Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2009   #41
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

And Houston wants to host another Super Bowl. If you do not support the NFL when they are on TV and in another city, you are not going to be considered a front running city for the Super Bowl. Owners look for reasons not to give cities the Super bowl and Houston has now added another item for them to target when they decide against us.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #42
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
If you knew anything about Texas...Texas has a reputation for loving HIGH SCHOOL football...now stay with me here...this is totally different than the nfl or college football.
I thought I knew something about the people of Texas when it comes to their sentiments about football, maybe I don't ? I'm not from here but my wife is and she along with others in her family are avid football fans, NFL fans. Maybe her family is not that representitive of Houston ? Or maybe
Houston is not representative of Texas ?
What I know is that football, and more the NFL than college or scholastic,
is now and has been for decades our national pasttime and the SB is the World Series of the sport. And it still really surprises me than any other metro area sampled by Neilson (except for SLC), turned out more viewers for the event ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #43
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how many people that live in Houston are transplants from other cities? People that come from other areas may hold onto their own sports allegiances. Places like Texas are ones where people are moving to and its reasonable to conclude that some of them are sports fans that have their own favorite sports teams.

For example, I currently live in Denver. There are non Denver sports related bars here like Longhorns bars, Red Sox bars here, etc. Why? People from other areas that have moved in who want to watch the teams of their youth. I wonder if that is an issue in Houston?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #44
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I wonder how many people that live in Houston are transplants from other cities? People that come from other areas may hold onto their own sports allegiances. Places like Texas are ones where people are moving to and its reasonable to conclude that some of them are sports fans that have their own favorite sports teams.

For example, I currently live in Denver. There are non Denver sports related bars here like Longhorns bars, Red Sox bars here, etc. Why? People from other areas that have moved in who want to watch the teams of their youth. I wonder if that is an issue in Houston?
There are bars for out-of-town teams in the Houston area. Out here in The Woodlands/Spring area there is Steel City Pizzeria on Rayford-Sawdust. That place is 100% all about the Steelers. The colors, the decor, the fans, the place is steela that they have the Steelers emblem engraved into its front door and is an armada of Steeler jerseys on gameday. The Buffalo Wild Wings (formerly BW3) in the Rice Village used to be a huge hangout for Buckeye and Browns fans a few years back when I lived down in Bellaire.

I think our city's 'poor' performance is because of our international demographics more than anything else if you ask me. I think our nice weather plays a factor in it as well. More parties and less people staying at home to watch it snowed in at home.

I love Houston but you gotta admit we are not the 'norm' as far as big cities go when it comes to comparative analysis of statistics. we are very spread out. very multi-cultural. we have been as snakebit as any city's sports fan ever could dream of and don't forget the NFL set favorable conditions to our original team being taken from us in the first place. They lost some goodwill and a measure of interest.

for all we know they included numbers that could still be affected from Ike. things on the coast are still pretty bad.
Old 02-03-2009   #45
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that I yelled for the Steelers to win. I hate em from the Oiler days but I wanted them to win so I could rub it in all the cowboy fans faces that the Steelers have 6 rings. One for the left baby. They can't stand it.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #46
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post

I am one of those transplants. Originally from Boston via San Francisco. I still root for the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins and 49ers.

But I am a Texans fan first over everybody. Maybe because I was here before the Texans were. I have a few items from the above mentioned teams, but I have a lot of Texans stuff.

The offseason seems to get longer each year.
Old 02-03-2009   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I think our city's 'poor' performance is because of our international demographics more than anything else if you ask me. I think our nice weather plays a factor in it as well. More parties and less people staying at home to watch it snowed in at home.
Cities from Seattle to Miami are just as international as we are. Miami is of course probably the most Latino metro area in the country, but those people are passionate only about the soccer version of football not the American/NFL version, so blaming Houstons indifference about the SB can't be attributed to exotic demographics. And the winter weather in places like SF, LA, ATL, and Miami are certainly comparable if not superior to Houstons. Lets face, this city is anything but the football hotbed some make it out to be. I mean how can it be when the "caffe latte" crowd in Seattle likes viewing the SB more than Houston ? That's insulting !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2009   #48
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Houston was the second-lowest rated market in the country for Sunday’s Super Bowl broadcast on NBC, topping only Salt Lake City among the 56 major markets measured by Nielsen Media Research.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6242345.html
Good for Houston because we should have been hosting the superbowl anyway. Next year back to miami...3 out of 4 years in florida? I don't care if Houston doesn't host another superbowl. I would rather have the Texans in the bowl instead of hosting.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #49
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cities from Seattle to Miami are just as international as we are. Miami is of course probably the most Latino metro area in the country, but those people are passionate only about the soccer version of football not the American/NFL version, so blaming Houstons indifference about the SB can't be attributed to exotic demographics. And the winter weather in places like SF, LA, ATL, and Miami are certainly comparable if not superior to Houstons. Lets face, this city is anything but the football hotbed some make it out to be. I mean how can it be when the "caffe latte" crowd in Seattle likes viewing the SB more than Houston ? That's insulting !
Its going to take some time for us to build up a respectable fan base imo. Eight years in and we still have nothing much to show for it. I remember I was a college freshman when we played our inaugural season. I was pretty excited and followed the team but I was a casual fan. Every single season this team and the NFL have grown on me to the point I am now and have been for the last few years a rabid Texans fan. I have to know what is going on with the team at all times now and I doubt I will miss a game on Sunday/Monday/Thursday for the rest of my life. All it takes is 1 season to become a fan and its a habit that is almost impossible to drop once it hits. This fanbase will explode when we make our first playoff run. A lot of those fans will be bandwagon but I would wager than once they get on they enjoy the view and stick around for a long long time.

Another thing, does anyone here really NEED to be a part of a top fanbase to enjoy this team? As long as there is a sellout crowd every gameday that shows up (win and this will happen) I could care less. Teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas are rare, they are the result of a long and storied history. The numbers are stacked against us ever having that kind of long-term success but that doesn't mean we can't win some football games.
Old 02-03-2009   #50
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well like I said, I knew of a few parties that were having over 15 people plus..which brings me to this..who here hosted or went to a party that had at least 15 people..

I know some of you did...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #51
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Well like I said, I knew of a few parties that were having over 15 people plus..which brings me to this..who here hosted or went to a party that had at least 15 people..

I'm in Corpus so I don't count but just for the point you are trying to make my house had 13 people.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #52
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's be honest folks. Houston is a GREAT football town, when we win. Fans jump on and off the bandwagon so much I'm surprised they can even remember when to jump. Everyone has that Texas size opinon also. How many fans have we lost because they simply got pissed off because the FO didn't do what they thought they should do. Every year we hear, "I'll selling my tickets IF!!" Truth be told, we have a handful of diehards, and a boatload of maybe's. Let the Texans make the playoffs and watch the "maybe's" come out of the woodwork!! We'll suddenly have more "diehards" than we know what to do with.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #53
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I stopped by two before going to the party where I actually watched it. The first party had about 10 people, but that was also a few hours before the game started and I know a lot more were expected to show up as kickoff approached. The second party had about 10 people also (but that's all they were expecting). The party I wound up had about 20 and 5 kids. That's about 40+ people watching on 3 sets, none of which had Nielson's box...
Old 02-03-2009   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Let's be honest folks. Houston is a GREAT football town, when we win. Fans jump on and off the bandwagon so much I'm surprised they can even remember when to jump. Everyone has that Texas size opinon also. How many fans have we lost because they simply got pissed off because the FO didn't do what they thought they should do. Every year we hear, "I'll selling my tickets IF!!" Truth be told, we have a handful of diehards, and a boatload of maybe's. Let the Texans make the playoffs and watch the "maybe's" come out of the woodwork!! We'll suddenly have more "diehards" than we know what to do with.
The Texans are the 4th most profitable franchise & have never had a winning record. They have sold out every game since their inception. I dont think you can question Texans fans loyalty. I think you can question ownerships comittment to their fans by putting a winning team on the field.

I renewed my season tickets this year. If the team stinks this year & I dont renew my tickets in 2010 bcause of the combination of the economy & the teams lak of comittnent to winning does that make me a bandwagon fan?

I had 32 people @ my Super Bowl party.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #55
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Look, you've been presented with plenty of input, and if you still have it in your head that the label "football town" must equate to viewing the SB, then it doesn't appear that anyone is going to change it.

High school football is huge here. Houston puts out as much football talent as any city in America. College football is big here. The Texans sell out every game, despite the team never having a winning season. So no one cared about this year's Super Bowl. If that makes us a bad football town in your eyes, despite all the evidence to the contrary, then so be it.
Old 02-03-2009   #56
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans are the 4th most profitable franchise & have never had a winning record. They have sold out every game since their inception. I dont think you can question Texans fans loyalty. I think you can question ownerships comittment to their fans by putting a winning team on the field.

I renewed my season tickets this year. If the team stinks this year & I dont renew my tickets in 2010 bcause of the combination of the economy & the teams lak of comittnent to winning does that make me a bandwagon fan?

I had 32 people @ my Super Bowl party.

Difference selling them out and showing up.... The last few years alone, there isn't more than 80% in the house, and sometimes it seems less than that when you see BIG blocks of empty seats..
And who cares if Houston is a football town or not.. Houston is not alot of alot of stuff anyways !! But I am a football guy as well as alot of others, so if our city is not labeled one, so be it !
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Difference selling them out and showing up.... The last few years alone, there isn't more than 80% in the house, and sometimes it seems less than that when you see BIG blocks of empty seats..
And who cares if Houston is a football town or not.. Houston is not alot of alot of stuff anyways !! But I am a football guy as well as alot of others, so if our city is not labeled one, so be it !
Agreed

I just have a problem with the Texans sending out season ticket renewals before the Super Bowl.

People like to tailgate & get to their seats late, that is why it seems like the Stadium is 80% full @ kickoff. This is part of the gameday expirience. It doesn't mean you are not a fan if you aren't in your seats @ game time.

When you have spent $40,000 in season tickets for the product the Texans have put on the field I think fans have earned the right to tailgate as long as they want to & get into the stadium after kickoff.
Old 02-03-2009   #58
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

What difference does it make?

Houston HAS a football team and they aren't going anywhere.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #59
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

I'm just tired of people saying we are a bad football town when we support a team that is the 4th most profitable team in the NFL.

The team has never had a winning record & we fans still support the team anyways. That is the definition of a great fan base.

You can look @ this MB & although we disagree we are very loyal fans.
Old 02-03-2009   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm just tired of people saying we are a bad football town when we support a team that is the 4th most profitable team in the NFL.

The team has never had a winning record & we fans still support the team anyways. That is the definition of a great fan base.

You can look @ this MB & although we disagree we are very loyal fans.
J/C:

How long have you lived in the City of Houston?

How many transplants live here?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read