've got food.

LenDale just texted. He wanted to know what you got for him after his appetizers are all gone.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
LenDale just texted. He wanted to know what you got for him after his appetizers are all gone.
LMAO!!!

Old 03-19-2009   #20
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

LenDale's website/menu:

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read