Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

Houston was the second-lowest rated market in the country for Sunday’s Super Bowl broadcast on NBC, topping only Salt Lake City among the 56 major markets measured by Nielsen Media Research.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6242345.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

come on, it's a fairweather town - you know that.

except for some of the diehards.

Too bad for those that missed it - actually was a pretty good game.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
come on, it's a fairweather town - you know that.

except for some of the diehards.

Too bad for those that missed it - actually was a pretty good game.
It's a fairweather town, and when coupled with the fact that nobody from the region was in the game I don't see why anybody is surprised by this.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 02-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe because a lot of Houston hates the Pittsburgh Steelers?
I know when I first moved to Corpus Christi I didn't even watch the SB because it was Pitt versus Seattle. I went fishing that year.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 02-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I know when I first moved to Corpus Christi I didn't even watch the SB because it was Pitt versus Seattle. I went fishing that year.
Then they should have watched and cheered for the Cardinals. There is no excuse for Houston to be such a poor sports town when it comes to fans, etc....of course not the people here.
Old 02-02-2009   #6
Polo

Houston has every excuse to have "poor fans" when it comes to sporting events...
Old 02-02-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I went fishing that year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Then they should have watched and cheered for the Cardinals. There is no excuse for Houston to be such a poor sports town when it comes to fans, etc....of course not the people here.
Fishing (errrrrr hunting sea kitties) trumps the cheering for the Cardinals
Old 02-02-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean because of the old Oilers-Steelers rivalry ? Then you turn on
the tube and yell for the Cardinals.
But see Houston is in TX, now stay with me here its not rocket-science, and TX has a reputation for loving football. Right ?
And I would think a sour economy would mean for more TV viewing ?
But this is humiliating to find that places like San Fran & LA had more interest in the years biggest football game than Houston !
I dunno, maybe McNair is lucky he's got as much fan support as he has ?
Old 02-02-2009   #9
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Because everybody was watching Puppy Bowl!

Last edited by MannyFresh; 02-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.
MannyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

That's what I did this year. I thought for sure at worst it would go to OT when Fitz scored. Great game and I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Old 02-02-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first year in long time that I followed the playoffs thru to SB. Once Texans out, I may turn on a game for a play or so then watch SB with friends. I have been rooting for Cards and Warner for last two months. Thought they won until that DB slipped down.
Old 02-02-2009   #12
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I knew of at least 5 parties that were going to have 15 people plus there, then add the fact we have tons of sports bars, even though numbers are hard to dispute, those are just tv's turned into the game, has no bearing of how many fans actually watched it...

Like at every game, the Texans have "SOLD OUT" 70 straight....sure, how many actual games has the place been full the last 3 years though....Same thing..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #13
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But see Houston is in TX, now stay with me here its not rocket-science, and TX has a reputation for loving football. Right ?
But this is humiliating to find that places like San Fran & LA had more interest in the years biggest football game than Houston !
I don't put much stock into it, Houston might have had bigger SB parties across town? One TV with a big crowd at the party would skew the ratings.

Old 02-02-2009   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
Because everybody was watching Puppy Bowl!
No, it's on the DVR. The wife said we have to keep it so she can flip it on in the evening if she has a stressful day.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #15
Polo

Quote:
McNair is lucky, but as big of a city as Houston is (and considering all the outlying areas) there should be a lot more fan support for the Texans.

I personally don't meet many people in everyday life here who would consider themselves Texan "fans". Most people I know really don't care about them.

When I see a Texans logo on the back of someones truck or if I see someone wearing a Texans hat I always wonder if it's someone on this board.

That's pretty sad if you think about what that means.
Old 02-02-2009   #16
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
No, it's on the DVR. The wife said we have to keep it so she can flip it on in the evening if she has a stressful day.

Dammit your right, what was I thinking...LOL
Old 02-02-2009   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Humiliating? Really? Humiliating?
Old 02-02-2009   #18
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because we are football fans doesn't mean we watch every single game on the TV even if it is the Super Bowl. There was not a team from this area or this state. Come on it was the Cardinals. You know the team that has not won anything since dirt was discovered.

How many of you actually thought it would be a blow out for the Steelers? Not to many thought the Cards actually had a chance. Almost everyone in the media was predicting the Steelers to win. The fact that it turned out to actually be a pretty good game (besides the fact that the refs looked like they wanted Pit to win) was probably a surprise to a lot of people.
Old 02-02-2009   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Humiliating? Really? Humiliating?
Actually more like mortifying !
I rank SB Sunday in there with Christmas, Thanksgiving, & the 4th of July.
Old 02-02-2009   #20
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually more like mortifying !
I rank SB Sunday in there with Christmas, Thanksgiving, & the 4th of July.
Draft Day is better then the Super Bowl, unless your team wins the game.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read