Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-02-2009   #1
TexansFan33
DW33

Rep Power: 7 TexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansFan33 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Was the superbowl FIXED?

I mean I really didn't care who won the game I'm a Texans fan so... but to me it jus seemed like the Refs were on the steelers side most of the game. The steelers pedestrian offenive line HELD all night and barely any of it was called. How come Kurt Warners last pass was not challenged as an incomplete pass??? (CAN ANYONE SAY TUCK RULE?!). Last, I would like to say did anyone see Santonio after he scored he used the ball as a prop, all year I have seen that penalty called, its excessive celebration which might have had the steelers kicking off from the 20 and not the 35 which may have given the Cardinals a better shot a getting into the endzone at the end of the game. Tell me what yall think and in your opinion if it was fixed or not...
TexansFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Was the superbowl FIXED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan33 View Post
I mean I really didn't care who won the game I'm a Texans fan so... but to me it jus seemed like the Refs were on the steelers side most of the game. The steelers pedestrian offenive line HELD all night and barely any of it was called. How come Kurt Warners last pass was not challenged as an incomplete pass??? (CAN ANYONE SAY TUCK RULE?!). Last, I would like to say did anyone see Santonio after he scored he used the ball as a prop, all year I have seen that penalty called, its excessive celebration which might have had the steelers kicking off from the 20 and not the 35 which may have given the Cardinals a better shot a getting into the endzone at the end of the game. Tell me what yall think and in your opinion if it was fixed or not...
It DID feel like the refs were swinging the Steelers' way a little.

Granted, they DID call the 15-yarder on the Steelers' defensive back that roughed up the receiver out of bounds, which helped the Cards move down the field easier.

But it did feel, in some ways, like the Steelers were supposed to win the thing.

Oh well.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It DID feel like the refs were swinging the Steelers' way a little.

Granted, they DID call the 15-yarder on the Steelers' defensive back that roughed up the receiver out of bounds, which helped the Cards move down the field easier.

But it did feel, in some ways, like the Steelers were supposed to win the thing.

Oh well.
They also gave the Cards 3 15 yarders on one drive, including when Big Ben should have gotten intentional grounding.
Old 02-02-2009   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
They also gave the Cards 3 15 yarders on one drive, including when Big Ben should have gotten intentional grounding.
I agree that the roughing call was unwarranted, and my first thought was that it was intentional grounding, but the replay clearly showed he (Big Ben) was out of the pocket.
Old 02-02-2009   #5
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was saying this the whole game. It was starting to get ridiculous until they called the holding penalty in the end zone.

There was one play that Warner dumped the ball off over the middle and you could see Harrison knock the crap out of Warner in the background. How was that not a late hit?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #6
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad I am not the only one who felt that way.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

No. They made a few bad calls and they went both ways. Roughing call was terrible. The Arizona line was holding all game long and they only called it like 4 times. They held almost everytime the Steelers blitzed. I saw Timmons get his facemask grabbed probably 4 times, and they only called it once, and that was on the Harrison INT so it didn't matter.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2009   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I thought two of the 3 15 yarders was bad....the roughness on Ben was b.s. and so was the defensive holding call. They moved them down the field for a FG. There was 3 quarters where EVERY big play the Cards made...on defense or passes for 1st downs, etc on offense...were affected by penalties. The 4th quarter evened out but the damage was done. There was a big clip on the 100 yard return.
Old 02-02-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I thought two of the 3 15 yarders was bad....the roughness on Ben was b.s. and so was the defensive holding call. They moved them down the field for a FG. There was 3 quarters where EVERY big play the Cards made...on defense or passes for 1st downs, etc on offense...were affected by penalties. The 4th quarter evened out but the damage was done. There was a big clip on the 100 yard return.
Technically the defensive holding call was legit. I wouldn't have called it myself, because it was minor, but he held the guy twice during the play. Once coming off the line and again after the receiver made his cut.

Not sure I would call it b.s but it probably shouldn't have been called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I agree that the roughing call was unwarranted, and my first thought was that it was intentional grounding, but the replay clearly showed he (Big Ben) was out of the pocket.
That's how I see it. Ben was clearly outside the pocket but that roughing call was bad.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
It wasnt roughing, and I couldnt tell if he was or not. It was close. I also didnt know there was a roughing the holder penalty.
Old 02-02-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Technically the defensive holding call was legit. I wouldn't have called it myself, because it was minor, but he held the guy twice during the play. Once coming off the line and again after the receiver made his cut.

Not sure I would call it b.s but it probably shouldn't have been called

That's how I see it. Ben was clearly outside the pocket but that roughing call was bad.
And that really was my point. That is a play you see week in and week out with no calls and then it is called there to move the chains.
Old 02-02-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan33 View Post
Yes, and I want my $10,000 back.
Old 02-02-2009   #13
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

FIXED....WHAT ??

OK, the 100 yd. INT. return and Pitt having to make a 2 minute drive at the very end, that cannot be fixed !...Yes, some calls could have been made or not, but to say it was fixed...NO !
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the calls went the Steelers way, but I don't think the game was fixed.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Steelers had 6 penalties in the 4th qtr alone so you can't say the refs tried to hand them the game. The Cards got hosed in the 3rd qtr while the Steelers did in the 4th. The officiating was terrible, but it was equally bad.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #16
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

guys i'm all for conspiracy theroies, especially when they are against people/ organizations that i would like to see go down in a big fire of their own building. (for example The Da Vinci Code, Valkaryne or whatever, those "the Bush administration planned 9/11" fiasco were even entertaining for a while) but i wouldn't go as far as to say this game was rigged. that last play should have been reviewed but come on, calls go both ways in football and the Super Bowl, although a bigger deal than most, is a football game none the less.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall, the crew just called a bad game. They made bad calls that went both ways.

Poor officiating, but not fixed.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

No, but it did seem to cap a year where there were a ton of bad calls...seemed like this year had either more publicity against bad calls or just flat out more bad calls but I will say the ref-ing was sub-par.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. Go to Super Bowl XLIII thread and you will see my reasons why.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is screwed if these refs are bad...the SB refs are suppose to be the best of the best.

Didn't watch so I can't say this call was bad or no but I've been reading all day long on all kinds of boards about how poorly officiated a game it was.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read