Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Needs List

1. de
  2. s
  3. lb
  4. og/c
  5. dt
  6. rb
  7. db
  8. te
  9. wr
  10. qb
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: Texans Needs List

I'd swap 9 and 10
Old 02-01-2009   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I'd swap 9 and 10
I thought about it but the Texans selected Brink 7th rd. in last year's draft.
Old 02-01-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

If the Texans can address their needs in free agency it would greatly increase taking the best players in the draft who would elevate this teams future. was looking @ this one site that had the Texans Needs as such-
  1. 4-3 DT
  2. DB
  3. 4-3 LB
  4. S
  5. OT

which seemed conflicting to me so I wanted to bring this board & get some feedback. the Texans are set @ OT with Brown/Winston. never had an elite safety. yeah need help @ LB I agree & if they don't resign Dunta CB moves way up on the list but another DT & not DE as the top need?
Old 02-01-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the most glaring needs are DE and safety. After that, patch up the holes with BPA.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

If ALL we do this offseason is finally acquire a decent free safety, i will be ecstatic. No more 4th rounders, or castoff vets. Give me a top 10 fs in the league please.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw one mock that had us taking Vontae Davis (CB) in the 1st & Sean Smith (CB/S) in the 2nd round. That's an interesting way of looking at it. If we could address DE in free agency (Canty, Adeyanju, Peppers, Berry), then going after Davis & Smith might not be a bad idea.

Is there any reason why we couldn't run 4 CB's out there?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2009   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Either MLB or NT

DeMeco got eaten alive by blockers with the crap DT play in front of him. Either a beast MLB like Rey Rey needs to be drafted and let DeMeco get kicked to outside or draft a NT to soak up blocks.

Play-making WR to pair with AJ or to give us a slot guy if you are a Walter lover
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #9
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm conflicted with saftey and DE being the biggest needs. I guess I'd say Saftey slightly edges out DE. With that being said, I believe we should go with a DE in the first round due to the lack of premiere talent at the saftey posistion in this years draft.

I've also heard a lot of talk about taking an OLB with our first pick. I've tried wraping my mind around this one. Honestly, I like our linebacking corps. Ryans is the cornerstone without a doubt. Our two youngersters, Dyles and Adibi, both look to be progressing nicley. We do need Dyles to stay healthy and continue to improve and we need Adibi to add some lbs. With that being said, Dyles was leading our team in tackles before he got hurt and Adibi seemed to be consistantly around the ball. If a 1st round prospect drops to the 3rd round then I think we should take a hard look at him. I dont think it is a position that needs to be addressed in the first.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I thought about it but the Texans selected Brink 7th rd. in last year's draft.
And he was so impressive they cut him. It wasn't until Schaub was hurt that they resigned him to the practice squad, so don't pull they had him on the practice squad argument. Brink was a wasted pick. They should have taken Aldridge with that pick.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #11
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you guys sure we don't need a DT?LMAO!!!I want to draft Jeria Perry from Ole Miss but I wish we had not wasted our other first round DT pick TJ.
Sal Rosenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
Are you guys sure we don't need a DT?LMAO!!!I want to draft Jeria Perry from Ole Miss but I wish we had not wasted our other first round DT pick TJ.
Peria is another Amobi, something we probably don't need even one of

We need beef like Ron Brace in the middle
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
And he was so impressive they cut him. It wasn't until Schaub was hurt that they resigned him to the practice squad, so don't pull they had him on the practice squad argument. Brink was a wasted pick. They should have taken Aldridge with that pick.
Texans only like to carry two QB's on their active roster then stash one on the practice squad, don't give up on Brink so easily
Old 02-01-2009   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedJeff View Post
I'm conflicted with saftey and DE being the biggest needs. I guess I'd say Saftey slightly edges out DE. With that being said, I believe we should go with a DE in the first round due to the lack of premiere talent at the saftey posistion in this years draft.

I've also heard a lot of talk about taking an OLB with our first pick. I've tried wraping my mind around this one. Honestly, I like our linebacking corps. Ryans is the cornerstone without a doubt. Our two youngersters, Dyles and Adibi, both look to be progressing nicley. We do need Dyles to stay healthy and continue to improve and we need Adibi to add some lbs. With that being said, Dyles was leading our team in tackles before he got hurt and Adibi seemed to be consistantly around the ball. If a 1st round prospect drops to the 3rd round then I think we should take a hard look at him. I dont think it is a position that needs to be addressed in the first.
It depends on who falls to us. If we take ReyRey, he'd be an upgrade at SAM over Diles and we could even re-arrange our LB's and put Demeco at SAM and Rey at Mike. That MIGHT be a better overall configuration. And if the elite DE's that we have on our board are already gone, then it might make sense to go ahead and upgrade the LB's. The fact that both Adibi and Diles have had problems staying on the field worries me.

So, I'm not going to be upset if they decide to upgrade the LB's in the first. I don't think it's our biggest position of need but it might make the most sense when need hits available talent.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #15
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It depends on who falls to us. If we take ReyRey, he'd be an upgrade at SAM over Diles and we could even re-arrange our LB's and put Demeco at SAM and Rey at Mike. That MIGHT be a better overall configuration. And if the elite DE's that we have on our board are already gone, then it might make sense to go ahead and upgrade the LB's. The fact that both Adibi and Diles have had problems staying on the field worries me.

So, I'm not going to be upset if they decide to upgrade the LB's in the first. I don't think it's our biggest position of need but it might make the most sense when need hits available talent.
I completley agree. The draft is a funny animal and very strange things tend to happen. I'm looking foward to the combine. There are a lot of players that i'm curious to see where they rank when its all said and done with. That Johnson kid from Ga. Tech seems to have really great size and speed. Most mocks have him as a very low first rounder. He seems to be ideal to have opposite Mario. Also a lot of mocks have us going after Everet Brown from Fl State. I dont know much about him. What I do know kind of scares me. Devensive linemen from florida state have not been very successfull in the NFL. Maybe Brown will end up the exception and not the rule.
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We can't really tell what they might draft until free agency is over with anyway. I would assume the Texans will play in the FA pool, but how is the question.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
  1. de
  2. s
  3. lb
  4. og/c
  5. dt
  6. rb
  7. db
  8. te
  9. wr
  10. qb
  1. de (really 1a)
  2. s (really 1b)
  3. og/c
  4. rb
  5. lb
  6. db
  7. dt
  8. wr
  9. te
  10. qb

Here's my rationale:

We need to improve our red zone offense. I think we can do that by improving the inside of our line and by adding a bruising running back. I was hesitant to put OG/C this high because I don't want to mess with the chemistry of the line. But I think we can improve the interior.

I dropped DT from a position of importance because I think that the change in defensive philosophy is going to improve our DT play. I think that the shift from a read and react/sideline to sideline to an up-the-field, gap shooting approach is going to utilize our DT's to their best ability. I think Amobi and TJ are both going to improve dramatically.

I think WR is more important than TE. I think we can upgrade Anderson and/or Davis.

The LB position is the one that I'm not sure about. If a really quality LB like a Rey Maualuga (sp) drops to us... it's going to be hard to say no. And if someone like a Cushing or a Matthews has a great Combine, it's going to be hard to say no to them. And although I like Diles, I think we can upgrade him. I was tempted to move LB up but I think we might be OK.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

#1 FA priority is to re-sign Dunta Robinson

in regards to his medical condition the Texans know him better than anyone.
Old 02-01-2009   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
  1. de (really 1a)
  2. s (really 1b)
  3. og/c
  4. rb
  5. lb
  6. db
  7. dt
  8. wr
  9. te
  10. qb

Here's my rationale:

We need to improve our red zone offense. I think we can do that by improving the inside of our line and by adding a bruising running back. I was hesitant to put OG/C this high because I don't want to mess with the chemistry of the line. But I think we can improve the interior.

I dropped DT from a position of importance because I think that the change in defensive philosophy is going to improve our DT play. I think that the shift from a read and react/sideline to sideline to an up-the-field, gap shooting approach is going to utilize our DT's to their best ability. I think Amobi and TJ are both going to improve dramatically.

I think WR is more important than TE. I think we can upgrade Anderson and/or Davis.

The LB position is the one that I'm not sure about. If a really quality LB like a Rey Maualuga (sp) drops to us... it's going to be hard to say no. And if someone like a Cushing or a Matthews has a great Combine, it's going to be hard to say no to them. And although I like Diles, I think we can upgrade him. I was tempted to move LB up but I think we might be OK.
I embrace your viewpoint, but I think the odds are Texans will have their pick of safety @#15 over defensive end & select a free safety with range to play centerfielder, explosive closing speed & physical enough in run support
Old 02-01-2009   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Really? A wasted pick in the 7th huh? No such thing. While we have been incredibly lucky the last few years by getting production from our 7th rounders, that certainly isnt the norm. Like beer lover already stated hiding a qb on the practice squad is pretty comon place not just with the Texans but around the league. Give the Texans some tie with Brink to develope. If he doesnt oh well its just a flyer in the 7th. If e does then we struck gold.

Very low risk high reward scenario.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read