Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2009   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

Everything is bigger in Texas including the parties and the tv's!! My explanation is that we're a lot more friendlier here thus have more friends and enjoy being in the company of others. In larger markets people are more likely to watch the superbowl in their home by themselves because they are mean and nobody likes them.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #22
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Have you watched games where opposing teams fans really show up in the stands?

Did you see the towels yesterday at the game?

Most Steeler out of town games are well represented by their fans in the stands, waving their towels. Ask Titan fans.

Winning or losing, Pittsburgh is a football town.

How many games have you seen where the "cheeseheads" are in attendance at the opponents stadims?

Winning or losing, Green Bay is a football town. Huge waiting list for tickets for many many years.

Reliant stadium is sold out for every game. How many "fans" show up? I see lots of empty seats before, during, and even more empty seats before the game is even over. Gotta beat the traffic mentality.

Houston has a few very good, die hard fans, but Houston is a jumping on the bandwagon when the team wins kind of city. Always has been.

Think we will ever see hundreds of Texan flags being waved in our opponents stadiums, even if we are winning?

Flame me if you want, but that is the way I see it.

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 02-02-2009 at 02:12 PM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #23
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

guess you've never seen photos of the Astrodome during the LuvYaBlue days.

I moved to the US in the late 80s & can remember P-Up tricks w/the Oilers' logo & colours. As ugly as those trucks looked, they still sold.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when people say Houston is a football town it has more to do with High School and College than the NFL. Actually, that applies for the entire state of Texas in general. Sure there are Cowboy fans with a few of us Texan fans sprinkled in, but I think a majority will side with HS and College ball.

Personally, I love to watch all levels of Football. During the season there will be weekends where I catch a game Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Up until my son entered High School there were Thursday's too.

Other than watching my son play, my #1 priority are Texans games. Then it's High School football, then College.

Texas loves it's High School football.
Old 02-02-2009   #25
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Look on the bright side........atleast Houston beat Utah at something.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #26
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
McNair is lucky, but as big of a city as Houston is (and considering all the outlying areas) there should be a lot more fan support for the Texans.

I personally don't meet many people in everyday life here who would consider themselves Texan "fans". Most people I know really don't care about them.

When I see a Texans logo on the back of someones truck or if I see someone wearing a Texans hat I always wonder if it's someone on this board.

That's pretty sad if you think about what that means.
I do the same thing when I'm in Houston. I always get happy when I see that. It's sad really. In Dallas-Fort Worth, you can't escape that star. It's everywhere and rightfully so. Just give the Texans more time. You definitely see Astros stuff everywhere, but in DFW, the Rangers are just like the Texans.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #27
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5133

From the above link I see we were busy doing better things than watching Cinderella meets Goliath
Old 02-02-2009   #28
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Super Bowl ratings drop from '08 peak

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Preliminary Nielsen Media Research ratings show the Super Bowl's audience was likely down from last year's peak, but about on par with the 2007 and 2006 games.

The Steelers defeat the Cardinals 27-23 in one of the most memorable Super Bowls ever.
The Pittsburgh Steelers-Arizona Cardinals game on NBC recorded a 42.1 rating and 65 share in Nielsen's overnight measurement of the nation's top cities. The same measurement for last year's New York Giants-New England Patriots game, which was the most-watched Super Bowl ever, was 44.7.

The 2007 preliminary rating was identical to this year's, and the 2006 game was 42.2, Nielsen said. Each rating point represents 1,145,000 households. The share means 65 percent of the televisions turned on during the game were tuned to the game.

A viewership estimate was not immediately available, but will likely be about 90 million.
link

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #29
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
It's a fairweather town, and when coupled with the fact that nobody from the region was in the game I don't see why anybody is surprised by this.
Well Arizona is kinda close to Texas isnt it ?
Old 02-02-2009   #30
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
guess you've never seen photos of the Astrodome during the LuvYaBlue days.

I moved to the US in the late 80s & can remember P-Up tricks w/the Oilers' logo & colours. As ugly as those trucks looked, they still sold.

You've made my point.

You are a new comer, I've attended and watched Oiler games since 1960.

Ever seen photos of the Astrodome during the coach Peterson era, the coach Taylor era, the 1-13 years, the stadium was emmmpty.

I don't need photos, Mrs. and I were there.

I was there at Rice stadium. Some games I had my choice of where I wanted to sit. Fifty yard line, no problem.

Remember the Monday night game, with the lone Oiler fan " giving the we're #1 signal (extended middle finger) according to Dandy Don.

The stadium was emmmpty. Nationwide broadcast, empty stadium.

Like I said...

LuvYaBlue years were when the team was winning..the fans turned out.

Old 02-02-2009   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Houston is a football town. It's just not an NFL town, aside from the Texans. In other words, Houston supports its local football, at every level. I'd dare say college football is well watched here as well. Just because no one gives a rat's ass about ARI or PIT doesn't mean we're not a football town. It just means we're not an NFL-at-all-costs town.

Personally, I watched the SB, but I'm regretting it, because my time would have been better spent doing schoolwork. With regards to the Texans, I have only felt that way after the very worst of losses.
Old 02-02-2009   #32
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Texas is a great football state (the greatest) but that doesn't mean Houston is a great football town or that our fans are the best. Far from it. We put a lot of talent in the NFL as a city, but our fans are pretty lackluster. Texans fans are starting to get the picture though. The tailgating gets better every year and we now have a non-losing product on the field....so baby steps.

Houston fans are generally pretty casual for lack of a better term and they only come out when the teams are winning. As far as the fans watching the Super Bowl that is a pretty skewed number because our city has decent weather where a lot of our fans could go to a bar/restaurant/party to watch the game with other people whereas other cities are cold, icy, and snowed in....which means people are less likely to hold a party or go to a bar. That makes other cities' numbers look more impressive at first glance.

Face it, this is the same fanbase that supported Carr for 5 years through hell and high water making excuse after excuse for the guy even though it was painfully obvious the dude totally sucked, with many fans still clamoring for him to be brought back for a 6th season. This is the same fanbase that thought Bagwell was anything more than an overpaid choke job/steroid addict. They built a statue of the guy for crying out loud. That is called low expectations but what else can you expect from McKKKLane. Bagwell had good meaningless stats and his skin had the right pigmentation. Why not build a statue for the guy? frankly, im surprised they didn't name the stadium after the loser. Not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Its just brutal truth and at least on the Texans front, people are starting to think with their mind and less with their heart.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 02-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Texas is a great football state (the greatest) but that doesn't mean Houston is a great football town or that our fans are the best. Far from it. We put a lot of talent in the NFL as a city, but our fans are pretty lackluster. Texans fans are starting to get the picture though. The tailgating gets better every year and we now have a non-losing product on the field....so baby steps.

Houston fans are generally pretty casual for lack of a better term and they only come out when the teams are winning. As far as the fans watching the Super Bowl that is a pretty skewed number because our city has decent weather where a lot of our fans could go to a bar/restaurant/party to watch the game with other people whereas other cities are cold, icy, and snowed in....which means people are less likely to hold a party or go to a bar. That makes other cities' numbers look more impressive at first glance.

Face it, this is the same fanbase that supported Carr for 5 years through hell and high water making excuse after excuse for the guy even though it was painfully obvious the dude totally sucked, with many fans still clamoring for him to be brought back for a 6th season. This is the same fanbase that thought Bagwell was anything more than an overpaid choke job/steroid addict. They built a statue of the guy for crying out loud. That is called low expectations but what else can you expect from McKKKLane. Bagwell had good meaningless stats and his skin had the right pigmentation. Why not build a statue for the guy? frankly, im surprised they didn't name the stadium after the loser. Not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Its just brutal truth and at least on the Texans front, people are starting to think with their mind and less with their heart.
Yeah, you had me until the last paragraph. Hard for me to call Drayton, "McKKKLane" when he pays a black manager to manage his baseball team.....also it isn't Drayton's fault that young black athletes simply don't care about baseball anymore and their #s in the sport are dwindling.

Also hard for me to fault the guy for building a statue of one of the franchise's greatest players.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #34
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

We had around 120 people at our Super Bowl Party, so we help skew those numbers.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #35
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
McNair is lucky, but as big of a city as Houston is (and considering all the outlying areas) there should be a lot more fan support for the Texans.

I personally don't meet many people in everyday life here who would consider themselves Texan "fans". Most people I know really don't care about them.

When I see a Texans logo on the back of someones truck or if I see someone wearing a Texans hat I always wonder if it's someone on this board.

That's pretty sad if you think about what that means.
Texans marketing outside of Houston SUCKS! I am sorry if anyone from marketing reads this but speaking as a fan you are doing a bad job!

Old 02-02-2009   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Disagree. See, if you change this to say "Houston is not a great NFL town" then maybe I can agree to some extent. But come out on a Friday night and the stands are packed.

As for the NFL, well they don't deserve our loyalty after the Oilers debacle. The Texans haven't done anything to destroy our loyalty, but it's hard to take a new franchise and have a better fan base than what we've shown, unless you just start winning immediately.

Notice that I differentiate between the NFL, the Texans, and football in general. Houston is a great football town.
Old 02-02-2009   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Only upon rare occasions do Houston fans get to wallow in the promised land of won champioinships. It's our nature to be wary, experience has tought us that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice weather outside last night.

At the SB party I was at, we had two TVs outside so it was all good.

I was a Nielsen family for a year. It's kind of weird. First of all, they lied and said their equipment they attach to your TV isn't obtrusive. That is bull. It looks like crap, makes noises, takes forever to install, and runs the risk of busting your TV. Basically, you have to be an ***** to be a Nielsen family, and I felt totally suckered for being a kind person agreeing to do this stuff.

It also made me paranoid about what I was watching on TV. I banned people from watching awful stuff. There was lots of Spongebob I am sure during that time period.
Old 02-02-2009   #39
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah, you had me until the last paragraph. Hard for me to call Drayton, "McKKKLane" when he pays a black manager to manage his baseball team.....also it isn't Drayton's fault that young black athletes simply don't care about baseball anymore and their #s in the sport are dwindling.

Also hard for me to fault the guy for building a statue of one of the franchise's greatest players.
Second Honeymoon is a Cardinal troll where baseball is concerned. I wouldn't put any stock into what he says about the Astros.
Old 02-02-2009   #40
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
You mean because of the old Oilers-Steelers rivalry ? Then you turn on
the tube and yell for the Cardinals.
But see Houston is in TX, now stay with me here its not rocket-science, and TX has a reputation for loving football. Right ?
And I would think a sour economy would mean for more TV viewing ?
But this is humiliating to find that places like San Fran & LA had more interest in the years biggest football game than Houston !
I dunno, maybe McNair is lucky he's got as much fan support as he has ?
I find your condescending attitude offensive! Brando is one of the biggest football fans around and I think he understands the big picture.

If you knew anything about Texas...Texas has a reputation for loving HIGH SCHOOL football...now stay with me here...this is totally different than the nfl or college football.

Just like in sports stats, ratings statistics can lie. Maybe Houstonians throw bigger parties and there were less televisions on because of this???
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read